AVS Forum banner
3501 - 3520 of 8278 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
According to Samsung support, the smaller version of the QN94A is identical other than being 500 nits brighter so i didn't bother spending the extra £100. Hopefully i haven't made the wrong choice if it turns out that the 94a is superior elsewhere and some part of me does regret not going for the OLED.

Please tell me if i reading in the wrong place but the panel information next to option in the service menu reads 50D1AU9TA. Does this mean it's made by au optronics? I thought InnoLux made the panels for this size? I'm pretty sure it's a VA due to the colour shift off angles.
Usually you can take that kind of info from support with a grain of salt. The TVs are identical other than a different stand/color. Other variants in different regions such as 93A/92A/91A are all rated as Quantum HDR 1500 in 50 inch. Only the QN94A (UK) isn't which most likely is a copy-paste mistake (wouldn't be their first). The larger QN94A is actually different to the (EU) QN90A, but in your case there is no (hardware) difference. As mentioned above 'D' indicates Innolux. They use 50 inch AUO panels in the Q80A and Frame but those are only 60Hz and without mini-LEDs. The QN90A will be the best you can get LCD wise in 50 inch. If you favor no blooming you should go for OLED, but you will lose exceptional brightness.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did you do the usual tap test / gently squeeze ur fingers on the screen ...how did you find the contrast/ black level in general n lastly would you be keeping the set...
I did. There’s no flash. Another thing to mention is the viewing angle is too good to be VA without the ultra viewing angle coating.
The contrast level looks good to my eyes. There’s some blooming but I’m ok with it. I have never had any plan to return it. I’m pretty happy with the picture quality.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Qn95a owners should be aware tv doesn't handle reflection as well as older samsung tvs. Here's an example I took of the way light is shown across screen.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I did. There’s no flash. Another thing to mention is the viewing angle is too good to be VA without the ultra viewing angle coating.
The contrast level looks good to my eyes. There’s some blooming but I’m ok with it. I have never had any plan to return it. I’m pretty happy with the picture quality.
Samsung will always find a way to downgrade their tvs... Now I think all the 55" tvs in Asia, Middle East and North Africa are ADS...

·
Registered
6 Posts
50"D"1AU9TA, D is Innolux panel. AUO has L, CSOT has S, and BOE has B. Please also use the photo for the service menu. :D As far as I know, the dimming zone for a 50" set is 32x14=448.
[/QUOTE

Okay thanks, glad it's VA then. I thought that the AU part may indicate it's from AUO. Yep it does appear to be 448 dimming zones.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Usually you can take that kind of info from support with a grain of salt. The TVs are identical other than a different stand/color. Other variants in different regions such as 93A/92A/91A are all rated as Quantum HDR 1500 in 50 inch. Only the QN94A (UK) isn't which most likely is a copy-paste mistake (wouldn't be their first). The larger QN94A is actually different to the (EU) QN90A, but in your case there is no (hardware) difference. As mentioned above 'D' indicates Innolux. They use 50 inch AUO panels in the Q80A and Frame but those are only 60Hz and without mini-LEDs. The QN90A will be the best you can get LCD wise in 50 inch. If you favor no blooming you should go for OLED, but you will lose exceptional brightness.
Interesting, so in that case why does a 50" variant of the QN91-94A even exist when you can just grab the regular 90A? Samsung's line up this year within the EU is baffling. In relation to this tv over the oled, the anti reflective coating also played a big role for me as i know OLEDs are meant to be pretty reflective/mirror like in comparison.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Very coool! Neo QLED(QN90A, QN85A)'s dimming zone is the same regardless of region. So this photo is also helpful for other regional sets. :LOL:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Well I will send a pic with the TV on to prove that anti reflection coating isn't as good. Even in light screens you can see the reflection in the TV screen.
I had a 2018 Q7FN in exactly the same place and it's definitely worse on QN95A. Another big difference is on native contrast. I used to watch tv with LD low on Q7FN and the picture quality is much worse on QN95A with LD on low. but this was expected since the Q7FN is edgelit and QN95A uses FALD. Anyway, the black levels are incredible though😁

·
Registered
146 Posts
Samsung will always find a way to downgrade their tvs... Now I think all the 55" tvs in Asia, Middle East and North Africa are ADS...
Finger test isn't as accurate as there are different revisions of IPS and VA which may behave differently. The QN90A is proof of this. As I have said multiple times before most QN90A - 55, 65, 75 - models without Ultra Viewing Angle will ship with an ADS panel because of availability. In some regions some batches may be VA, but the bulk will be ADS. If you want you can play the panel lottery game but there is a very small chance you might end up with a VA panel in some regions that is.

Interesting, so in that case why does a 50" variant of the QN91-94A even exist when you can just grab the regular 90A? Samsung's line up this year within the EU is baffling. In relation to this tv over the oled, the anti reflective coating also played a big role for me as i know OLEDs are meant to be pretty reflective/mirror like in comparison.
Pretty common practice. Sometimes they are just exclusives for certain retailers. They simply sell the same TV for more money. Sony sells the X90J in a dozen variants with different stands and remotes. Confusion marketing.

I've updated my panel chart to its final revision. It turned out to pretty accurate (so far). 85 inch models all have AUO panels. My guess is QN700A will have the same amount of dimming zones as the other 8Ks but I can't confirm yet so I didn't include it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am disappointed to read that it failed the tap test n looks like an ADS panel, I can only hope n wish that we in India have better luck🤞

When you say you are still happy with the PQ i.e contrast , little blooming could you let us know what was the last TV you were using before this so we can have a better perspective...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Seems like it, just a shame that the panels are not the same across different regions XD
I know how different the 2019 Q80R is by region. :rolleyes:
My Q87R (a variant of the Q80R, emart(like Walmart)'s exclusive set) has 10x10=100 dimming zones and even has an OCB with HDMI 2.1(24Gbps) port.
Natural landscape Font Terrestrial plant Electric blue Screenshot

A NA Q80R has 8x12=96 dimming zones and no OCB, so [email protected] input is only available in 4:2:0 8-bit.

A EU Q80R only has a 5x10=50 dimming zone and no OCB. :cry:
Organism Font Electric blue Sky Circle

Fair enough only in 2021, However, the QLED sets were downgraded again. :(

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I had to return my qn95a due to sound drop outs. Even using normal TV the sound was dropping out. Such a shame that one connect box seems to be the issue. I'm getting a refund and waiting for the future to see if its ever fixed. One of the reasons I brought it was for earc and that doesn't even work properly
Other brands like Sony also have problems with eArc and audio drop outs. LG is the best I've seen in this area as far as 4K/120hz capable HDMI 2.1 tvs go. No eArc issues at all on my C1.

These tvs are nice so hopefully Samsung gets it straightened out, but after living with a tv that never had audio drop outs and eArc fixed (Sony 900h)...I know the pain.

Best thing to do is return it while you can and not hope for the best, leaving you in a lurch with no recourse later on.

Maybe tv manufacturers will eventually get the hint and not ship unfinished products.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
524 Posts
For information, QN95A in game mode without CE starts clipping whites around 2600 - 2800 nits (you even barely see 3000 nits) : (it's better IRL, my S8 camera had a hard time)
View attachment 3134443

In games HDR nits configuration, when you have one with nits numbers (like AC Valhalla), I advise to put around 2600 or 2800 (as a comparison for my Q9FN it's around 1700).
Also with CE on it will clip way before, but that's what CE does, no surprise here.

And here is the same test outside of game mode (standard mode) : WTF ??
View attachment 3134444

Edit : I checked in AC Valhalla and at 2800 nits you have absolutely no white clipping, it starts after (my room isn't dark IRL) :
View attachment 3134454

Very impressive compared to my Q9FN (1700 nits).
Because this TV tone maps, and it cannot be disabled, there is no way to know from your method how bright the TV can get. The only way to measure this is using a colorimeter, not a visual test pattern. That's why the XBox and PS5 HDR calibration tools are generally not useful for Samsung TVs--you instead have to look up the number of clicks that will match the peak brightness of your TV and set it that way.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Qn95a owners should be aware tv doesn't handle reflection as well as older samsung tvs. Here's an example I took of the way light is shown across screen. View attachment 3134583
Yes, I had to shut down a light spot (in my movie hue scene) I never saw on my Q9FN, but which was clearly visible on QN95A. That's actually the only step down I found.

I already wrote a lot about my QN95A impression, but here is the last one I found : since years I watch my 1080p movies and series on PC with madVR doing 4K upscaling, with a very high demanding configuration (NGU AA very high etc), only working on high end graphic cards. The result was way better than any upscaling you could get on other PC setup or with TV upscaling. But as I heard about this QN95A AI upscaling, I updated my madVR settings to output 1080p and let the TV do the job, and the result is just as good as madVR 😲, or even better if noise reduction is on : that's very impressive and I'm glad I can let my graphic card do minimal work right now !

·
Registered
100 Posts
From whatever little info I could gleam from the internet BOE has been working on making there own Mini LED panels since last couple of years claiming higher brightness, color and better contrast/blacks without compromising on the wider viewing angle. Now there is no way of knowing for sure whether they are using some sort of variant of a VA panel or a different / improved version of ADS.

Unless someone could actually measure the contrast ratio on these BOE QN90A sets one would have to rely mainly on the subjective assessment provided by the BOE QN90A users.

3501 - 3520 of 8278 Posts