AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 4171 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
just pulled the trigger on a 77 inch a80j. Expect to receive it by the end of the first week of May.

This thread is for owner's to share their experience, report issues, and help and share with other owners.

As the two HDMI 2.1 inputs with one required for eARC has been beaten to death on the a90j threads, please keep this thread clean. Also as owner's have already bought this set there is no need for non owners to weigh that they believe the Sony a90j or LG G1 is "better". We bought this set because we believed it was the best set for us.

I will create a Sony a80j anticipation thread which can be used to post comparison reviews and to discuss such topics as why you may believe it is better than the LG G1 or why we are buying this instead of the a90j for example.

Sony a80j anticipation thread :
(304) Sony a80j Anticipation Thead | AVS Forum

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reserved

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reserved

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reserved

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reserved

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reserved

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reserved

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I am coming from a 65 inch Sony a8g that replaced a LG B6. Prior to OLED, owned a Panasonic 65 inch GT50 which replaced a 60 inch Pio Elite KURO. Prior to that owned various DLPs, LCDs, etc.

I typically upgrade every 2 to 3 years if there is something to upgrade to ( the KURO lasted over a half a dozen years and would have likely lasted even longer had it not crapped out on me ).

Really looking forward to the additional 12 inches of diagonal real estate, slight increase in brightness and color volume, and improved black level detail via the new XR processing chip.

This should hold me over for a few years until 8K content becomes more prevalent and an 88 inch 8K OLED flagship streets for around $8K ;-)

Will start posting impressions on the 77 inch a80j as soon as I receive it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Really tempted to get on the phone and order one too but I am more comfortable buying it from down the street at the big blue and yellow toy store for this kind of purchase. That early May timeframe sounds really nice... Sitting with a 65" A90J right now but I think I want a slightly larger set.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Has anyone seen what the difference is between the 80J and 90J? I know the 90J is brighter(heatsink) and has better speakers. Is that it
The A90J comes with a better remote and can be used as a center channel. There are other little differences, like the stands. Until the A80J is available, we won't know exactly how performance compares. Meaning, I don't think we know exactly how much of the A90J's improvement over older models is attributed to the heatsink versus how much is attributed to elements like processing and panel that are shared with the A80J.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The A90J comes with a better remote and can be used as a center channel. There are other little differences, like the stands. Until the A80J is available, we won't know exactly how performance compares. Meaning, I don't think we know exactly how much of the A90J's improvement over older models is attributed to the heatsink versus how much is attributed to elements like processing and panel that are shared with the A80J.
I would never use a TV for the center channel no matter how good the sound is. It will NOT match the rest of the speaker system. Sounds like a great idea unless you care about the soundstage.

I already have the A9G remote which is basically the same as the a90j without back lighting.

Reactions: HeisenbergABQ

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I would never use a TV for the center channel no matter how good the sound is. It will NOT match the rest of the speaker system. Sounds like a great idea unless you care about the soundstage.
I can't see myself doing this either, even though I currently use a phantom center and will definitely not add a dedicated center. I find it a little intriguing, but I don't like the idea of having a mismatched center or downgrading my front stage. And honestly, I hate the thought of running Audyssey again and then deciding that I don't like the results. Even if I ended up with an A90J, I don't think that I would hassle with hooking it up to try it.

I use a Harmony Elite and don't have any use for stock remotes. Even the relatively inexpensive Harmony 665 is backlit and would be preferable to stock remotes, IMO. Presumably, someone could eventually even purchase the A90J's remote separately for use with the A80J, if they really wanted to.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I can't see myself doing this either, even though I currently use a phantom center and will definitely not add a dedicated center. I find it a little intriguing, but I don't like the idea of having a mismatched center or downgrading my front stage. And honestly, I hate the thought of running Audyssey again and then deciding that I don't like the results. Even if I ended up with an A90J, I don't think that I would hassle with hooking it up to try it.

I use a Harmony Elite and don't have any use for stock remotes. Even the relatively inexpensive Harmony 665 is backlit and would be preferable to stock remotes, IMO. Presumably, someone could eventually even purchase the A90J's remote separately for use with the A80J, if they really wanted to.
I would definitely go with a phantom center rather than using the TV audio as the center channel. Fortunately, the center I am using, a Paradigm Premier 600c is likely the best center I have ever had and blends seamlessly with Paradigm Premier 800f towers I have all the way around... I cannot even begin to locate sounds to specific speakers..

That is what I did shortly after purchasing the A8G, i.e. bought a A9G remote - the a90j remote is essentially the same with a backlight and a couple additional short cuts to streaming services ( which outside Bravia Core would likely use my Shield or Roku instead )..

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I've been refreshing the 77A80J page all day hoping for it to be updated with the price announcement or an option to pre-order. Did you reach out to them over phone and pre-order it that way. Are you able to share the price?
Yes. $4499 M.S.R.P. + they pay sales tax for CA + $600 for QC and calibration. Because CA sales tax is so high, more than half the cost of the QC and calibration is covered..

Note, I was informed that the anticipated listing of price on their website has been delayed about a week..

Also note that this is the first time I have ever paid full m.s.r.p. for a TV and the second highest I have ever paid period ( highest was a 60 inch Pio Elite Kuro that had a m.s.r.p. of $8000 that I was able to get through a dealer friend for $5600).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yes. $4499 M.S.R.P. + they pay sales tax for CA + $600 for QC and calibration. Because CA sales tax is so high, more than half the cost of the QC and calibration is covered..

Note, I was informed that the pricing listed on their website has been delayed about a week..

Also note that this is the first time I have ever paid full m.s.r.p. for a TV and the second highest I have ever paid period ( highest was a 60 inch Pio Elite Kuro that had a m.s.r.p. of $8000 that I was able to get through a dealer friend for $5600).
Bummer! On 3/15 they posted the 77"A80J for $3,999. Guess I should have ordered it then. I wonder why it increased.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not sure if I'm oblivious to something but why do they pay CA tax?
I assume as a promotion? They also pay for shipping....

Reactions: beyondm3
1 - 20 of 4171 Posts