AVS Forum banner

4121 - 4140 of 5199 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
@CTM Audi he didn't specify whether it was LG or a Sony. I assumed it was an LG for obvious reasons. However peak luminance should be left off for sdr...this has been known since this feature became available on the C9 which I also owned.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,122 ·
@CTM Audi he didn't specify whether it was LG or a Sony. I assumed it was an LG for obvious reasons. However peak luminance should be left off for sdr...this has been known since this feature became available on the C9 which I also owned.
I wasn't quite sure which one he was talking about either so I was just clarifying the names for each.
For dark viewing it should be off on both in SDR. But in bright viewing if you need more brightness you don't have much choice.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I wasn't quite sure which one he was talking about either so I was just clarifying the names for each.
For dark viewing it should be off on both in SDR. But in bright viewing if you need more brightness you don't have much choice.
Gotcha!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
So I just got the 77 C1 WBE/MMG/GZ and I want to know is it a proven FACT that the C1 to G1 hack actually work?
Yes. But you can easily try it yourself and if you don't like it you can change it back.

There's been videos made about it FOMO, the OP of this thread, and others. Maybe read the thread?

·
Registered
239 Posts
So I just got the 77 C1 WBE/MMG/GZ and I want to know is it a proven FACT that the C1 to G1 hack actually work?
Congrats and welcome!! I didn't see any difference to the naked eye but I'm sure if you put a meter to it the numbers may go up.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,128 ·
@CTM Audi Do you think you might be able to set up a direct comparison (video) of the Sony vs the LG in the coming week? That would be awesome!
I'll be able to put the camera in the same spot on the same settings to record both individually and then just trying to figure out how to put the clips together in the same video with DaVinci resolve.

·
Registered
14,820 Posts
What do you mean by ‘actually work’?

It’s been proven to increase output levels but if you mean ‘get G1-level output from a C1’ I don’t believe anyone has done a comprehensive comparison.

It would be great to see Vincent Toh do one of his famous HDTVTEST videos with 65G1 vs. 65C1 vs. 65C1-in-G-mode, but I’m fairly certain that’s not going to happen (Vincent is warning C1 owners against using G-mode on LGE’s advice).

But I think you’re asking the wrong question. The correct question is not whether G-mode has been proven to actually work but rather whether trying out G-mode has been proven to be safe?

If you know it’s safe to try out G-mode then you can give it a try on your 77C1 and decide whether you see enough of a difference to justify using G-mode all the time.

If the result of that ‘trial run’ is NO, you can safely fall back to C-mode knowing you’re not missing much.

And if the answer is YES, then that brings up another important question which is ‘does continued use of G-mode result in damage to the WOLED TV?’ (to which you’ll never get a negative response from LG or any other authoritative source so, assuming continued lack of any C1 owners reporting negative consequences from using G-more, you’ll need to draw your own conclusion and decide whether the benefits justify the risks you determine…).

·
Registered
239 Posts
It works. Jury is still out on whether its worth the risk, or what the risks even are (besides potentially voiding your warranty)
I wish I could see any significant difference but at least on my end I dont.

Reactions: Gillietalls

·
Registered
239 Posts
There probably are some differences, but not much that I noticed when I was originally messing with it.
Yeah I was driving my ole lady crazy switching back and forth and she couldn't see anything. I will acknowledge that she isn't a great reliable source though🤣

Reactions: Gillietalls

·
Registered
14,820 Posts
Yeah I was driving my ole lady crazy switching back and forth and she couldn't see anything. I will acknowledge that she isn't a great reliable source though🤣
Without doing a side-by-side comparison, it’s going to be almost impossible to pick out a 10% or even 20% difference in peak luminance…

Honestly, the only way you might be able to tell is to pick out specific HDR scenes such as those used by Vincent Toh to show where tone mapping translates to some loss of near-white detail.

·
Registered
239 Posts
@fafrd I acknowledge that, however if there was a perceptible difference I would have noticed. I personally don't think its worth making that change

·
Registered
14,820 Posts
@fafrd I acknowledge that, however if there was a perceptible difference I would have noticed. I personally don't think its worth making that change
It’s tough, isn’t it? Because what you perceive is a combination of what the TV is capable of, the specific piece of HDR you are watching, and the tone-mapping that gets applied…

Next time you’re watching some over-1000-Nit-mastered content with bright highlights including fully-saturated highlights, that’s the content to try G-mode again.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Picking up the C1 soon, is there any way to tell if it's a WBE Panel by checking the box or TV itself without going into the service menu first?

4121 - 4140 of 5199 Posts