AVS Forum banner

11361 - 11380 of 12303 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
View attachment 3143329

heres my 83 at 51 hours of use (10 second exposure) honestly can say i rarely see any banding in content so far. the next 50 hours are crucial to me. ill report back when it hits a 100 hours

edit: no manual refreshers or anything have been done

compared to heres 3 hours

View attachment 3143331
Looks pretty clean to me compared to other A90Js I have owned and seen. You are a lucky man! Enjoy your TV!

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I got my 83A90J yesterday and I'm pretty happy with it overall.

On the 5% gray screen there is a pretty abrupt line perfectly in the middle of the screen. I haven't noticed it in content other than the Youtube loading screen, so not sure yet how much it will bother me. There's also some subtle pink tinting on the bottom that you can see in the picture, but I didn't even notice it until I looked at the picture I took.

View attachment 3143328
THIS

I don't know how many people show a slide with their A90J and it shows bands ON PICTURES WITH CAMERA but to their own eyes it is not visible and Definetly not visible WITH REA WORLD WATCHING

it gets a bit OCD when people complain about a 10 sec exposure camera picture when the vast majority of people don't notice it HOW THEY WATCH THE TV lol

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
If you don’t see it in a slide but the camera shows it with longer exposure I agree. If you can see it without the camera’s eye it will eventually pop up in real world/content (whatever that is) at some point. Then it’s a matter of acceptance levels.

·
Registered
261 Posts
THIS

I don't know how many people show a slide with their A90J and it shows bands ON PICTURES WITH CAMERA but to their own eyes it is not visible and Definetly not visible WITH REA WORLD WATCHING

it gets a bit OCD when people complain about a 10 sec exposure camera picture when the vast majority of people don't notice it HOW THEY WATCH THE TV lol
It would definitely be nice for everyone's sanity around here to see more pics of the brilliant images these TVs produce to go along with the grey slides. Everyone wants to make sure they didn't get a dud while they can still ask for an exchange, totally understandable. However, it seems that it's hard for everyone to keep realistic expectations. Some of the panels I've seen people state they are returning are cleaner than any TV I've had in my life. I think it would be great to go back to where the thread was a couple months ago where we were seeing amazing pictures of real content that shows Sony's method isn't crushing blacks left and right and is producing awesome color volume even at high luminance levels.

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
It would definitely be nice for everyone's sanity around here to see more pics of the brilliant images these TVs produce to go along with the grey slides. Everyone wants to make sure they didn't get a dud while they can still ask for an exchange, totally understandable. However, it seems that it's hard for everyone to keep realistic expectations. Some of the panels I've seen people state they are returning are cleaner than any TV I've had in my life. I think it would be great to go back to where the thread was a couple months ago where we were seeing amazing pictures of real content that shows Sony's method isn't crushing blacks left and right and is producing awesome color volume even at high luminance levels.
I posted this over in the uniformity thread but it should be noted here as well.
I want to say something about my 65 A90J. At 5% i can see very slight vignetting mostly on the left side with some very slight tint in the upper right corner with a 5% patch. I can also see a thin magenta boarder around the complete circumference of the panel which all of the new panels have only with a 5% or less full screen gray patch. Most 65 A90Js have these characteristics to some extent. But full white is perfectly clean and even when i see some App sign-on gray screen, it's very hard to see. Even with very dark content it's not noticeable and I've been looking. This is different from previous years OLEDs where if you have tinting it's very obvious on full white, hockey, etc. And with very dark content you can see the banding and or vignetting as the camera pans. I'm not sure why the difference on this year's panels but it makes these issues less significant. Also, especially on the LGs, you need to give them some run time and maybe a manual pixel refresh to get rid of any screen retention from the factory. Some LGs look horrible when first turned on then they usually clear up even after you run the set for and let it do it's normal pixel refresh. I think the LG normal pixel refresh is way more aggressive this year. Pretty much the same for the Sony's. You need to run them for a while before making any kind of panel decision.

With this panel so far, i'm looking for issues but to be honest the PQ with content is outstanding.

·
Vendor
30,875 Posts
I will be honest on any of the TVs that I've ever bought, I have never invited anyone over to look at colored slides or gray scales :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
I will be honest on any of the TVs that I've ever bought, I have never invited anyone over to look at colored slides or gray scales :)
Come on man, there's nothing like popping on the SACD of Dark Side of the Moon while a series of gray and colored slides flash in rapid succession. Maybe this is why people decline my invitations. :D

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Is the 83 supposed to be discounted by now or soon?

Reactions: RxpSGR

·
Registered
92 Posts
View attachment 3143329

heres my 83 at 51 hours of use (10 second exposure) honestly can say i rarely see any banding in content so far. the next 50 hours are crucial to me. ill report back when it hits a 100 hours

edit: no manual refreshers or anything have been done

compared to heres 3 hours

View attachment 3143331
The top section looks much better. Did you find that when looking at the screen it appears much better than earlier but the pictures show less of an improvement?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I think the first time we may see a discount would be Black Friday - if past history of Master series pricing is anything to go by.
Are you talking about specifically Canada? D-Nice has confirmed a price drop soon and Chris has heavily hinted at one at least here in the US.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I think the first time we may see a discount would be Black Friday - if past history of Master series pricing is anything to go by.
Other versions of the A90J have already had their price reduced. According to D-Nice, who said that he had the Sony US pricing sheet (or whatever term they use for it), said that a price cut (or a sale) for the 83" model is planned for next Monday (6/14).

·
Registered
Sony 83A90J, 65A8G, 75X900F Panasonic UB820, Sony 800M2, JBL Bar 9.1
51 Posts
Other versions of the A90J have already had their price reduced. According to D-Nice, who said that he had the Sony US pricing sheet (or whatever term they use for it), said that a price cut (or a sale) for the 83" model is planned for next Monday (6/14).
From your lips to God’s ears ! 🤣… I’m watching prices up here like a hawk… I’ll post as soon as I see anything…

·
Registered
XR83A90J, XBR65Z9D, XBR48A9S, SONOS Surround System, PANASONIC UB820, SONY PS5
630 Posts
Is the 83 supposed to be discounted by now or soon?
Not to scare anyone but I was recently informed that the planned price cut may be cancelled by Sony due to supply & demand. The military exchange has pulled its big discount as well. We shall see. The planned price cut was $1000 off start 6/14. If it doesn’t start on 6/14 then we know it’s been pushed back for sure. I went ahead and purchased another 83” from the military exchange for $5999 shipped and will be returning my full price Best Buy unit. Unfortunately Robert couldn’t match that price and it was too hard to pass up. Military exchange is now back up to $7000 which is what the 83” price is supposed to drop to starting 6/14 across all retailers.

·
Vendor
30,875 Posts
Not to scare anyone but I was recently informed that the planned price cut may be cancelled by Sony due to supply & demand. The military exchange has pulled its big discount as well. We shall see. The planned price cut was $1000 off start 6/14. If it doesn’t start on 6/14 then we know it’s been pushed back for sure. I went ahead and purchased another 83” from the military exchange for $5999 shipped and will be returning my full price Best Buy unit. Unfortunately Robert couldn’t match that price and it was too hard to pass up. Military exchange is now back up to $7000 which is what the 83” price is supposed to drop to starting 6/14 across all retailers.
They may have gotten yelled at by Sony for violation of advertising below retail as well.......

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
They may have gotten yelled at by Sony for violation of advertising below retail as well.......
Are "members only" retailers subject to Minimum Advertised Pricing"? When I tool a look a look at the military exchange that @BigBlue83 is talking about, you had to sign into your account to see the price. Similarly, I know that many items that Costco sells at a discount on their website has the same condition. Most items at Costco.com have the price on them for anyone to see. But the other items have something like "members only. Login to see member price".

I always assumed that by not making the price available to the public, they were not "advertising", which allows them to sell to their members at a reduced price, as if they were dealing with an individual one on one.

I don't know that what I am saying is true. It's just the conclusion that I've made the leap towards.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Can someone with industry experience, perhaps @Cleveland Plasma explain what the deal is with this little pricing game? Why are retailers not allowed to sell as low as their margin permits at any given time? Doesn't the distributer pay whatever Sony demands anyway? Why does Sony care what they turn around and sell it at?

Reactions: Chere

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Can someone with industry experience, perhaps @Cleveland Plasma explain what the deal is with this little pricing game? Why are retailers not allowed to sell as low as their margin permits at any given time? Doesn't the distributer pay whatever Sony demands anyway? Why does Sony care what they turn around and sell it at?
Retailers can sell for whatever price they want to sell for. However, based on an agreement with the manufacturer, they can't advertise below a certain price. It's called Minimum Advertised Pricing (MAP).

So, while someone may publicly advertise a price of $8,000, if you go to the store, or call or email them, they might offer you a lower price in that one on one setting.

11361 - 11380 of 12303 Posts