AVS Forum banner

141 - 160 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Can any of the owners of this TV chime in about its 12-bit-ness? I'm genuinely curious if it makes any difference whatsoever in watching real world content. Did you notice that color gradients are smoother? Or is it all just marketing?
Thanks

·
Registered
Sony x950h ,lg c9,900f, JS 8500, panasonic ub820,ps5
21 Posts
Can any of the owners of this TV chime in about its 12-bit-ness? I'm genuinely curious if it makes any difference whatsoever in watching real world content. Did you notice that color gradients are smoother? Or is it all just marketing?
Thanks
Is it really 12bit? I heard it actually wasn't.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I get really tired of all these nobodies on Youtube who are just hobbyists like you and I, acting like their opinion on TV's is more valuable than anyone else's. I think when I retire I'm just gonna buy every major manufacturers flagship every year and dole out advice like I'm Vincent Teoh. Just because you install TV's for a living, or have a few shiny meters doesn't make you a professional. In fact, they don't seem to have even as much technical knowledge as a lot us here. As far as I'm concerned, Fomo is just Quantum without the foul mouth and personality.

Sorry, rant over.
They're no different than quantum. They thrive on feeding ppl bs misinformation and pander to trolls and fanboys who lurk in their comment sections. The more we speak up and call out their lies, the more ppl will realize what a fraud they are.

Reactions: HeisenbergABQ

·
Registered
226 Posts
anyone know the gaming input lag numbers [email protected] with and without VRR on? wondering how this set compare to the 900T in that regard. thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 · (Edited)
Strongly considering the 85" QN900A over the 83" A90J. Hoping that the eARC from the One Connect box can pass Atmos back to my Denon 4700H. Will more than likely have PS5, Xbox Series X, and PC (need to upgrade from the 2080ti to get 2.1 features) connected to the One Connect box utilizing all 2.1 ports.
I get Atmos back to my Onkyo TX-RZ920. Although I still get DD+ on most of the movies flagged as Atmos, but not all.

4/12/21 Edit: I discovered that the reason I wasn't getting DD+ instead of Dolby Atmos on some of those movies was because of my AVR. If the AVR isn't powered up after the TV I won't get Dolby Atmos.

Reactions: grif82

·
Registered
120 Posts
12bit backlight? what the...
It is 12 bit effect because miniled dimming and I don't think there is another way to do that anyways in LCD. Base panel works with limited gradiation performance anyways. Backlight control is needed to make that visible difference between 10 bit and 12 signal. That is how I understand it.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Backlight control is needed to make that visible difference between 10 bit and 12 signal.
this has nothing to do with "backlight control". the technique you're looking for is called Frame Rate Control (FRC) and it's been around for a awhile.

·
Registered
120 Posts
this has nothing to do with "backlight control". the technique you're looking for is called Frame Rate Control (FRC) and it's been around for a awhile.
So Samsung just lied then. FRC seems to be PWM style control crystals to have more steps of color saturation. But LCD response is quite low. I imagine higher frequency control in backlight instead might limit possible flicker from FRC.

·
Vendor
29,880 Posts
Strongly considering the 85" QN900A over the 83" A90J. Hoping that the eARC from the One Connect box can pass Atmos back to my Denon 4700H. Will more than likely have PS5, Xbox Series X, and PC (need to upgrade from the 2080ti to get 2.1 features) connected to the One Connect box utilizing all 2.1 ports.
Samsung seems to make a better gaming TV over the Sony, makes sense to go this route.

·
Registered
509 Posts
That's why I was asking for owner's impression, only they can tell us if the panels offer a true benefit in color gradations or not.

·
Registered
108 Posts
With a 12 bits 4096 steps in luminance over a 10 bits 1094 steps backlight, a 12 bits steps in theory would produce better contrast because in theory it can produce much lower luminance if there exist a linear relationship, or a close one. Assuming the LCD panel has a roughly 2000 native CR, the resultant CR is roughly in the order of 4000x2000= 8Million to 1. A 1096 step panel will be in the order of 1000x2000= 2Million to 1. Even with the factors that may erode the end result, like a wide angle filter, it will be a big number to erode on.

·
Registered
10,651 Posts
He made a living off of bashing the q90r the entire year that year and accumulated plenty of clicks and likes. After all was said and done, at the end of that year he finally admitted it was a great tv even though he had ripped it to shreds when it helped pad his youtube stats. The q900ts cost him alot of views and clicks because it's just not popular enough so he's back on the 4k flagship which he will rip apart all year as well.
He cant make much money because he must be living in someone's basement or in a crappy apartment. I laugh when I can hear the neighbors yelling in the background in some of the videos.

·
Registered
619 Posts
He cant make much money because he must be living in someone's basement or in a crappy apartment. I laugh when I can hear the neighbors yelling in the background in some of the videos.
I live in a “nice building” in NYC and I can still hear people yelling on the street and horns honking. It’s just a reality of living in the city unless you’re in one of those uber-lux 80th floor mega-million apartments.

141 - 160 of 237 Posts