AVS Forum banner

1981 - 2000 of 2594 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
ARC/eARC is definitely broken on this TV. This was one of the first issues I noticed with the QN90A. I get handshake dropouts and gotten the weird noise once, but the latter was only after the latest update.
FWIW, it's not just this TV. Samsung seemingly can't figure out ARC to save its life. ARC is straight garbage on both the 2019 Frame I have and the Q90T I had before returning it. Both were going into different Samsung soundbars and I never have/had a stable connection for either - constant dropouts, increases to volume on the screen not actually being reflected in the volume level, etc. I've given up now and just always connect to the soundbar through WiFi.

·
Vendor
29,880 Posts
ARC/eARC is definitely broken on this TV. This was one of the first issues I noticed with the QN90A. I get handshake dropouts and gotten the weird noise once, but the latter was only after the latest update. With eARC, I only get PCM, but the channels seem correct. With ARC, the channels aren't playing correctly. I've also noticed issues after having eARC on and switching from HDMI to live TV or apps. What's weird is that if I go into settings and Digital Audio Output setting in eARC, it shows DD+ for a second. I'm also noticing video drop-outs are back for me after the latest update. This seems symptomatic of software issues.

Since I couldn't get my PC audio working right (and pass-through sounds poorer than a direct connection to me), I've had to bypass ARC/eARC and run my receiver as a second monitor at the cost of processing power to extend my displays. This mean I need to disable HDMI-CEC completely and lose the ability to output audio from apps, unless I want to constantly spend my life with this TV in the settings menu. Very frustrating.

After the latest update, I've had my remote fall asleep and re-pairing wouldn't fix the problem. The power button was the only responsive button. If I unplugged the TV and re-plugged it back in, the remote would work again. Motion settings also look 'off' for me on SD content. Any panning results in judder even with all Picture Clarity Setting maxed out. I'm also getting the settings getting lost issue. This last update has been terrible.

I'm struggling with the same choice of whether to give the TV another chance. I'm on return #2 (for the dust issue and a dead pixel) and trying to decide if it's worth tolerating these issues for the price when there are so many great competitors being released this year.
You can have those issues with any TV made, you are just having some bad luck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So....eARC is a HUGE requirement for me. Maybe it is best I wait to see how these issues play out.
My install is next week and I run ARC I have my cable box, Blu-ray, and Roku connected at this time through my Denon 5.1. I will keep you posted. I do not at this time plan on using the apps on the TV itself.

·
Registered
170 Posts
So....eARC is a HUGE requirement for me. Maybe it is best I wait to see how these issues play out.
I think it depends on your setup. I have a Denon 3500 and ARC works fine. But I'm trying to figure out eARC and why it doesn't play nice. Might be my cable or the fact that I don't have an Atmos setup (only 5.1), but when I enable eARC, the signal to the Denon get wonked. Again, ARC works fine with not a single handshake issue yet, but I'm still trying to figure out the eARC.

Yesterday I tried an NVIDIA Shield Pro and it took a bit to figure out how to enable an Atmos signal. I had to make sure that I chose a 7.1 speaker configuration on my Denon. Once I did that (even though I don't have those speakers actually set up), then the Shield Pro would pass an Atmos signal and the Denon AVR would see it. If I had only a 5.1 speaker configuration, it would not give me Atmos as an option. Only Dolby Digital Plus.

I don't know if this is why the Samsung TV isn't playing nice on eARC. I'm going to try and select a 7.1 config and see if Atmos is received correctly.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just received my QN90A 85" from amazon and got excited to report results, but alas I unpacked it and... something tells me I may not have won the panel lottery this time. 😭😭😭
View attachment 3115776
I finally received the replacement for my defective-on-arrival QN90A 85" from two weeks ago. :) But of course now I am suspicious — even though I'm reading a lot in this forum about DSE and the panel lottery, I'm ultimately not very calibrated in what is a good and a bad panel. There are two things that I noticed in this replaced model...

The first is that there is a horizontal band through the center of the screen when playing the YouTube DSE test (picture taken with cellphone HDR postprocessing disabled, so hopefully truthful):

The second one is that the front of the panel seems to be pretty curvy/wobbly (picture taken again without HDR, and with shades up to show the shape of the reflection), and I'm not sure whether it is due to a manufacturing issue, or due to my wall-mounting (perhaps unintentionally applying too much tension to the VESA screws), or if this is working as intended:

I know the general recommendation around here is "don't go search for issues if you are not bothered by them", and if these two things are indeed to be expected I'm happy to live with them. I just want to make sure I'm not going to regret not sending it back as long as I have the original packaging, if either of these above effects are really uncommon and diminish the value of the TV right away. Would love to hear what some of the pros around here think!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think it depends on your setup. I have a Denon 3500 and ARC works fine. But I'm trying to figure out eARC and why it doesn't play nice. Might be my cable or the fact that I don't have an Atmos setup (only 5.1), but when I enable eARC, the signal to the Denon get wonked. Again, ARC works fine with not a single handshake issue yet, but I'm still trying to figure out the eARC.

Yesterday I tried an NVIDIA Shield Pro and it took a bit to figure out how to enable an Atmos signal. I had to make sure that I chose a 7.1 speaker configuration on my Denon. Once I did that (even though I don't have those speakers actually set up), then the Shield Pro would pass an Atmos signal and the Denon AVR would see it. If I had only a 5.1 speaker configuration, it would not give me Atmos as an option. Only Dolby Digital Plus.

I don't know if this is why the Samsung TV isn't playing nice on eARC. I'm going to try and select a 7.1 config and see if Atmos is received correctly.
So this was my issue. Sure enough, when I switched my reciever to a 7.1 setup and enabled eARC it passed just fine from the native apps. Now I might just send back the Nvidia shield. As much as I like the snappier interface, faster playing, etc, I don't think the picture is as good as the native apps. At least not passing it through the Denon AVR.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I finally received the replacement for my defective-on-arrival QN90A 85" from two weeks ago. :) But of course now I am suspicious — even though I'm reading a lot in this forum about DSE and the panel lottery, I'm ultimately not very calibrated in what is a good and a bad panel. There are two things that I noticed in this replaced model...

The first is that there is a horizontal band through the center of the screen when playing the YouTube DSE test (picture taken with cellphone HDR postprocessing disabled, so hopefully truthful):
View attachment 3120396

The second one is that the front of the panel seems to be pretty curvy/wobbly (picture taken again without HDR, and with shades up to show the shape of the reflection), and I'm not sure whether it is due to a manufacturing issue, or due to my wall-mounting (perhaps unintentionally applying too much tension to the VESA screws), or if this is working as intended:

View attachment 3120397

I know the general recommendation around here is "don't go search for issues if you are not bothered by them", and if these two things are indeed to be expected I'm happy to live with them. I just want to make sure I'm not going to regret not sending it back as long as I have the original packaging, if either of these above effects are really uncommon and diminish the value of the TV right away. Would love to hear what some of the pros around here think!
The waviness in the screen is normal, especially for it's size. The DSE, however, is definitely all chance/lucky of the draw. My first panel had the same horizontal line as you have there. My replacement panel does not. I am assuming it's partly a size issue and that's why there is a horizontal line. I had never seen a horizontal line before, but there is the possibility of receiving one that doesn't have it (or maybe I have it but it's not as pronounced, not sure.. I don't see it though). I have an 85" as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So this was my issue. Sure enough, when I switched my reciever to a 7.1 setup and enabled eARC it passed just fine from the native apps. Now I might just send back the Nvidia shield. As much as I like the snappier interface, faster playing, etc, I don't think the picture is as good as the native apps. At least not passing it through the Denon AVR.
My Denon does not have eARC so will I have to set it up some special way if I'm just using Arc? I will not be using the native apps but I will be using my Roku Ultimate which of course is plugged in to the back of the Denon. I hope I'm explaining this correctly

·
Premium Member
299 Posts

View attachment 3120396

View attachment 3120397

I could live with that panel. Does it look ok when viewing regular material from your closest seating position?

·
Registered
99 Posts
My Denon does not have eARC so will I have to set it up some special way if I'm just using Arc? I will not be using the native apps but I will be using my Roku Ultimate which of course is plugged in to the back of the Denon. I hope I'm explaining this correctly
If the Roku is plugged directly to the Denon, you wont need ARC or EARC. That return channel is only needed for the tv native apps or devices plugged directly into the Samsung

·
Registered
120 Posts
You can have those issues with any TV made, you are just having some bad luck.
With 2 different TVs though? Those aren't good odds. The early adopter firmware issues are usual for Samsung across all of their product lines, but something to keep in mind is that a lot of times Samsung never solves some of those early problems and it's always a gamble. I've experienced that with many Samsung products personally, but I still regard Samsung as having great products.

Also, Samsung no longer makes their own panels. According to my Option code (L), my panels were made by AU Optronics, which is a Chinese company. China doesn't exactly have the reputation of making the most reliable and best engineered products.

What's really disappointing is that Samsung charging a premium for this, essentially, Chinese product. This is making me lean towards just getting a LG G1 (with panel produced in Paju South Korea...not China) for TV #3 and just risking burn-in. I had zero problems with LG aside from burn-in...

I'm using plain old ARC here and it works great with this TV.
Have you done a channel test? I thought mine was working ok through ARC until I started testing. I had just loaded Far Cry 4 on PC, which has issues with high bit rates so that's what set off my testing. I noticed when I did a channel test, none of my channels were playing properly in ARC even though in-game it sounded ok.

·
Registered
170 Posts
What model denon are you using? Do you have a 7 channel speaker config or larger?

CZW is correct in that if you are just running the Roku directly into the Denon, then eARC is not needed. The only reason why you would want eARC over standard ARC is passing lossless audio or Dolby Atmos from a native app on the TV or from a device plugged in directly to the TV. Both eARC and ARC will pass an audio signal back to the Denon AVR....it's just that eARC can send a bigger bandwidth signal.

Unless you have a speaker configuration that can actually use Atmos (again at least 7 channels) then it's all irrelevant because you won't be able to tell a difference between Dolby Digital Plus and Atmos IMHO. And in that case ARC is just fine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If the Roku is plugged directly to the Denon, you wont need ARC or EARC. That return channel is only needed for the tv native apps or devices plugged directly into the Samsung
The Roku is plugged into Arc as is my Blu-ray and cable box that passes all of my sound to my 5.1.

·
Registered
46 Posts
What model denon are you using? Do you have a 7 channel speaker config or larger?

CZW is correct in that if you are just running the Roku directly into the Denon, then eARC is not needed. The only reason why you would want eARC over standard ARC is passing lossless audio or Dolby Atmos from a native app on the TV or from a device plugged in directly to the TV. Both eARC and ARC will pass an audio signal back to the Denon AVR....it's just that eARC can send a bigger bandwidth signal.

Unless you have a speaker configuration that can actually use Atmos (again at least 7 channels) then it's all irrelevant because you won't be able to tell a difference between Dolby Digital Plus and Atmos IMHO. And in that case ARC is just fine.
Thanks for your input I have the Denon AVR-S740H I understand that my unit does not support eARC but 4K is available on the unit. So when I install my TV all I will have to do is pull the HDMI from my old TV into the Samsung and I should be good to go...!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for your input I have the Denon AVR-S740H I understand that my unit does not support eARC but 4K is available on the unit. So when I install my TV all I will have to do is pull the HDMI from my old TV into the Samsung and I should be good to go...!
The port marked ARC on your Denon receiver is most likely also the hdmi out to the tv. If all of your devices are connected to the receivers hdmi inputs, all you will need to do is plug the hdmi out to hdmi 3 of the tv. All of your audio will be read from the Denons inputs and then picture sent to the tv. Only thing you would need to setup ARC for is any devices plugged directly into the new tv.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The port marked ARC on your Denon receiver is most likely also the hdmi out to the tv. If all of your devices are connected to the receivers hdmi inputs, all you will need to do is plug the hdmi out to hdmi 3 of the tv. All of your audio will be read from the Denons inputs and then picture sent to the tv. Only thing you would need to setup ARC for is any devices plugged directly into the new tv.
Thanks Much for your input!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yep. That's it.

You may want to try the native apps on the TV though and see if you like the picture better. For me at least, there is a subtle difference between a streaming device run through an AVR and the native apps on this TV with the TV apps being a touch better picture.

1981 - 2000 of 2594 Posts