AVS Forum banner

11321 - 11340 of 12299 Posts

·
Registered
14,820 Posts
Just like my friend who bought an A1E a while back. His set had some pretty bad tinting and vertical banding that he and his family did not see or cared about. The problem was there but they were happy. And no, I did not point it out. Figured someone should be happy with their TV. :)
Yes, and families / ‘normal people’ like that are the vast, vast majority of the Advanced-TV-buying Public.

Imagine how much the disgruntlement / posting here on AVS would go down if the ‘rules’ were that before returning your new WOLED TV or posting uniformity pics on AVS, you had to invite your neighbors over, have them sit at normal viewing distance to watch the content of your choosing, and then answer the question:

‘do you see anything wrong with my new TV? Do you think I should exchange it?’

·
Registered
Sony 83A90J, 65A8G, 75X900F Panasonic UB820, Sony 800M2, JBL Bar 9.1
51 Posts
I connected Blu-Ray Player directly to TV and it now works properly. This sucks though, I have more than 4 HDMI devices to connect to TV. First HDMI port is for cable TV. Second is for Nintendo Switch. Third was supposed to be for both Apple TV and 4k Blu-Ray Player. Fourth HDMI port is for Playstation 5.

What do you recommend I do? Is there a rock solid HDMI switch that I can buy?
You can try a KINIVO PRO Series switch. Works with my UB820. Their customer service actually answers emails ! Got mine on Amazon about 6 months ago.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
Yes, and families / ‘normal people’ like that are the vast, vast majority of the Advanced-TV-buying Public.

Imagine how much the disgruntlement / posting here on AVS would go down if the ‘rules’ were that before returning your new WOLED TV or posting uniformity pics on AVS, you had to invite your neighbors over, have them sit at normal viewing distance to watch the content of your choosing, and then answer the question:

‘do you see anything wrong with my new TV? Do you think I should exchange it?’
Ha ha…yeah that would be an awful world for me. You should see how I am with auto body shops and their work on my car. They hate me as much as TV manufacturers.

Ok I will not hijack this thread anymore. I’m still hopeful I’ll be buying a 65” in the fall to replace my A1E.

·
Registered
Sony 83A90J, 65A8G, 75X900F Panasonic UB820, Sony 800M2, JBL Bar 9.1
51 Posts
ITS HAPPENING!!

delivery tomorow of 83 inch A90J!!
Supposedly it's either the second fastest one in Ontario or all of Canada!

also got the Apple TV 4K 2nd Gen today :)

@D-Nice , am I still on your list for calibration when the border opens??
Congrats ! Do you mind telling us where you bought it ? I’m going to be ordering one in the next 2 weeks just haven’t decided from where ! Lol. I had no idea D-Nice would do calibrations up here in the Great White North… so I’ll have to get on his list !

·
Vendor
30,875 Posts
I love Chris and the service he provides. I think the only downside to ordering through him the lack of returns available should you get something that isn't great panel wise.
If Sony deems a panel is no good Sony will swap the whole TV for free, this is verified from these members as well.
click here

click here

We also offer a Warranty for Burn in, Accidental Damage, and Defects. You break your TV, boy you will wish you bought from us as there is really no coverage for this ;)

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Ok I found the setting that shows vertical banding pretty bad at least on my set lol. Not for the ocd or faint of heart. It shows way worse than a 5% slide so it is either a glitch or represents like a 1% slide near black slide. Maybe dnice can check

so go to google Home Screen and scroll across the top to user setting with your initial in the circle and select that. As soon as it changes I saw black bars and it’s pretty narley lol
I don't have black bars, I have a color transition effect. Black on the left slowing going into dark blue on the right. 65" calibrated

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Well I have 25 hrs. of slides done. 75 hrs. to go. I should be done early Sunday. I am glad to of gotten this done now and be able to watch regular TV until D-Nice shows up at the lather part of July.

Everything is looking good and a good stress test to make sure I do not have any failures early on.
you don't think you would have watched well over 100 hours of regular content by July???

·
Premium Member
3,612 Posts
If Sony deems a panel is no good Sony will swap the whole TV for free ...
Sure they will ;-) But who wants Sony to make this decision for us?

You have a value proposition with offering substantial discounts that VE or Best Buy will not honor. The drawback is no or very limited returns that Sony will replace if they deem the panel is "no good."

No need to continually attempt to convince others (or perhaps you are trying to convince yourself?) who have found value with the VE QC and calibration process.

Of course Robert does this to make money and running the sets for 200 hours may actually decrease the rate of returns due to the panels clearing up much that some would consider unacceptable. So it is a win win for everyone...

And if you are going to get your TV calibrated regardless it is a no brainer with nothing to lose..

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tom C

·
Vendor
30,875 Posts
Sure they will ;-)
I replied to a person who made a statement with my name in the post offering some in site. Has nothing to do with what someone finds valuable and not valuable. Even from this >>>statement here<<< , the odds of getting a bad panel from anyone is slim to none. The only point I made a few times today is what Jeff agreed on me with from that post, I never devalued anything. Everyone has there own money and finds value of many things. It is great at this point we have free will.

This is an amazing display and if everyone thinks there are so many bad panels out there that is not good for anyone. It will start scaring people away from such a great product. I used Jeff's own post to try to bring an understanding to this point.

---Would be wonderful we could talk about the A90J again........ Until then keep in mind there are HUGE discounts going on the XR-83A90J. Paying retail might not be the way to go, when retail is nearly $2000 more.

·
Registered
XR83A90J, XBR65Z9D, XBR48A9S, SONOS Surround System, PANASONIC UB820, SONY PS5
630 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
I don’t de value calibration. It’s more of cost of tv that I have issue with. If I can get same tv from say @Cleveland Plasma 83in at 6500 and than pay chad 500. I am still 1k saved and guys we go thought being in New Jersey. I won’t have pay tax either. 😂😂😂

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is an amazing display and if everyone thinks there are so many bad panels out there that is not good for anyone. It will start scaring people away from such a great product.

---Would be wonderful we could talk about the A90J again........
You might find @D-Nice and @jrref have something to do with that. I'd wager of half the panels they see on this forum they tell people to return.

Not healthy for anyone.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Anyway let’s go back t
Like I said, Chris offers a great service for those willing to roll the dice with Sony customer service should they not be satisfied.

I have nothing but praise for what he provides and fully understand why so many people have gone through him and will continue to do so in the future.
fair. I had dead A90j 55in from him and Sony replacement it for free and sent me unit first then took away broken one. 👍
So nothing but good things say about Sony consumer support.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Look at the end of the day it's up for every person who buys this set to determine what is right for them. If you can't see issues in content, I personally don't really see the point in exchanging, but it's not my money. If the money spent requires someone to have a near perfect panel, and they're willing to go through the pain to get that, then good for them. All we can do is what's right for us.

All that said, this tv is absolutely fantastic. I have zero regrets purchasing it, even if I do choose to return my current set for another.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
And if you are going to get your TV calibrated regardless it is a no brainer with nothing to lose..
To be fair, the one potential downside is that if something happens to the TV after it is shipped (say a dead pixel), you can't return the TV to VE. You need to go through the manufacturer's warranty process and you essentially lose the $600 that you paid for the calibration on the TV that the manufacturer swapped out.

Yes the same thing can happen after you get the TV calibrated in your home. But, you're not putting your TV in the hands of a common carrier after you get it calibrated at home.

This is the reason why, although I do need to pay sales tax, I'm happy that VE is close enough to me that they are delivering my TV to me themselves, rather than shipping it to me.

·
Registered
19,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11,339 ·
You might find @D-Nice and @jrref have something to do with that. I'd wager of half the panels they see on this forum they tell people to return.

Not healthy for anyone.
You got me banned from the Uniformity thread a few days ago with this same BS. You then sent me FOS PMs claiming I reported you to the mods... which I didn't. This is MY thread and you will NOT continue this nonsense here. Post another comment like this and I will report you.... yeah for the very first time.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts

Not healthy for anyone.
What forum are you reading? I don't recall seeing @D-Nice telling someone to return a TV (in the past few months that I've been reading the OLED forum) and I'm certain that I haven't seen a suggestion like that from @jrref. That doesn't mean that it hasn't happened. But, if it were happening with any regularity at all, I believe that I would have noticed it

11321 - 11340 of 12299 Posts