AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 237 Posts

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
These TV's are now shipping. My QN85QN900A has shipped and I've been contacted by the shipping company for scheduled delivery on March 31st. It's time to get an owner's thread going. :)

About the QN900A 8K QLED

TV Sizes:
QN900A Neo QLED 8K Series comes in 65”, 75,” and 85” Sizes.​

QUANTUM MATRIX TECHNOLOGY WITH MINI LED:
A brilliantly intense picture powered by tiny hyper-focused light cells.​

SAMSUNG NEO QUANTUM PROCESSOR 8K:
Upgrade every picture to 8K with multi-layered neural networks.​

INFINITY SCREEN:
Immerse yourself in the stunning sharpness and depth of 8K on an expansive, nearly edge-to-edge screen.​

OBJECT TRACKING SOUND+:
Dynamic sound that tracks and follows on screen action.​

QUANTUM HDR 48X:
Witness extreme brilliance across the spectrum for lifelike colors. The range of Quantum HDR claims luminance based on internal testing standards and is subject to change according to viewing environment or specific conditions.​

REAL 8K RESOLUTION:​
See details within the details with incredible clarity.*​
(* Upscales to 8K Resolution. Resulting picture may vary based on source content.)​

ALEXA BUILT-IN:
Ask more from your TV. Just ask Alexa to open apps, change the channel, search for movies and shows, play music, control your smart home devices and more. To talk to Alexa, press and hold the mic button on your remote. If you have hands-free enabled just say, "Alexa" and ask a question.​

Attachments

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Reserved

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Looking forward to your thoughts @Jpjr I‘m hoping it’s better than the Q90A!!!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Sure thing. I'm going to unbox tonight and take some measurements, but may not be up and running before the weekend. I'm hanging the TV and not expecting smooth sailing ;)
I seen the video by whisper. It looks beautiful and the sound should be an upgrade.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

·
Registered
887 Posts
As a previous owner of the Q900TS 85” here are some things I’d be curious about for those that get it:

• How is screen uniformity and is there noticeable DSE?
  • How do you find the balance between blooming and aggressive dimming?
  • How is off angle viewing and how much does that impact bloom (up to what degree off-axis do you think you don’t see material blooming)?
  • Do you see any weird noise in the upscale / dimming? In earlier versions of the Q900TS sometimes I would find the set had problems handling blurred backgrounds or solid walls behind a person and it would either introduce fluctuations in brightness or some noise like things are moving around on the wall, it seemed reduced on further firmware updates?
  • Game mode? How is blooming? How is general contrast in dark scenes?
  • Build quality? Does the back plastic panel feel premium or cheap? Do you notice any noises as the TV is on like flexing of the plastic as it gets heated up (oddly an issue with mine as well as my Samsung ultra wide monitor)? Is there any light leakage when looking up close at the infinity bezel (ultimately why my set was returned to Samsung for a full credit)?
  • Any other comparisons to your current TV or other prior TV’s?
Although my Q900TS wasn’t perfect and I still preferred my Sony Z9D, there were many positive aspects of the Q900TS and I was generally happy with the purchase. As I have a full credit that can be used on another set, I’m very curious about this one vs. the A90J. Currently, I’m leaning towards the 83” A90J but I can be swayed back.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Unfortunately, I don’t think anything can be done about blooming with LCDs. It’s just inherent to the tech. Or maybe not until more zones are offered. Makes me wonder how does a Dolby Pulsar look. I wonder if it blooms as well. Would be nice if a shootout would use it as the reference display instead of the Sony BVM. I think the high-end LCDs should be shooting to be like the Pulsar more than anything else.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
If it test anywhere near the QN90A, it should be a winner. love the QN90A but really believe the sound upgrades alone are making this the coolest TV a of 2021.

85B1F81F-0A68-4CE1-8FC4-D8B045AF457D.jpeg

·
Registered
664 Posts
Sure thing. I'm going to unbox tonight and take some measurements, but may not be up and running before the weekend. I'm hanging the TV and not expecting smooth sailing ;)
What tv or past couple tv’s are you coming from? Looking forward to your impressions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
😂 I know right... I’m trying to see what this zone count looks like.
In the Q90A thread a new owner confirmed 1320 zones for the 85" so I think it will be the same number for the 900A. Now the thing I want to know is how different/brighter/better the 8K model is...

·
Registered
53 Posts
In the Q90A thread a new owner confirmed 1320 zones for the 85" so I think it will be the same number for the 900A. Now the thing I want to know is how different/brighter/better the 8K model is...
Based on information in the TCL ODZero thread and the reasonable speculation that the Samsung 8K Neo QLEDs use the same panels, I suspect the 900A will have over 2,000 dimming zones in the 85" model.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I know right... I’m trying to see what this zone count looks like.

In the Q90A thread a new owner confirmed 1320 zones for the (4K) 85" so I think it will be the same number for the (8K) 900A.

Now the thing I want to know is how different/brighter/better the 8K model is...
NO. The 8K 85" QN900A will have 2016 zones.

Just like the 8K 85" CSOT (TCL) OD ZERO. In the U.S. will come in Q3 as the TCL 2021 8-Series. In Europe will be TCL "X925 PRO"

Edit to include more information:

Since the 85" QN900A and TCL 85" OD Zero are using the same panel (much like Sony and Vizio use LG OLED panels), the Samsung 85" QN900A should have these specs.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
NO. The 8K 85" QN900A will have 2016 zones.

Just like the 8K 85" CSOT (TCL) OD ZERO. In the U.S. will come in Q3 as the TCL 2021 8-Series. In Europe will be TCL "X925 PRO".
Well hopefully that brings a higher contrast ratio than the Q90A. Per rtings.com it's CR is not even as high as the TCL 8 Series.

1 - 20 of 237 Posts