AVS Forum banner

5261 - 5280 of 5982 Posts

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
QUESTION: for those that wall-mounted their A90J, does this seem to hamper the sound (particularly the bass) any? I mean, I assume that their bass effect was somewhat utilized by rear-mounted woofers, in addition to the front-firing “glass” front.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Did you notice it in real content first or did you run a test and then notice it?
I actually saw it on the Google TV home page it was a gray background for a movie that was being advertised so I then went to check slides and before I even got to the slides I saw it clearly.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Anyone else near that 100hr mark with same or better results? So far it's like 3/3 !
I haven't formally checked my hr mark but I should over 100 hrs and have no "new" issues, granted my uniformity is not perfect however I don't notice anything during content.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I can't afford the 83' A90J, they are more expensive in Europe. To get the CX would be due to 77' over 65' but if it's no better than my A8H why even do it. I'm also keen to get TVled Dovi, so that is another thing. I really have high hopes for the A90J but...
CX is quite close to a8h I happily picked the a8h in 65” size ... but 77” vs. 65” isn’t close methinks. Or do a 77” a80j when it comes out ... hard to beat immersion/larger size.
Re. 83” price, that’s why I said waiting a few years in my earlier post ... perhaps just waiting for price drops best for larger & better, is best?
Tough choices ... nice ones to have though!

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I could easily see the SDR advantage of the G1 over the CX in the Digital Trends video. We have see reviews about HDR in A90J being exceptional. But, I would sure like to see a comparison of A90J vs G1 in SDR where the “ISO” is set to the brighter TV. If the A90J operates like the G1 in SDR, then it’s easy to imagine it would school my A9G in SDR. I could definitely use more full field brightness.
The evo panel does make both the a90j and g1 roughly 20% brighter in full field which is important especially for sdr brightness. But when it comes to hdr, the g1 isn't much of an upgrade over the cx. The g1 gets a hair brigther in test 10% hdr window test patterns than the c9 which in real world hdr viewing is pretty much the same as the cx. What LG is doing is pumping the brightness to make the test patterns read higher but real world impact isn't much greater than what we had last year. The a90j takes it to another level in hdr because sony isn't concerned about test patterns. Overall hdr has more impact on the sony.

·
Registered
110 Posts
QUESTION: for those that wall-mounted their A90J, does this seem to hamper the sound (particularly the bass) any? I mean, I assume that their bass effect was somewhat utilized by rear-mounted woofers, in addition to the front-firing “glass” front.
Thanks.
I have only heard my TV wall mounted. It sounds excellent, I'm almost inclined to leave off the "for a TV" portion of that statement. In my opinion I don't think this would hamper the sound in any way. It could change the bass characteristics slightly due to the TV being mounted closer to the wall (also dependent on the mount) but I'd venture to guess the impact is negligible. As TVs normally have the option to set the sound for a Stand/Wall mount configuration, I'm sure this might be compensated for such scenarios.

·
Registered
148 Posts
As A80J/A90J is very tempting for me, I'm wondering how is the white subpixel overshoot on this set compared to Panasonic. I would be very glad if anyone could test this scene in a pitch black room for me:
Netflix - Night on Earth ep 1 - during coming out of black at around 2:40 mark you should see crawling brighter outline/band going from middle to up the screen. This is normal for OLEDs but I wonder how well it's masked on A90J. Do you see it very clearly? Panasonic uses heavy dithering to mask the overshoot but it doesn't work well for this scene.

Photo doesn't show it very well but it's hard to capture, hopefully you get the point:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Here we go again with the selective hearing. At the 5:10-5:20 mark he CLEARLY states there is not a huge brightness difference between the cx and g1 in both full screen and highlights in hdr. I apologize if this makes you angry towards me but I'm just stating reality.
He does state that, but in his other videos, he contradicts himself. When comparing to the A90J, he said sometimes the Sony looked brighter and sometimes the LG did, they went back and forth. We know the A90J is much brighter than the CX, so how is that possible? I can't imagine SDR is so much brighter on the G1(not just test patterns), but HDR is not brighter?? That's screwy and he has something messed up for HDR. I've seen so many reviews, where the person just didn't have the TV configured properly. I haven't seen the G1 and not many people have, so you can't come to any real conclusions from one review, that contradicts an earlier review. I'm sure the processing on the A90J will make HDR highlights a little better, but there is no way the G1 isn't brighter than the CX for HDR or LG has a major fail on their hands. If he compared the A90J to the CX and said that it wasn't much brighter in HDR, would you just accept that?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Lol 3 returned tvs in one store for uniformity issues? When most of these stores haven't even received them yet and the ones that did only received a small handful of them. Complete bs. Each store is lucky if they get one or two uniformity returns a year across all models since 99.99% of the general population doesn't notice any uniformity issues on any tv. Only we the nitpickers that subscribe to these forums notice these things. He just wants to test an lg or q800a now lol.
There are two 65" returns at my local Best Buy right now. I can't say if they were 'wife didn't approve of purchase' returns or QC issues, though.

Reactions: ray0414 and L0giX

·
Registered
41 Posts
Does this TV have such a wow effect and upgrade in PQ ppl will now consider keeping it for years or will 200 more nits next year make you change it again? I have the A8H and this on the way, but it seems it's close to burning ppl's eyes so does it have enough oompf to stop the upgrade train. Yes I know there are alot of factors but the step forward Sony has taken seems rather large and not something we might see for years.
Most HDR content is mastered at 1,000 nits, so your panel isn’t capable of reproducing the detail that the filmmakers intend you to see. Your TV has two options for the content it’s can’t reproduce: Hard clip (no detail) or apply a mapping to approximate what you were supposed to see.

These TVs do a great job, but the desire to hit the magic 1,000 nits isn’t because the image is too dim, it’s to actually see all of the details that exist in the material that we can’t currently see. For people mastering on reference panels, those 1,000 nit details aren’t burning anyone’s eye out.

Of course then there is the material mastered at 4,000 nits, which will be the next thing we lust after once we hit 1,000 nit, infinite contrast consumer displays...

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
He does state that, but in his other videos, he contradicts himself. When comparing to the A90J, he said sometimes the Sony looked brighter and sometimes the LG did. WE know the A90J is much brighter than the CX, so how is that possible? I can't imagine SDR is so much brighter on the G1, but HDR is the same?? That's screwy and he has something messed up for HDR. I've seen so many reviews, where the person just didn't have the TV configured properly.
It makes total sense actually because evo panel advantage over non evo panels are skewed heavier towards larger size windows resulting in less abl. Peak highlights get improved slightly but not by much.

·
Registered
19,345 Posts
Dayum. Seems every time I check in there’s another bad panel. Gives one pause. Whomever is in charge of QC at Lucky Goldstar needs to pee in a cup.

·
Registered
543 Posts
It makes total sense actually because evo panel advantage over non evo panels are skewed heavier towards larger size windows resulting in less abl. Peak highlights get improved slightly but not by much.
Where did you come up with that idea? There isn't any data backing that up, that's just your personal theory and the A90J uses that same panel, but with a heatsink. All I know is that head to head, that same guy said they are very close and one is brighter than the other on some things. He got a higher Nit reading for HDR on the G1 over the A90J, he also says in that review. I have no doubt that the A90J will have better highlights or look a little better, but I think it's pretty close. I don't think anyone can make a real judgement yet. Wait till the calibrators get their hands on them and we will find out the truth.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Hi owners. Anyone else using this tv as a PC monitor and experiencing audio and picture loss when on eARC using a nvidia gpu?

I've had to resort to using optical audio to avoid the problem.

Before you ask...
-Yes I've tried multiple different HDMI cables.
-yes, I've tried plugging the PC into the soundbar. It works but at reduced chroma of 8bit 4:2:2
-GPU is evga 3090.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Dang. From the pictures, that seems like something you would see easily in real content. And if so, that stinks on ice.
This has me worried about getting an 83 inch lugged home. Brought to basement. Potentially mounting the huge sucker and then after 80 hours (or right away) finding this garbage and having to do the reverse to lug that huge thing with 2 other people out of basement and out of house and all the way somehow back to store. Not like it fits in a car or even regular size truck either

5261 - 5280 of 5982 Posts