AVS Forum banner

161 - 180 of 227 Posts

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #161 (Edited)
Anyone else having problems with their TV automatically switching sound output from Receiver (HDMI) to TV Speaker? It seems to be getting worse for me. I can set it back to Receiver and it will revert to TV Speaker in 20 or 30 seconds.

I turned off HDMI-eARC Mode in the Sound Menu as a workaround this for now.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Anyone else having problems with their TV automatically switching sound output from Receiver (HDMI) to TV Speaker? It seems to be getting worse for me. I can set it back to Receiver and it will revert to TV Speaker in 20 or 30 seconds.

I turned off HDMI-eARC Mode in the Sound Menu to get around this for now.
That is interesting to hear. I had this issue with the Q900TS when either turning on the TV or switching inputs. Would drive me absolutely batty and there was no permanent way to just keep sound to external speaker. I could never perfect it but if using a universal remote like a harmony remote, I’ve heard doing things like adding a delay in timing from when the harmony spoke to the tv or receiver could help a bit (I can’t remember which one goes first and for how long).

·
Registered
886 Posts
Question for owners. Is your TV making any creaking noises or plastic snapping noises like the plastic is contracting/expanding when cooling down/heating up? I had this issue with my Q900TS last year and even my Samsung 49” monitor. At first I was bugging out that my TV stand was cracking under the weight of the TV but realized it has to deal with the plastics used (not sure if at the bezel or on the back) as both samsung devices did this. Again, I could just have been unlucky which is why I’m trying to understand if this is an issue with the new ones.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
That is interesting to hear. I had this issue with the Q900TS when either turning on the TV or switching inputs. Would drive me absolutely batty and there was no permanent way to just keep sound to external speaker. I could never perfect it but if using a universal remote like a harmony remote, I’ve heard doing things like adding a delay in timing from when the harmony spoke to the tv or receiver could help a bit (I can’t remember which one goes first and for how long).
Thanks. Programming my remote won't work in this case. The problem is that no matter how many times I change it back to receiver, it will switch back to TV Speaker on its own in under a minute. I'm thinking that Samsung's HDMI-eARC Mode is buggy.

·
Registered
56 Posts

I turned off HDMI-eARC Mode in the Sound Menu as a workaround this for now.
I had a similar issue today, but it wasn't playing any home theater audio no matter what setting i picked. When I restarted my sorround processor everything worked fine, so not sure what was the culprit.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
One more pic, that demonstrates how well this tv handles blacks, and especially how well it handles the black bars in movies. This scene right is from the beginning of the Matrix, and it is notoriously difficult for all led TVs to not exhibit light bleed into the bars. Considering how close that lamp on the right corner is to the black bars, and how dark the sorrounding area is yet there is no blooming. This is oled like rendition here, seriously impressed with how this tv renders dark scenes.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
663 Posts
Felix, what is it that still keeps Sony motion ahead? Like what is it that this tv is not doing as well? Again, I have a Z9D and before getting it, I tried a Samsung JS9500, LG B6, E6 and even a Vizio P Series. I like to use a little motion smoothing and the only company that seems to implement it well is Sony. The Samsung’s always seem to stutter on most sources when you have any sort of smoothing on. Are you using any smoothing and do you see any stuttering or weird artifacts anywhere?

Other than that, I have always liked Samsung but this has been a dealbreaker for me for years with them and I fear the same thing will happen this year as well. Thanks for all the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Question for owners. Is your TV making any creaking noises or plastic snapping noises like the plastic is contracting/expanding when cooling down/heating up? I had this issue with my Q900TS last year and even my Samsung 49” monitor. At first I was bugging out that my TV stand was cracking under the weight of the TV but realized it has to deal with the plastics used (not sure if at the bezel or on the back) as both samsung devices did this. Again, I could just have been unlucky which is why I’m trying to understand if this is an issue with the new ones.
I haven't noticed any odd noises coming from the TV or the plastics.

·
Registered
55 Posts
No Dolby atmos,dts or 7.1 uncompressed pass through on qn900a only Dolby 5.1. This tv has 4 x hdmi 2.1 48 gbps ports there should be no problem with Atmos, dts or 7.1 losseless.The most expensive Samsung flagship 8k with no atmos dts license lol.

·
Vendor
29,862 Posts
Here are some pics of godzilla king of the monsters scenes in a dark room environment. The bars are inky and there is almost no blooming in the black bars. The tv is in filmmaker mode, and looks absolutely stunning.
She looks real good :) No blooming at all except for my trees over here:)

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
No Dolby atmos,dts or 7.1 uncompressed pass through on qn900a only Dolby 5.1. This tv has 4 x hdmi 2.1 48 gbps ports there should be no problem with Atmos, dts or 7.1 losseless.The most expensive Samsung flagship 8k with no atmos dts license lol.
What are you talking about? QN900A may not pass-through DTS, but the rest of your rant is wrong. Sorry to disappoint you.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
One more pic, that demonstrates how well this tv handles blacks, and especially how well it handles the black bars in movies. This scene right is from the beginning of the Matrix, and it is notoriously difficult for all led TVs to not exhibit light bleed into the bars. Considering how close that lamp on the right corner is to the black bars, and how dark the sorrounding area is yet there is no blooming. This is oled like rendition here, seriously impressed with how this tv renders dark scenes.Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
This is indeed impressive. I think I'm sold. I want to see the 83" A90J but this is going to be tough to beat. Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Felix, what is it that still keeps Sony motion ahead? Like what is it that this tv is not doing as well? Again, I have a Z9D and before getting it, I tried a Samsung JS9500, LG B6, E6 and even a Vizio P Series. I like to use a little motion smoothing and the only company that seems to implement it well is Sony. The Samsung’s always seem to stutter on most sources when you have any sort of smoothing on. Are you using any smoothing and do you see any stuttering or weird artifacts anywhere?

Other than that, I have always liked Samsung but this has been a dealbreaker for me for years with them and I fear the same thing will happen this year as well. Thanks for all the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't use any motion smoothing whatsoever. I'm using Filmmaker mode which turns off all smoothing by default i believe. I have seen no artifacting at all, and the only issue with the motion that i noticed was extremely slight. I noticed it in the movie Pacific Rim, and i noticed what seemed like judder in one specific scene in the beginning of the movie. Only noticed it once though. That being said it is good to note that the z9D is in my living room and the distance from the tv is somewhere from 15-20 feet, as where in my room I'm about 8.5-9 feet from the screen. One area where the qn900a is absolutely better than my Sony ZH8 specifically is upscaling, i always felt that the 8k upscaling on the Z8H was doing more damage then good, and it never seemed as sharp, as my z9D. That is absolutely not the case with the qn900a. I'll try and test out the motion smoothing tonight for you and I'll get back soon.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #176

·
Registered
55 Posts
So what if the TV doesn't play those formats natively? It passes them through to the AVR. That's all that matters.

What TV does support full Dolby Atmos, DTS or 7.1 uncompressed through its on-board speakers?
I am not talking about on board speakers.
Like I said this tv does not have atmos full support. Scroll to List: TVs with Atmos & eARC
List with all 2020/2021 tvs
Samsung has no full Dolby atmos support like Sony and lg.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
Like I said this tv does not have atmos full support. Scroll to List: TVs with Atmos & eARC
I read nothing in that link that says the QN900A will not pass through uncompressed Atmos to the AVR. Do you know the difference between ARC and eARC?

·
Registered
618 Posts
The TV doesn't have the ability to decode Atmos, but I'm guessing (I don't own the TV) it has the ability to pass the compressed Atmos bitstream on via eARC so that your AVR can decode it. This is probably the desired implementation anyway.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #180

161 - 180 of 227 Posts