AVS Forum banner

441 - 460 of 584 Posts

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
that's not a fair comparison at all...those are 4 of the greatest QB's to have ever played...
That's not the point. The point is that pocket QBs are not considered that valuable now even though that style works pretty well. With respect to those 4, only Manning was considered a hot ticket out of the draft (maybe Rodgers too to some degree).

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
The point is that pocket QBs are not considered that valuable now even though that style works pretty well...
of course they are...in what alternate universe have they become not valuable?...they are the prototype...how many of the 32 teams have running QB's versus pure pocket passers?...and even the dual threat QB's like Russell Wilson are more content nowadays to use their arm versus feet

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
I am feeling somewhat better, so I think I can give some clear thoughts.

I love the first part of the trade with the 49ers. With that, the Dolphins would be set with two first round picks for two more years plus a third rounder next year. The future draft capital would give a lot of options in the future.

The second part of the deal I am at best neutral on. The Dolphins now give up one first rounder and switch picks in later rounds. I would feel better if they weren't locked into a player.

The whole trade came about because Miami has made it known that they are all in on Tua, so no interest in a QB. SF probably talked to NY and realized that they are in love with Wilson (or maybe Field or Seawall) and had no desire to trade. Miami being next brought the two together and now SF will grab Fields or Lance. I guess both need a year behind JG.

Most of that being known, my issue is the Eagles trade. The Dolphins had to feel that the Lions would take their guy. Since I don't think Cincy or ATL would take him, I have to believe that to be Devonta. That is why I am neutral on the trade. I like Devonta, but he better turn into a great receiver for what they gave up.

Since the top three are pretty much setish, the real questions start at four. You can usually count on Atl doing something dumb probably a receiver. Taylor recently said his OTs are set, so Cincy may go with Chase. Heck Seawall could still be available for the Dolphins, but I think they are going to pass.

I do wonder if Denver and Carolina got into the bidding. Now, I wonder if they will make a play for Darnold. Speaking of, how quickly an asset devalues? I doubt the Jets get a high second now that teams know they are taking a QB and their options are reduced.
i still think it could be Pitts or Chase

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
I don't think 4 straight QB's will be taken...ATL should go for TE Kyle Pitts or even the top receiver in Ja'Marr Chase...although if Justin Fields is there at #4 I might take a chance..
The new ATL GM (Fontenot, from the Saints) says he's going to take the best player available, but WR help is the last thing they need. I doubt they'd take a flier on Fields but who knows how they rate him vs. Jones or Lance.

·
Registered
28,060 Posts
Something tells me DeShaun Watson is going to be available soon, and at a rock-bottom price compared to just a couple of months ago when he was considered the top QB in the trade market.

·
Registered
7,205 Posts

So, when you ask why the 49ers and Shanahan would be interested in Jones, the answer should be readily apparent. He's a quick processor who is a great anticipatory thrower and shows excellent accuracy in the short and intermediate areas. He's a high football IQ passer who throws a good deep ball and has the pocket awareness and quick-twitch mobility to extend plays from inside the pocket.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Something tells me DeShaun Watson is going to be available soon, and at a rock-bottom price compared to just a couple of months ago when he was considered the top QB in the trade market.
im not certain he will even be "available" if you know what i mean

Reactions: Nayan

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
NFL owners approve 17-game season for 2021

NFL owners approved the expansion of the regular season to 17 games Tuesday, a long-expected decision that will generate additional revenue for the country's richest sports league...the preseason will be reduced from four games to three to maintain compliance with the collective bargaining agreement and there will remain one bye week per team...

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
Mac Jones had a terrible pro day...lots of overthrows...he didn't help his draft stock...Justin Fields, on the other hand lit up Ohio State’s pro day with an impressive number of deep throws...Fields also ran an unofficial 4.44 40-yard dash, which was faster than Cam Newton coming out of Auburn as the No.1 pick in the 2011 draft...

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Mac Jones had a terrible pro day...lots of overthrows...he didn't help his draft stock...Justin Fields, on the other hand lit up Ohio State’s pro day with an impressive number of deep throws...Fields also ran an unofficial 4.44 40-yard dash, which was faster than Cam Newton coming out of Auburn as the No.1 pick in the 2011 draft...

Jones only had two overthrows from the report I read, so I wouldn't consider that "lots." Fields is a hell of an athlete, that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts

So, when you ask why the 49ers and Shanahan would be interested in Jones, the answer should be readily apparent. He's a quick processor who is a great anticipatory thrower and shows excellent accuracy in the short and intermediate areas. He's a high football IQ passer who throws a good deep ball and has the pocket awareness and quick-twitch mobility to extend plays from inside the pocket.
I'd love to see Jones fall to the Patriots but it won't happen. That description sounds a lot like a former Pats QB.

·
Registered
7,205 Posts

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Jones only had two overthrows from the report I read, so I wouldn't consider that "lots." Fields is a hell of an athlete, that's for sure.
On GMFB, they didn't make any big deal out of Jones' overthrows. They said his showing on this second workout was better than his first.

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
Very good article. I hope New York passes on him :)
lol...not even the Jets can screw this up...my only concern is the fact that he didn't really play against a lot of elite competition...I have no idea if he's going to be a great NFL QB but I do like his potential...out of Wilson, Fields, Trey Lance and Mac Jones I'm guessing only 1 becomes a superstar- 2 at most

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
lol...not even the Jets can screw this up...my only concern is the fact that he didn't really play against a lot of elite competition...I have no idea if he's going to be a great NFL QB but I do like his potential...out of Wilson, Fields, Trey Lance and Mac Jones I'm guessing only 1 becomes a superstar- 2 at most
I agree...at least one of these will be a bust (and probably more than one).

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
I agree...at least one of these will be a bust (and probably more than one).
5 quarterbacks were selected in the first round of the 2018 draft-- Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen, and Lamar Jackson...Lamar and Josh Allen look like the best of that bunch...it's interesting that going into that draft most people thought Rosen was the most NFL ready and he's had the worst NFL career out of all of them

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
5 quarterbacks were selected in the first round of the 2018 draft-- Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen, and Lamar Jackson...Lamar and Josh Allen look like the best of that bunch...it's interesting that going into that draft most people thought Rosen was the most NFL ready and he's had the worst NFL career out of all of them
As much as I thought Rosen was an a-hole, he hasn't been in very good situations though his chance for hanging in there is getting worse and worse.

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
As much as I thought Rosen was an a-hole, he hasn't been in very good situations though his chance for hanging in there is getting worse and worse.
with the Cardinals Rosen basically had the same team that Kyler Murray had the following year yet Murray got them playing much better...when you're on your 3rd team in 3 years I think it's more then the team situation

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Crap. I'm going to backtrack on the Bengals' pick. I'm now thinking it should be Kyle Pitts. He's probably a once in a generational player and the best option.

441 - 460 of 584 Posts