AVS Forum banner

5761 - 5780 of 6846 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
How is DSE / Banding on this set?

I'm coming from a Q90T which I love, except for its terrible DSE, went through multiple panels and they are all very bad when watching sports or playing bright games
Zero dse. But then again I never ever saw dse on any oled. Samsungs are plagued with Dse and if you're coming from one of those to any oled, you'll be really happy. The uniformity issues that effect oleds are not light grayscale uniformity issues but very dark gray/near black. You won't see it in sports but you will may see it in some very dark scenes. And how it will effect you mostly depends on your sensitivity to it. I personally am not effected by it unless it's a super bad panel, but my current a90j is solid.

If I’m using his night (custom pro 1) settings, I don’t notice it, but when using the brighter daytime (custom pro 2) settings, it’s pretty bad when watching Phillies and Flyers games. I have not noticed it in non-sports programming so far.
His night mode settings have a very low brightness level. Very odd cause even if it did have noticeable asbl, that wouldn't creep in when on a lower brightness and peak luminance setting.

Reactions: WOLVERNOLE

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Do you think it’s a bad panel?
Not sure if it's a panel issue or what it is but if it's ok dark room settings and it dims even further, something is definitely not right.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Your issue sounds like the same thing I had. Sadly I returned the set and settled on a LG CX. A nearly $3,000 set should not have this issue and it looks like a manufacturing defect. The CX is perfectly flat.

View attachment 3120042

View attachment 3120041
The CX has it too, every oled I have ever seen has this. All OLEDS and I believe even LEDs will look warped when off at an angle. It’s like saying I returned my tv because when I blink I cannot see the screen. It is 100% acceptable to return the display to save money. Just realize issues that are not there when watching the display are not issues.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED/comments/jgqxji

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Since numbers never lie is the buzz phrase nowadays, here is more concrete evidence from one of the most highly respected technical review sites and some preliminary numbers ahead of their full review. SDR measures 520 nits after calibration. Dnice measured sdr at 540. Both numbers are within margin of error. This is no fluff piece review site. Their credentials are impeccable.

"The first Sony BRAVIA XR OLED A90J on the Google TV market knocks you on your knees? Our impressions after watching a few movies - you will want more!"

"Maximum brightness after calibration SDR 520 cd / m 2 (full screen), HDR 790 cd / m 2 (scrap screen - L20)"

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi,
On my settings I only see Adv color temperature:Multi point (10). How do I get it to multi point 20?
Thanks
Here you are :

·
Registered
886 Posts
Hey Owners,
Anybody have the Matrix in 4K? I was curious if you see ABL kick in during the Morpheus explaining to Neo what the Matrix is (the battery scene) around the 40 minute market.. I’ve noticed on my CX its noticeable but somewhat subtle enough at the speed in which ABL transitions in that it doesn’t completely distract. But was curious how this plays out on the A90J and what to expect from a non-sports but real life scene where ABL kicks in on last year’s OLEDs. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Since numbers never lie is the buzz phrase nowadays, here is more concrete evidence from one of the most highly respected technical review sites and some preliminary numbers ahead of their full review. SDR measures 520 nits after calibration. Dnice measured sdr at 540. Both numbers are within margin of error. This is no fluff piece review site. Their credentials are impeccable.
Yes, I agree. They are doing really professional reviews and what is the most important, they are also using a lot of time to make all possible observations and measurements. Looking forward to hear their conclusions. Whatever the outcome is, I trust them.

·
Banned
17 Posts
just got my a90j.. its just another oled. oleds still suck for brightness and color. sad thst these oleds doesnt get bright. lg sony ect lied about a brighter tv. complete lie

·
Registered
49 Posts
One observation from the ongoing poll. At the moment 8 out of 10 panels are faulty. ( don't look only top row percentage, we have many faulty panels : 1*3 returns + 2*2 returns + 1 return = 8 returns )

by the way, Q released his A90J review.....

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
just got my a90j.. its just another oled. oleds still suck for brightness and color. sad thst these oleds doesnt get bright. lg sony ect lied about a brighter tv. complete lie
Cool story. Can't wait for more impressions. Post pics too pls ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
One observation from the ongoing poll. At the moment 8 out of 10 panels are faulty. ( don't look only top row percentage, we have many faulty panels : 1*3 returns + 2*2 returns + 1 return = 8 returns )
Wouldn't that be 8 out of 18 panels? Still not good...

5761 - 5780 of 6846 Posts