AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the opportunity to virtually "attend" Hisense's product launch, which was made even more fun in that it was hosted by Joel McHale. Below, is a screenshot of the displays rolled out at this event, followed by my notes of additional details not covered in the chart.

Many of the sets in this line come with Roku as well as Hisense's own Viida platform. All appear to have "Hey Google" voice-activated remotes.

Not listed above but included in the presentation is the L5F short-throw, 120-inch Laser Cinema, listed at $4,999.99

My notes:
U7G: 120Hz native panel, high speed HDMI. FreeSync premium Auto Low latency.
U8G: Quantam dot color, HDR 10+ and Dolby Vision IQ
U9DG: The first Dual Cell ULED*, 2 million local dimming zones, 2,000,000:1 local contrast, Filmaker Mode, IMAX Enhanced plus all the gamer features the U7G has.

* luminescence control panel goes behind the LED panel for better contrast

I posted this thread for a discussion of these products. While some brand comparisons are inevitable, I don't want this to become a company bashing or alternate-brand fan trolling opportunity. If I see that happening, I'll just remove the member's posting privileges pending an explanation. So, be civil.

Disclosure: I don't own any Hisense products nor stock in the company. I have no financial interest in Hisense nor its subsidiaries. I receive no compensation of any kind from this site or any manufacturers discussed herein. So there.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Which models are available in 85" +?

Reactions: tanman and Mystaken

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hisesnse hasn’t been on my purchasing radar, but the gaming focused one has piqued my interest. We’ll have to see what the reviews say though.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Not really 2 million zones. Even their own website says its just over 100 zones: Dual-cell ULED 4K TV U9DG - Hisense Global

What they are trying to claim with the 2 million number is more the contrast ratio due to the double LCD layers. We will see. Even the prototype they showed off a while back people said they still saw blooming and image was bad off angle. With 100 zones, that would be less than 1,000,000:1 contrast so again, do not take these things at face value.

Definitely wait for reviews and do not buy into hype yet. Looking forward to finding out more.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Will be interesting to see what the reviewers say about this years lineup as it looks promising. Hopefully the issues that plagued the H9G that people complained about is resolved. Definitely on my radar though. I have been so close to pulling the trigger on a q80t for my bedroom but the stutter/judder issue has made me hesitant.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Not really 2 million zones. Even their own website says its just over 100 zones: Dual-cell ULED 4K TV U9DG - Hisense Global

What they are trying to claim with the 2 million number is more the contrast ratio due to the double LCD layers. We will see. Even the prototype they showed off a while back people said they still saw blooming and image was bad off angle. With 100 zones, that would be less than 1,000,000:1 contrast so again, do not take these things at face value.

Definitely wait for reviews and do not buy into hype yet. Looking forward to finding out more.
They're claiming 2,000,000 zones based on the 1080p monochrome LCD that is moderating the coarse FALD backlight.

Reviews of previous units have been good. PQ obviously suffers off-angle due to the nature of the panel, but black levels are near-OLED, brightness is considerably higher than OLED, and there are no burn-in concerns. On the other hand, it's power hungry.

As far as LCD tech goes, it's pretty darn cool. Panasonic's professional-only version actually uses two 4k panels rather than a 1080p panel and a 4k panel, looks even better.

·
Registered
386 Posts
They're claiming 2,000,000 zones based on the 1080p monochrome LCD that is moderating the coarse FALD backlight.

Reviews of previous units have been good. PQ obviously suffers off-angle due to the nature of the panel, but black levels are near-OLED, brightness is considerably higher than OLED, and there are no burn-in concerns. On the other hand, it's power hungry.

As far as LCD tech goes, it's pretty darn cool. Panasonic's professional-only version actually uses two 4k panels rather than a 1080p panel and a 4k panel, looks even better.
I worry that the off angle viewing will be worse with this tech and I also worry about actual picture sharpness. Black levels aren't everything you know and QN90A is near OLED too. I'm definitely down for something that is better than OLED, but not if it presents other issues than other QLEDs don't have.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I worry that the off angle viewing will be worse with this tech and I also worry about actual picture sharpness. Black levels aren't everything you know. I'm definitely down for something that is better than OLED, but not if it presents other issues than other QLEDs don't have.
There are more than a few write-ups of last year's 65" Dual Cell TV (65SX) you can look up - complaints largely center around occasionally glitchy video processing, which I assume will have been worked out for a US release. Picture quality received outstanding reviews.

·
Super Moderator
18,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The wording at the outset was "32 to 85 inches" though I'd think most of the line wouldn't fall into the smaller category.

·
Registered
42 Posts
CNET is only showing 55"-75" sizes: link to CNET article

Although I just realized it says lineup highlights, so there are likely other sizes to be available. I'd be surprised if they don't come out with at least one 85" model in one of the models, but there don't appear to be any official sources indicating so just yet.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Me thinks that I am going to have to buy a Hisense TV just because of the product launch hosted by Joel McHale which was HILARIOUS !

At some points I was in tears watching his deadpan performance; Also, "I pity that fool" and yet courageous Hisense executive for appearing alongside McHale, although he did a pretty good job as well with that face of his showing constant shock from hearing McHale's comments.
I could not turn it off or stop watching it as I knew that McHale had a lot more coming throughout, and boy, does he deliver it !

Overall, certainly the funniest thing I have ever seen on TV related to a piece of electronic equipment.

·
Super Moderator
18,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd be surprised if they don't come out with at least one 85" model in one of the models, but there don't appear to be any official sources indicating so just yet.
The video presentation I quoted IS the official source and they said 34-85 inches. You'll see an 85-inch model.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
The video presentation I quoted IS the official source and they said 34-85 inches. You'll see an 85-inch model.
The video presentation also said the dual cell would be 65" (21min mark) rather than 75", it seems like Hisense really needs some copy editors in addition to joke writers for these presentations.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Anybody knows the difference between the U7G/Pro and U8G, all I see is that the U7G has 75'' version
Only two notable differences between the U7G and U8G is that the latter just has more local dimming zones and can get even brighter. Otherwise one can't go wrong with either one, if one doesn't need the extra brightness and dimming zones and just overall wanna save a few bucks, the U7G could be a great more affordable U8G alternative.

Reactions: Movie78

·
Registered
42 Posts
I see now you mentioned that in a comment later. Hadn't seen your answer when I replied to the other person, just the original post. Good to know they'll have a wide variety of options to choose from.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts