AVS Forum banner

3221 - 3240 of 3336 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
The problem with the LG apps is that there just aren’t as many as offered in the AppleTV 4K. The software is also cumbersome at best.
I don’t find this to be the case with the exception of hbo Max not being offered. The LG Apple TV app worked better for me the the actual physical apple TV did.

·
Registered
204 Posts
They really aren’t.

TV’s, dongles and sticks are all in the underwhelming and underpowered camp, for the most part, so comparing them is somewhat futile.

Once someone has used a truly dedicated and powerful streaming box, like an ATV or Shield, etc, there is no comparison when coming from apps on a TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In what way are they not? What streaming app performs better on a Shield or ATV than on LG WebOS?

Every major US streaming app (netflix, hulu, amazon prime, disney+, peacock, paramount) has an LG app that at the top quality those services offer , while other devices tend to have holes here or there. Hulu plays at 4k/HDR on Apple and LG, but not on Shield.

Where ATV really loses me is in YouTube support (i watch a lot of YouTube personally, mostly about video games, example: Digital Foundry)
LG is the only one of those that plays Youtube at top quality.:
Apple 4k TV: Youtube maxes out at 4k/30fps.
Nvidia Shield: Youtube maxes out at 4k/60fps
LG OLED: Youtube maxes out at 4k/HDR10/60fps.

HBO Max is potentially coming to WebOS next month anyway, the rumor was that Samsung got a one year exclusive on tv manufacturer created apps, one year is up at the end of May.

Nvidia Shield and Apple 4k TV have their advantages for sure, but its in playing lossless audio from local files.

In the end all three devices are the top of their class....almost every other device out there, including chromecasts have services where you wont get 4k or HDR, or Atmos, or Dolby Vision even when they technically offer them.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I just bought the 700 from Costco. I don’t need anything fancy, I’m just using it with a 1080p projector. I replaced a Denon that was at least 8 years old. I’m surprised the GUI on this new receiver is no better than my old Denon. Also the sound is missing something. Im keeping it anyway.

any tips on getting the best bitrate from Spotify when streaming to the Yamaha?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the exact same problem. I have a Samsung Q6 from 2019. What I have to do is unplug the TSR-700 for about 15 seconds then plug it back in. Then the e-arc starts working again.
So to recap: the problem is that ARC is working for one day, but the next morning there is no sound from the TV (Samsung).

Yes, both unplugging and also disabling/enabling ARC in the receiver solves this, but it is impractical to do on a daily basis.

Here is what I did: I deleted from the TV the universal remote which I had previously setup for RX-V4A and the next morning I still had sound from the TV, so that was a step in the right direction.

However, in the afternoon I lost the sound again, but this time the TV displayed a weird message, it said that "your device is connected to a HDMI port which does not support ARC".

Of course this wasn't true, so it's most likely a TV issue.
I unplugged everything and restarted and then the TV auto recognized the receiver, now it displays RX-V4A in its input source list without me setting it up in any way.

And this morning it worked allright, so I am hopeful.

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys, recent owner of V4A here and of course I have ARC issues (weird issues).

The ARC works allright, Samsung TV controls receiver power and outputs DD or DD+ if available, all is ok.

However, it only works for one day :)) The next morning, when I turn on, receiver says Decoder Off and there is no sound from the TV.

So I know this sounds ridiculous, but I have tested this 4 days straight: when I go to bed everything works ok (I test it by turning all off and then back on), but in the morning it does not work :)

Disabling and re-enabling the ARC option in the receiver solves it, but this is unacceptable....

So, did anyone have this kind of problem and if yes, did you find a solution? I could not find anything similar here, but it is a long topic so appologies if already discussed.

both the receiver and the TV have the latest firmware (1.31 for the yamaha)

Neither device is unplugged etc during the night, so i's weird that I get these handshake issues in the morning.

receiver configuration:
HDMI control = ON
Standby through = AUTO
ARC=ON
Standby Sync = AUTO
4K Upscaling = OFF

thank you
I have this exact issue with my V6A since 1.31 firmware update. Worked flawlessly with 1.26 firmware.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have this exact issue with my V6A since 1.31 firmware update. Worked flawlessly with 1.26 firmware.
I had some weird CEC issues now and then until i turned off Auto Power Standby, probably not your issue, but figured id throw that out there.

Setup > Function > ECO > Auto Power Standby> Timer (turn to off)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Phono has a pre-amp to boost the low level signal from a phono cartridge.
Hi - I am a new RX-V6A/TSR-700 owner. I have an existing, external turntable and preamp. As I understand, from your previous response, the analog PHONO input on this AVR also has a built-in preamp, correct? In other words, the signal would already be amplified coming off my external preamp then amplified a second time by the receiver?

Assuming that's the case, do you know whether RCA audio inputs 3-5 on this receiver bypass the internal preamp of the receiver for use with your own external preamp?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys, recent owner of V4A here and of course I have ARC issues (weird issues).

The ARC works allright, Samsung TV controls receiver power and outputs DD or DD+ if available, all is ok.

However, it only works for one day :)) The next morning, when I turn on, receiver says Decoder Off and there is no sound from the TV.

So I know this sounds ridiculous, but I have tested this 4 days straight: when I go to bed everything works ok (I test it by turning all off and then back on), but in the morning it does not work :)

Disabling and re-enabling the ARC option in the receiver solves it, but this is unacceptable....

So, did anyone have this kind of problem and if yes, did you find a solution? I could not find anything similar here, but it is a long topic so appologies if already discussed.

both the receiver and the TV have the latest firmware (1.31 for the yamaha)

Neither device is unplugged etc during the night, so i's weird that I get these handshake issues in the morning.

receiver configuration:
HDMI control = ON
Standby through = AUTO
ARC=ON
Standby Sync = AUTO
4K Upscaling = OFF

thank you
Also, if I turn off the Yamaha while the TV is on, the next time I turn on the TV the Yamaha no longer turns on automatically. This also happens since 1.31 firmware update... Great work, Yamaha!

·
Registered
5 Posts
This isn't major but sort of an annoyance and wondering whether I'm the only one. I can't rename the Scenes from the web interface (http://(ipaddress)/setup). I can click the Scene Name field and get a pop-up to name, but after I click OK it stays on whatever it was. I've also noticed that renaming from the MusicCast app doesn't change what displays on the receiver screen or OSD. Are we forced to name scenes from the slow, clunky menus? Gotta say, I'm not a fan of those, or the poor effective angle of the IR remote.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Love the LG apps compared to any tv, Apple TV, Samsung tv apps. Been thoroughly impressed with the LG coming from a high end 2015 Samsung. LG is a streaming beast. Beautiful picture while streaming and audio is awesom. Some lip sync issues with hulu but not in any other apps.
If you’ve truly owned and used an ATV and still think this, you are in a very small minority.

To each his own...

·
Registered
84 Posts
In what way are they not? What streaming app performs better on a Shield or ATV than on LG WebOS?

Every major US streaming app (netflix, hulu, amazon prime, disney+, peacock, paramount) has an LG app that at the top quality those services offer , while other devices tend to have holes here or there. Hulu plays at 4k/HDR on Apple and LG, but not on Shield.

Where ATV really loses me is in YouTube support (i watch a lot of YouTube personally, mostly about video games, example: Digital Foundry)
LG is the only one of those that plays Youtube at top quality.:
Apple 4k TV: Youtube maxes out at 4k/30fps.
Nvidia Shield: Youtube maxes out at 4k/60fps
LG OLED: Youtube maxes out at 4k/HDR10/60fps.

HBO Max is potentially coming to WebOS next month anyway, the rumor was that Samsung got a one year exclusive on tv manufacturer created apps, one year is up at the end of May.

Nvidia Shield and Apple 4k TV have their advantages for sure, but its in playing lossless audio from local files.

In the end all three devices are the top of their class....almost every other device out there, including chromecasts have services where you wont get 4k or HDR, or Atmos, or Dolby Vision even when they technically offer them.
True, there are pros and cons with each device.

It comes down the the raw processing power and support for me. The CPU power of TV’s, even the newest ones, still don’t stack up to the A class processor in the ATV. This manifests many issues on the lesser devices. Then you have long term developer support and app priority. TV’s apps will be deprecated long before any of the same on the ATV. tvOS is first class for app development priority.

For the long term, for me, a dedicated box has been the smartest play.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This isn't major but sort of an annoyance and wondering whether I'm the only one. I can't rename the Scenes from the web interface (http://(ipaddress)/setup). I can click the Scene Name field and get a pop-up to name, but after I click OK it stays on whatever it was. I've also noticed that renaming from the MusicCast app doesn't change what displays on the receiver screen or OSD. Are we forced to name scenes from the slow, clunky menus? Gotta say, I'm not a fan of those, or the poor effective angle of the IR remote.
It will only allow an update from the Web interface while the receiver is powered on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got rid of the pink screen by changing the HDR settings on the fire tv stick but the receiver is still cutting the picture out to a black screen every 15 minutes, and then it comes back. This is ridiculous, I have Zeskit cables and everything. There's obviously some handshake issue going on here

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
What streaming app performs better on a Shield or ATV than on LG WebOS?
Well, the Apple TV app performs much better on the Apple TV 4K than on LG WebOS for one.

Reactions: themcbrooms
3221 - 3240 of 3336 Posts