AVS Forum banner

5781 - 5800 of 6846 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
One observation from the ongoing poll. At the moment 8 out of 10 panels are faulty. ( don't look only top row percentage, we have many faulty panels : 1*3 returns + 2*2 returns + 1 return = 8 returns )

by the way, Q released his A90J review.....
No offense but you can’t make a judgement like that off a poll with so few votes. You need a much larger sample size. And when half the posts in the owner’s thread are trolls, I really can’t take any poll seriously.

And please stop referring to “Q” as if that person has any idea what he’s talking about.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
No offense but it’s kind of dumb to make a judgement like that off a poll with so few votes. You need a much larger sample size. And when half the posts in the owner’s thread are trolls, I really can’t take any poll seriously.

And please stop referring to “Q” as if that person has any idea what he’s talking about.
Not only do I not trust that the majority of votes are from actual owners, it also doesn't mean anything. There could be 700 owners who haven't voted nor care to. There could be guys that returned a perfectly fine panel because they don't know the screen is a speaker or don't know that every OLED has some vertical banding etc.

P.s. I voted that I returned 4 of them :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
Do you think it’s a bad panel?
You said the behavior happens when using a brighter picture mode. Everything you said tracks with it being ASBL. It was bothering Macmane as well when watching similar content. Unfortunately you can’t disable that with the Sony. An exchange will lead you right back to where you are at. You could exchange for an LG where you can actually turn that feature off in the service menu but then you lose out on what is presumably a slightly better picture quality with the Sony. Also worth noting that it’s a safety feature to protect against burn-in so disabling the feature on the LG set would be a “do at your own risk” type thing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After sticking to my 46" Sony lcd for more then 12 years i am waiting now for my orderd 55" a90j.
I will try the settings of D-Nice and hope for the best. And of course i will give a feedback.
So i would see myself as a dedicated novice.
And i am really thankful for the suggested settings, kowtow!
To test the pq i am not sure where to start or which test patterns regarding greyscales or grid samples on youtube i should use or trust.
It would be really helpful to have it summarized. Perhaps in a different thread (the mentioned thread with settings, tips etc.).
Many thanks!

·
Registered
510 Posts
After sticking to my 46" Sony lcd for more then 12 years i am waiting now for my orderd 55" a90j.
I will try the settings of D-Nice and hope for the best. And of course will give a feedback.
So i would see myself as a dedicated novice.
And i am really thankful for the suggested settings, kowtow!
To test the pq i am not sure where to start or which test patterns regarding greyscales or grid samples on youtube i should use or trust.
It would be really helpful to have it summarized. Perhaps in a different thread (the mentioned thread with settings, tips etc.).
Many thanks!
The YouTube video in Post #3 of the Uniformity thread is a good place to start. Post #1 then contains way more suggestions about different things to try.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
You said the behavior happens when using a brighter picture mode. Everything you said tracks with it being ASBL. It was bothering Macmane as well when watching similar content. Unfortunately you can’t disable that with the Sony. An exchange will lead you right back to where you are at. You could exchange for an LG where you can actually turn that feature off in the service menu but then you lose out on what is presumably a slightly better picture quality with the Sony. Also worth noting that it’s a safety feature to protect against burn-in so disabling the feature on the LG set would be a “do at your own risk” type thing.
Asbl hack on the lg works only on paused screens. Why would you want it to remain bright on paused screens, unless you are using it as a computer monitor or something of that nature? All oleds dim down very slightly. No excessive dimming on stuff like sports and I tested video games too and they were all fine. If it does it on occasion its most likely due to a software glitch and the chip thinks it's a static screen isntead of a regular one. His issue is more severe than that, since it even dims down with dnice's dark room settings which use a very low brightness level. No oled not even the most aggressive one will dim down further past such a low level of set brightness.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Asbl hack on the lg works only on paused screens. Why would you want it to remain bright on paused screens, unless you are using it as a computer monitor or something of that nature? All oleds dim down very slightly. No excessive dimming on stuff like sports and I tested video games too and they were all fine. If it does it on occasion its most likely due to a software glitch and the chip thinks it's a static screen isntead of a regular one. His issue is more severe than that, since it even dims down with dnice's dark room settings which use a very low brightness level. No oled not even the most aggressive one will dim down further past such a low level of set brightness.
I know you think you are smart but this is what he said.
If I’m using his night (custom pro 1) settings, I don’t notice it, but when using the brighter daytime (custom pro 2) settings, it’s pretty bad when watching Phillies and Flyers games. I have not noticed it in non-sports programming so far.
It happens when he uses daytime settings watching sports. It is clearly ASBL and it is a drawback in specific circumstances on this set.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I know you think you are smart but this is what he said.

It happens when he uses daytime settings watching sports. It is clearly ASBL and it is a drawback in specific circumstances on this set.
There is no asbl on this set. I'll make a video so you can eat crow. He has a bad set of bad settings period. My cx has more asbl than this one. In fact since it gets at least 25% brighter than a cx in sdr during sports, even if it had dimming it would still be brighter than a cx. I know you think you're in the smartest man in the room, but if you are then you wouldn't need to take my word for it. You would watch the VE livestream where dnice phones in and when asked if this tv has any sort of dimming during sports he said no it does not, only when there is a completely static screen or it's paused. But you probably did watch it but doesn't fit your narrative of spewing out disinformation based on the findings of someone without experience on these panels instead of experts.

Reactions: WOLVERNOLE

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Yes, I agree. They are doing really professional reviews and what is the most important, they also using a lot of time to make all possible observations and measurements. Looking forward to hear their conclusions. Whatever the outcome is, I trust them.
Then go get a 900 nit c8 used on craigslist and be happy. Ignorance is bliss.

·
Registered
282 Posts
If I’m using his night (custom pro 1) settings, I don’t notice it, but when using the brighter daytime (custom pro 2) settings, it’s pretty bad when watching Phillies and Flyers games. I have not noticed it in non-sports programming so far.
Ok. So it sounds like you have a way to debug this. Since it only happens with one setting, start with the good setting and start changing each setting to match the bad one until you see the problem show up in the good settings. That will tell you which setting is the source of the problem.

·
Registered
282 Posts
One observation from the ongoing poll. At the moment 8 out of 10 panels are faulty. ( don't look only top row percentage, we have many faulty panels : 1*3 returns + 2*2 returns + 1 return = 8 returns )
This should be obvious but there is a thing called response bias. Happy owners don’t go to forums and vote in polls the same rate as unhappy customers would. Not to mention non owners just making up votes. Basically the poll is going to be completely unreliable. No way to get useable data this way.

·
Registered
43 Posts
just got my a90j.. its just another oled. oleds still suck for brightness and color. sad thst these oleds doesnt get bright. lg sony ect lied about a brighter tv. complete lie
I’d seriously apply for a job at Sony I don’t think the factory could keep up with demand with you at the helm

·
Registered
483 Posts
65” purchased, eta 2 weeks. Just enough time for the buyers’ remorse to kick in.

Upgrading from a 6 year old 55” Samsung. Wondering if I’ll be just as happy with a 65” A8H? So cheap right now...

What would you do & why??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd get the A8H is a second, it's a beautiful set

·
Registered
483 Posts
His issue is more severe than that, since it even dims down with dnice's dark room settings which use a very low brightness level. No oled not even the most aggressive one will dim down further past such a low level of set brightness.
No, I think you misread my post or I didn’t write it clearly. I said that I notice the issue with D-Nice’s bright room settings, but I don’t notice it with his dark room settings. Also, in examining it further, I’ve noticed that when it dims, it dims down roughly to the same level of brightness that I find on both D-Nice’s dark room settings, and the out of the box regular “custom” settings. So this is probably why I don’t see it happening in those settings...it dims down to those levels and doesn’t “need” to when using those settings. Again, this occurs for baseball and hockey games (the only sports I’ve seen so far on the tv). I have not yet noticed it happening on regular programming. So, I’m guessing it activates in sporting events if the brightness goes beyond a certain point. If this is going to happen on all Sony panels, no sense in returning it, but it is frustrating.

5781 - 5800 of 6846 Posts