AVS Forum banner

1961 - 1980 of 2594 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Finding a soundbar or something for testing is a good idea. If only to help correctly lay blame on the amp or the TV. I don't think it's cables. I bought two new 2.1 cables for this and they both do it. Also, it happens every time I switch apps, which seems like more of a software thing. I'm only using regular ARC.

Pulling my amp remote out and switching away and back to the main input jars the system enough that they handshake and I get audio. I have to jiggle handles again, if I do anything to stop that audio.

I'm beginning to wonder if the crazy crack/shock sound is actually a bad buffer being fed to the audio hardware. Now that I can fix the audio myself without killing the power, I haven't been shutting it off with a bad audio channel state and I haven't been hearing the sound.

Hopefully I don't have to deal with this nonsense much longer. As soon as a new AppleTV drops I can avoid all these built in apps and go back to a nice easy setup.
ARC/eARC is definitely broken on this TV. This was one of the first issues I noticed with the QN90A. I get handshake dropouts and gotten the weird noise once, but the latter was only after the latest update. With eARC, I only get PCM, but the channels seem correct. With ARC, the channels aren't playing correctly. I've also noticed issues after having eARC on and switching from HDMI to live TV or apps. What's weird is that if I go into settings and Digital Audio Output setting in eARC, it shows DD+ for a second. I'm also noticing video drop-outs are back for me after the latest update. This seems symptomatic of software issues.

Since I couldn't get my PC audio working right (and pass-through sounds poorer than a direct connection to me), I've had to bypass ARC/eARC and run my receiver as a second monitor at the cost of processing power to extend my displays. This mean I need to disable HDMI-CEC completely and lose the ability to output audio from apps, unless I want to constantly spend my life with this TV in the settings menu. Very frustrating.

It may start randomly turning off. That is what mine has progressed to. Last night while watching a baseball game, it turned off twice. I tried turning it on with the remote and nothing. I had to turn it on using button on tv and then had to re-pair the remote to the tv. Needless to say, the Mrs is not to happy with my purchase. 😄
After the latest update, I've had my remote fall asleep and re-pairing wouldn't fix the problem. The power button was the only responsive button. If I unplugged the TV and re-plugged it back in, the remote would work again. Motion settings also look 'off' for me on SD content. Any panning results in judder even with all Picture Clarity Setting maxed out. I'm also getting the settings getting lost issue. This last update has been terrible.

I'm struggling with the same choice of whether to give the TV another chance. I'm on return #2 (for the dust issue and a dead pixel) and trying to decide if it's worth tolerating these issues for the price when there are so many great competitors being released this year.

·
Registered
10,651 Posts
ARC/eARC is definitely broken on this TV. This was one of the first issues I noticed with the QN90A. I get handshake dropouts and gotten the weird noise once, but the latter was only after the latest update. With eARC, I only get PCM, but the channels seem correct. With ARC, the channels aren't playing correctly. I've also noticed issues after having eARC on and switching from HDMI to live TV or apps. What's weird is that if I go into settings and Digital Audio Output setting in eARC, it shows DD+ for a second. I'm also noticing video drop-outs are back for me after the latest update. This seems symptomatic of software issues.

Since I couldn't get my PC audio working right (and pass-through sounds poorer than a direct connection to me), I've had to bypass ARC/eARC and run my receiver as a second monitor at the cost of processing power to extend my displays. This mean I need to disable HDMI-CEC completely and lose the ability to output audio from apps, unless I want to constantly spend my life with this TV in the settings menu. Very frustrating.

After the latest update, I've had my remote fall asleep and re-pairing wouldn't fix the problem. The power button was the only responsive button. If I unplugged the TV and re-plugged it back in, the remote would work again. Motion settings also look 'off' for me on SD content. Any panning results in judder even with all Picture Clarity Setting maxed out. I'm also getting the settings getting lost issue. This last update has been terrible.

I'm struggling with the same choice of whether to give the TV another chance. I'm on return #2 (for the dust issue and a dead pixel) and trying to decide if it's worth tolerating these issues for the price when there are so many great competitors being released this year.
Sometime I wonder if the rush to get tvs for the new year out first before other companies is a smart decision. Not as much QC'ing before they ship.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sometime I wonder if the rush to get tvs for the new year out first before other companies is a smart decision. Not as much QC'ing before they ship.
To be fair, the panel issues aren't directly Samsung's fault. I believe 2020 was the last year Samsung (and LG) produced a LCD panel, so that means a bulk of internals are outsourced (from China?) in the QN90A and just shipped to the final assembly plant. In our case, Mexico is just the final assembly point. Not surprising quality control suffered...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I’m noticing weird motion stutter/judder on SDR content as well. I thought it was app related but I’ve never experienced any issues with my previous set. Tried max motion settings as well as off. Oddly it doesn’t do it on all content. They have 13 days to correct all these issues or I may be forced to return it before my window closes. Come on Samsung this is your flagship!

·
Vendor
29,880 Posts
I think it is as much as it has always been. There has never been a perfect TV, do not think there ever will be. Even the pioneer Kuro had purple snakes,lol.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Im wondering how many of these new issues popping up are due to the new firmware that pushed out last week. I had a major red push after updating that i took care of in settings, but thats been the brunt of it so far

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
Made up my mind to get a QN90A to replace my LG 77" OLED.

The question now is either the 75" or 85"
I only sit 8ft back and the room isn't gigantic, but I also know the value of size and immersion having had a 133" setup years ago.

Is there any reason, based on last year impressions at least, the 85" would be worse at anything compared to the often reviewed 65/75 inch versions?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Man, I feel lucky that I havent been experiencing any of the problems that some of you guys have! My panel has some DSE and banding if I look for it on some grey screens, but I dont notice it all when watching real stuff.

That being said, the weirdest thing that has happened is that my PS5 turned on by itself twice when I was watching TV. Also game motion plus doesnt seem to be working on 30fps games.

This TV is a very noticeable improvement over my previous TV which was a Q80R.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Reactions: BuckeyeAmps

·
Registered
59 Posts
Made up my mind to get a QN90A to replace my LG 77" OLED.

The question now is either the 75" or 85"
I only sit 8ft back and the room isn't gigantic, but I also know the value of size and immersion having had a 133" setup years ago.

Is there any reason, based on last year impressions at least, the 85" would be worse at anything compared to the often reviewed 65/75 inch versions?
I sit 8.5' from my 85" set. It replaced a 75" Sony. Trust me, you want the 85".

·
Registered
446 Posts
I wasn't sure if I'd like it. Always thought it was kind of gimicky, but after having it and getting used to for the first 20 minutes. I really like it.
Not a gimmick at all. It's science. When you're watching brighter content in the dark (Which, for these types of displays, even SDR can be quite bright in the dark) your pupils are basically constantly pulsing open and closed as the content on screen goes from bright to dim. That does 2 things. 1) It increases eye strain, even if you don't feel a headache or anything; and 2) It makes your eyes hyper sensitive to blooming in darker scenes because your pupils are wide open and can see more. Introducing bias lighting evens out the overall lighting level in the room and gives your eyes something to fixate on. Pupils go to a much more stable state which makes blooming much less noticeable (since pupils are closed more) and it reduces eyestrain. Sorry for the long winded reply but so many people don't seem to understand what bias lighting really does and that watching these things in the pitch black really is NOT the way. People seem to think of it as a pure aesthetic choice rather than actually improving the viewing experience. Good to see another converted to team bias light lol!

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
I can second the above with Bias Lighting. I have used it for nearly 10 yrs. I ditched it when I got an OLED but have been missing it (even though the OLED's don't get nearly as bright, in a completely dark room there were still times I was like "OK, my eyes hurt a little" when a scene was dark for a while then bright all the sudden). I 100% plan on adding it back to my setup when I get the Sammy.

I think a lot of the "gimicky" talk more surrounds the early days of Bias Lighting (before LED back lights were so common/popular) where it had to be strictly D65 white light and the walls had to be neutral colors to keep the D65 color so it would bring out the correct calibrated colors of the content on screen. Not arguing against any of that....but now a days it is a lot easier to get good LED strips that are close to normal white (back then fluorescent was the choice and using a very warm light compared to close to D65 did look bad).

If you watch in pitch black, give it a try.

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
It is funny to look at the "evolution" of bias lighting. 10 years ago it was a great way to make mediocre plasma/most LED TV's appear to have better blacks (as AMDman said involving pupil dilation which in turn can make really dark gray appear more black when bright light is surrounding the TV)....now the opposite problem exists: blacks are nearly/all black while bright scenes have gotten very very bright, so instead of hiding bad black levels the lights help alleviate the issue of going from near black to very bright.

Sorry. Seeing the bias lighting pictures brought back memories. lol

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
WTF?
Now it's just reverting back to a dim picture no matter what I do.

-EDIT-
Power and energy savings turned themselves on by itself. This tv is possessed by a ghost! 🤣
I hadt all of those off before. I think the update turned power savings back on. No more auto update. I'll do it manually from now on.
I had this and accidentally happen on the Sony it kept resetting to retail which was dynamite mode. Does the Samsung have any auto setting it might go back to?
I think it is as much as it has always been. There has never been a perfect TV, do not think there ever will be. Even the pioneer Kuro had purple snakes,lol.
I had a Kuro with bad DSE

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hooked my directv box and Apple TV 4k cube directly into my q90a via hdmi 1 and 2, with earc from hdmi 3/earc to my Denon x1600h earc hdmi input/output.
Now I’m having lip sync issues I can’t seem to adjust away From Directv programming
Very annoying
A little help?

1961 - 1980 of 2594 Posts