AVS Forum banner

1941 - 1960 of 2594 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Here is another weird one that I encountered last night:

I turned on the MLB app on the Xbox Series X to watch the Giants/Padres game. It hadn't started yet, so I just got a "Game will begin shortly" screen and left it there waiting for the game to start. When it did, it opened with a view of the field from the outfield stands. The screen brightness was flickering in and out, so much so that I initially thought it was a time lapse of the day with the clouds going in and out. Then, it cut to a dugout scene and I could see it was still doing it. After about 10 seconds of me thinking "well this is going to be unwatchable", the whole thing suddenly resolved itself and looked fantastic for the rest of the game. Not a single hiccup after that.

It was like it had to switch a mode for it to work and took some time recognizing and getting there. There are some definite software growing pains going on right now.
Interesting. So you are using the XBOX internal app and passing that signal to the TV. Was the flickering similar to what I posted on that YouTube video? If so, that would suggest it's more than just a problem with using only the internal apps and a backlight or dimming zone algorithm problem.

·
Registered
10,651 Posts
I have the 75 inch QN90A and I am still having issues with Local dimming setting with SDR content. When I turn the tv on each day, or a few hours later, when set to high or standard, flipping between low, standard or high all look the same. The image is dim as if LD is stuck in low position. The only way I can fix it is to turn tv off, and then depress and hold power button on tv until the NEO QLED logo appears and the tv starts up. The Local dimming works correctly, with standard making the image brighter than low and high brighter than standard. This is getting really annoying. I have done a full factory reset and the issue still persists until I start the tv up depressing the power button on the tv, instead of the remote. This tv may be going back. I don't know if it's a 75 inch problem.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have the 75 inch QN90A and I am still having issues with Local dimming setting with SDR content. When I turn the tv on each day, or a few hours later, when set to high or standard, flipping between low, standard or high all look the same. The image is dim as if LD is stuck in low position. The only way I can fix it is to turn tv off, and then depress and hold power button on tv until the NEO QLED logo appears and the tv starts up. The Local dimming works correctly, with standard making the image brighter than low and high brighter than standard. This is getting really annoying. I have done a full factory reset and the issue still persists until I start the tv up depressing the power button on the tv, instead of the remote. This tv may be going back. I don't know if it's a 75 inch problem.
You need to report this on Samsung support page now. Sooner better as they still are interested on how TV performs as all reviews are not out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Interesting. So you are using the XBOX internal app and passing that signal to the TV. Was the flickering similar to what I posted on that YouTube video? If so, that would suggest it's more than just a problem with using only the internal apps and a backlight or dimming zone algorithm problem.
Correct. Direct HDMI signal from the Xbox to the TV in the gaming port using the HDMI cable that came with the Xbox. Very similar to your example, but perhaps even more pronounced. I definitely think it has something to do with the backlight/dimming zone software still having some kinks in it. All of my flickering issues have been with the Xbox so far. Feel free to pass along to your contact who is working the problem, if you think it would help!

(I actually haven't been able to get the internal apps to work yet due to an audio problem, but I am still troubleshooting that one to make sure its not my issue with a bad setup with my receiver. That's an issue for another day!)

·
Vendor
29,880 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I received my TV yesterday and.....First off I didn’t know what DSE, banding, black crush, white wash...etc were until I stumbled upon this thread. Last TV I purchased was in 2012 during the edge lit LED days🙄. Man those TV’s were terrible. I went through 5-6 different sets and all had major flashlighting, clouding and uniformity issues. Im an OCD pessimist so when I read about these issues I became concerned. After fiddling around with the settings I began to look at some material. I do not currently have much of any 4K content or new gen console so my experiences thus far are on SDR content mostly upscaled 1080p. Right away this TV is friggen bright and dynamic, awesome! Though sadly the first thing I did was put in Far Cry 5 and stared at the skybox panning left, right, up, down, and I have pretty bad DSE...I think.🤷🏻‍♂️ I have a couple very faint horizontal bands, but mostly the “blotchy” DSE when panning. I would never had done this if I hadn’t read about it on here, sometimes ignorance is bliss. Surprisingly I appear to have a “clean” panel besides the panning DSE. I can’t see any other uniformity issues or major banding, or vignetting from what I observed. I only ran a couple of gray screen tests. Now I’m no videophile by any means, so take my opinions with a grain. I ran the DSE hockey test and had to stop it cause it was freaking me out, lol. I did observe some pretty bad DSE. I decided to run the same test on my 9 year old LED backlit Sammy and it was HORRID! The messed up thing about that is I never noticed any of that **** over the course of almost a decade. Now I’m in a pickle cause once you see something it’s hard to unsee. I am aware all VA lcd panels will have some issues, so I don’t want to end up returning it and getting a worse one. I already returned a CX because of the typical OLED complaints, and I don’t want this to turn into the fiasco I had in 2012. The tv is fantastic besides the DSE. Build date: Feb. ‘21, 75” panel CA01.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I received my TV yesterday and.....First off I didn’t know what DSE, banding, black crush, white wash...etc were until I stumbled upon this thread. Last TV I purchased was in 2012 during the edge lit LED days🙄. Man those TV’s were terrible. I went through 5-6 different sets and all had major flashlighting, clouding and uniformity issues. Im an OCD pessimist so when I read about these issues I became concerned. After fiddling around with the settings I began to look at some material. I do not currently have much of any 4K content or new gen console so my experiences thus far are on SDR content mostly upscaled 1080p. Right away this TV is friggen bright and dynamic, awesome! Set up movie mode for shows and movies and game mode for the Xbox one S. Though sadly the first thing I did was put in Far Cry 5 and stared at the skybox panning left, right, up, down, and I have pretty bad DSE...I think.🤷🏻‍♂️ I have a couple very faint horizontal bands, but mostly the “blotchy” DSE when panning. I would never had done this if I hadn’t read about it on here, sometimes ignorance is bliss. Surprisingly I appear to have a “clean” panel besides the panning DSE. I can’t see any other uniformity issues or major banding, or vignetting from what I observed. I only ran a couple of gray screen tests. Now I’m no videophile by any means, so take my opinions with a grain. I ran the DSE hockey test and had to stop it cause it was freaking me out, lol. I did observe some pretty bad DSE. I decided to run the same test on my 9 year old LED backlit Sammy and it was HORRID! The messed up thing about that is I never noticed any of that **** over the course of almost a decade. Now I’m in a pickle cause once you see something it’s hard to unsee. I am aware all VA lcd panels will have some issues, so I don’t want to end up returning it and getting a worse one. I already returned a CX because of the typical OLED complaints, and I don’t want this to turn into the fiasco I had in 2012. Build date: Feb. ‘21, 75” panel CA01.
If it was me I apologize. The issue for me is that I am a gamer and unless you can block it out it will annoy you and once out of the return period if you notice it then you will regret it.
I don’t run all those tests but I do multiple real world tests ( driving games are equally as bad when you turn if you see it you can’t unsee it) Ignorance is bliss...

FYI I have last years Q90t and may update with this set soon on one of my other TVs. My set has minimal DSE and after viewing every type of content I kept it almost a year now and am very satisfied; ultimately it’s if you can live with it without regrets!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Speaking of DSE, I'm pretty happy with how clean my QN90A is, except for one bright band. But, it only shows up if I turn down the brightness. If I leave the brightness at 45-50, then I can't see it at all for HDR content (unless I'm really looking for it). For non-HDR content I see a bit of it panning in a really bright scene here and there but not enough to be distracting to me. If I turn the brightness down to 30 and play Breath of the Wild, the band shows all over when panning- in the sky and in the grass, and it's super distracting.

If I plan to pretty much just use the TV at higher brightness anyway, is this a good enough result to keep it instead of trying to exchange for another panel? I'm worried that exchanging will just end up with the same result, or maybe a flaw somewhere else instead. I had the QN85A shortly before returning for the QN90A and the 85a had the same bright band in the same place, but I can't remember if it went away at full brightness.

·
Registered
10,651 Posts
After having issues with LD not working properly, now the tv is randomly turning off. Sometime it will stay on for 3 or 4 hours, sometimes it will turn off after 45 minutes. It's getting worse with each passing day. It's being returned.

·
Registered
32 Posts
After having issues with LD not working properly, now the tv is randomly turning off. Sometime it will stay on for 3 or 4 hours, sometimes it will turn off after 45 minutes. It's getting worse with each passing day. It's being returned.
That sucks man. Are you getting a new one, or exploring options? I’m having issues with the LD too I believe. Certain text on the screen(Xbox dashboard) is brighter than some in random places, it’s odd. Noticed this in game too. During pause screens where the picture is darker the text is dimmer where as its bright the text is more vibrant.

Edit: mine just did the reverse LD phenomenon like yours does where low acts like high and vice versa. Held down the power button as you stated, it then reverted back to normal.

·
Registered
10,651 Posts
That sucks man. Are you getting a new one, or exploring options? I’m having issues with the LD too I believe. Certain text on the screen(Xbox dashboard) is brighter than some in random places, it’s odd. Noticed this in game too. During pause screens where the picture is darker the text is dimmer where as its bright the text is more vibrant.

Edit: mine just did the reverse LD phenomenon like yours does where low acts like high and vice versa. Held down the power button as you stated, it then reverted back to normal.
The tv is too buggy. Going with something else.

·
Registered
10,651 Posts
FWIW, I am now in communication with a Samsung engineer about my issues. I will try and keep you up to date with his response. This is a good tv, and I want to help as much as I can. It's going to be a few weeks before I get a different tv, and if I can help them figure this out, I will. I will bet it's related to FW 1066.2.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm also having issues with the tv lowering brightness and changing settings on its own. Holding power temporarily fixed it, but then just entering the settings menu reverted it back, even without changing anything.

So many issues with this tv and It's barely been a week.
This better get fixed fast.

·
Registered
147 Posts
WTF?
Now it's just reverting back to a dim picture no matter what I do.

-EDIT-
Power and energy savings turned themselves on by itself. This tv is possessed by a ghost! 🤣
I had all of those off before. I think the update turned power savings back on. No more auto update. I'll do it manually from now on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm also having issues with the tv lowering brightness and changing settings on its own. Holding power temporarily fixed it, but then just entering the settings menu reverted it back, even without changing anything.

So many issues with this tv and It's barely been a week.
This better get fixed fast.
New tech, new problems. Hopefully they can sort out these glitches in FW, I want to keep this tv it looks so good.

·
Registered
10,651 Posts
WTF?
Now it's just reverting back to a dim picture no matter what I do.

-EDIT-
Power and energy savings turned themselves on by itself. This tv is possessed by a ghost! 🤣
I had all of those off before. I think the update turned power savings back on. No more auto update. I'll do it manually from now on.
It may start randomly turning off. That is what mine has progressed to. Last night while watching a baseball game, it turned off twice. I tried turning it on with the remote and nothing. I had to turn it on using button on tv and then had to re-pair the remote to the tv. Needless to say, the Mrs is not to happy with my purchase. 😄

·
Registered
147 Posts
It may start randomly turning off. That is what mine has progressed to. Last night while watching a baseball game, it turned off twice. I tried turning it on with the remote and nothing. I had to turn it on using button on tv and then had to re-pair the remote to the tv. Needless to say, the Mrs is not to happy with my purchase. 😄
These tv's have Gremlins in them.
You would think with as bright as this set can get, Gremlins wouldn't be an issue.

If you haven't already, check and see if any of the auto off settings got turned on by itself. Might not be that, but the update definitely altered settings on my set without my consent. I feel so violated. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
10,651 Posts
These tv's have Gremlins in them.
You would think with as bright as this set can get, Gremlins wouldn't be an issue.

If you haven't already, check and see if any of the auto off settings got turned on by itself. Might not be that, but the update definitely altered settings on my set without my consent. I feel so violated. :ROFLMAO:
Yep, I checked every setting. They were still off. It’s possessed!! lol

1941 - 1960 of 2594 Posts