AVS Forum banner

1021 - 1040 of 1222 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
BUMP for ANYTHING related.
This silence is the worst.
Come on TCL...
For TCL, Tuesdays are statistically more likely to be the day they make TV announcements. They seem to like Tuesdays, since the Monday catch up after weekend is over and tech sites/bloggers will jump on fresh content -- which will continue through the next weekend.

The Tuesday thing is not a rule, just a habit and they can announce whenever they wish. Even on a Friday...

TCL has already released their first U.S. 85" this year, the first of three in their 2021 XL collection. Q1 85" 4K 4-Series, for $1599, as promised at CES back in January.

@randy1911 says announcement will come in April for others and all TVs EXCEPT for the 85" 8K OD ZERO will be in stores by late May, some in April. 85" 8K OD ZERO (last of the XL collection) of course will come in Q3, as 2021 8-Series. The sibling 8K 75" 8-Series OD ZERO will come sometime after that
A few weeks? Don't know.

So, it's now early April. More news should be coming soon on the U.S. 4K 5-Series, 8K 6-Series, and the strange standalone 85" 4K 7-Series model with the specs of a 4K 5-Series (unless there's more information we don't know about it).

Remember, TCL releases TVs around the world. Even Samsung rolled out the QN900A in Australia, Asia and Europe first before U.S.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
I agree because of this phenomenon of marketing:

Yep, Cheap Wine Really Does Taste Better if You Increase The Price Tag

For TVs, a lot of people will judge on price or brand because they don't have the technical expertise themselves to actually know what they are buying or the test equipment to run numbers. Or they don't know about the back end of the TV manufacturing business where TCL's CSOT has been supplying panels to top brand OEMs for YEARS. (Much like how ASUS supplied motherboards and almost all the parts for Dells back when ASUS was just a supplier and Dell was considered the top brand PC. Then ASUS started building their own PCs, and being vertically integrated could give better quality for less cost and competed with Dell here in the U.S.)

In the corporate world decades ago they used to say, "You can't get fired for buying IBM." Then it got changed to Microsoft software, back during the Office Suite wars. You can't get fired for buying Microsoft. It may have bugs, issues, cost way too much. But that's not YOUR fault. Whereas if you bought some cheaper, off brand software with much better features, the ONE time Karen in Accounting can't print something then it's YOUR fault.

Now, with consumer TVs none of your friends are going to question you, make fun of you for buying Samsung. They probably SHOULD, because of the Dolby Vision fiasco, but that technical matter is still beyond the comprehension of most people.

In these threads, I know someone who really wanted a higher end Sony ($2000) but got a TCL 5-Series instead. :unsure: (He should have bought an 8-Series but admitted his ignorance by stating he rejected that because it was a "2019" TV. That showed you his knowledge level right there.) Anyway, he started posting a lot of pictures where he was unsatisfied with his 5-Series. But guess what? He was posting these pictures and complaints IN the 6-Series OWNERS thread. :unsure: For WEEKS, without disclosing it was a completely different model. :mad:When he finally mentioned his "5-Series", we asked him why he was complaining about his 5-Series in the 6-Series thread and he said because no one would respond to him in the 5-Series thread. :rolleyes: When told he couldn't do that (it's an owner's thread), then he started playing word games "just asking questions" (a.k.a. JAQ'ing off) to "compare" the 5-Series to the 6-Series -- still posting his pictures daily -- so Mods wouldn't issue infractions. Finally he returned his 5-Series TV and bought TWO -- yes TWO -- 6-Series TVs. Said he was going to keep whichever one was wasn't screwed up. His theory (don't laugh) was the the entire TCL 5-Series TVs were comprised of 6-Series panel rejects. And he wasn't confident of the 6-Series "because the two TVs were almost alike." So, he moved up to the 6-Series, but still wouldn't consider the 8-Series.

Of course (due to his mindset) he found multiple issues with the two 6-Series as well, posting multiple pictures daily and finding and posting other examples from Reddit of people who didn't like their 6-Series. Misery loves company. He couldn't let a new web page in the 6-Series thread be started without YET AGAIN posting his complaints. Fresh page!

After weeks of these daily tantrums, he returned both 6-Series TVs and finally paid $2000 for the Sony he really wanted the entire time.

Now if you have read that Sony model thread, you know owners in there are complaining about multiple issues.
But he's NOT going to look for those. He's just going to happily watch TV instead of running DSE tests every day like he was with TCL. If you had taken a TCL 8-Series, slapped a Sony label on it, charged him $2000, he would have been blissfully happy on Day 1. ;)

So, if someone REALLY wants a Samsung, then they better go get a Samsung because they will nit pick another TV to death and while ignoring all the Samsung issues because they "don't matter." And when they tell their friends they bought a Samsung, they will nod approvingly.
Whew...a lot of conjecture in there

You failed to mention all the people that complained( and returned) multiple TCL 6 and 8 series Tv's

You might also look at all the " fanfare" when the TCL 8 series came out and boy oh boy there were some issues

Some people dont want to have to exchange multiple Tv's and the thought might be that the name brands have much better QC control

You used some anecdotal information and here is some more
There is ALWAYS a market for the cheapest item out there

Warren

Reactions: TV seeker

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Whew...a lot of conjecture in there

You failed to mention all the people that complained( and returned) multiple TCL 6 and 8 series Tv's

You might also look at all the " fanfare" when the TCL 8 series came out and boy oh boy there were some issues

Some people dont want to have to exchange multiple Tv's and the thought might be that the name brands have much better QC control

You used some anecdotal information and here is some more
There is ALWAYS a market for the cheapest item out there

Warren
As the post said,

1) If you really want a Samsung or Sony then that is what you should buy. You will be happier.

2) Also don't buy a 2020 TCL 5-Seres (lower tier budget TV) and expect it to perform as something like a 2020 Sony X950H. TCL does make TVs which can compete at that level, but it's not the 5-Series.

In U.S., there's a reason TCL segregates features and hardware specs into easily discernable tiers. Currently, 3-Series, 4-Series, 5-Series, 6-Series, 8-Series.

3) Also don't post in owner's thread for weeks about a completely different lower model and try to pretend it's that thread model -- posting screen pictures, complaints as if you have that higher model.

Is there something in those three points you think are not true?

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
As the post said,

1) If you really want a Samsung or Sony then that is what you should buy. You will be happier.

2) Also don't buy a TCL 5-Seres (lower tier budget TV) and expect it to perform as something like a Sony X950H. TCL does make TVs which can compete at that level, but it's not the 5-Series.

3) Also don't post in owner's threads for weeks about a completely different model and pretend it's that model.

Is there something in those three points you think are not true?
1. I think most people on AVS have multiple brands in their home..probably for good reasons
Are you suggesting their reasons were not valid?

2. Common sense there...Dont buy a Honda and expect it to drive like a Mercedes 4 matic

3. Not even sure what that means.....Is there a suggestion of historical models implying future performance

And I will add a couple....

4. No one has hands on this and thus this is 99% speculation?..is that accurate
5. Was there any point here in the thread where TCL's " anticipated" performance versus their actual product performance( and gap therein) was discussed?

There is a few other things that come to mind...but thats a decent start

Warren

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
3. Not even sure what that means.....Is there a suggestion of historical models implying future performance

Warren
For #3, you're not reading. I can tell you didn't even read the original post. Has nothing to do with "historical performance." Simply, a 5-series is not a 6-series. Don't post complaints in a completely unrelated thread because you want attention or you think there's not much difference in two completely different series.

The point is: Someone should not post for weeks in the 6-Series owner's thread about their 5-Series problems without disclosing they own and talking about a completely different lower model. There's a reason there's a 5-Series owner's thread -- and if there wasn't then that person should start one. But there was. They started cross posting in the 6-Series thread, making people believe they had a 6-Series when they did not. They said they also posted in the 5-Series thread but they said they weren't getting enough reaction there. They bluntly admitted this.

That was a specific example, but the larger point about not polluting forum owner's threads in general was the main idea of point #3. The overall points were often lack of knowledge of what someone is buying and what performance to expect. So they best stick to brands and price that will be in their comfort zone.

End of discussion.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
5. Was there any point here in the thread where TCL's " anticipated" performance versus their actual product performance( and gap therein) was discussed?

Warren

This thread is about 2021 TVs and OD Zero.
What is the point of talking about the difference between anticipated vs. actual performance when neither the specs have been formally announced nor the TVs are in people’s hands to compare/evaluate? If you don’t trust TCL’s quality control and are not interested in these TVs, then why are you commenting here?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,030 ·
I don't understand why people come in this thread just to troll. If you have nothing to contribute or a real question that has some validity then simply go to another thread. The people that want a tcl will buy one the ones who doesn't, will not. Its actually not rocket science or advanced algebraic equations. If you don't like TCL or you love another brand and wont give tcl another thought go to another thread. Everyone please let the trolls vent their frustrations uninterrupted without response, the mods will take care of it but at this point its actually pointless to entertain the trolls.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
This thread is about 2021 TVs and OD Zero.
What is the point of talking about the difference between anticipated vs. actual performance when neither the specs have been formally announced nor the TVs are in people’s hands to compare/evaluate? If you don’t trust TCL’s quality control and are not interested in these TVs, then why are you commenting here?

Ok

so comments like this one below make sense in this thread
Is that what you are saying?

Please explain to me..in copious detail if you would ..how this statement would apply to what this thread is about?
Because quite honestly..that statement and the rest of that post speaks to something quite different

Warren

Reactions: TV seeker

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Ok

so comments like this one below make sense in this thread
Is that what you are saying?

Please explain to me..in copious detail if you would ..how this statement would apply to what this thread is about?
Because quite honestly..that statement and the rest of that post speaks to something quite different

Warren
My last answer to you. It's a post expounding upon someone else's point that even though TCL's CSOT -- of which Samsung now owns 12% -- is using same panels for both the Samsung QN900A and TCL OD ZERO (U.S. 8-Series) they will not be identical finished TVs. No one says they are. But they have the same 8K CSOT panel. TCL will have Dolby Vision and other goodies they are working on. The two TVs will be fraternal twins.

The price difference $9000 vs $3500 is due to various strategic reasons on TCL's part -- already discussed in great detail earlier in the thread. (Read the thread! Not just the last page.)

But SOME PEOPLE regardless of the much lesser price will ONLY be happy if they buy X brand and pay premium price. Those people will nit pick the $3500 version to death and totally ignore the same issues in the $9000 version with X brand logo.

So, you're wrong. The post is all about the TCL OD ZERO and the people who should not buy it. It's outside their comfort zone. From your comments so far against TCL, perhaps you are one of the people who should ignore this Q3 premium TV?

That post was fleshing out another member's post, which he was afraid would be misconstrued. He thanked me for it.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
My last answer to you. It's a post expounding upon someone else's point that even though TCL's CSOT -- of which Samsung now owns 12% -- is using same panels for both the Samsung QN900A and TCL OD ZERO (U.S. 8-Series) they will not be identical finished TVs. No one says they are. But they have the same 8K CSOT panel. TCL will have Dolby Vision and other goodies they are working on.

The price difference $9000 vs $3500 is due to various strategic reasons on TCL's part -- already discussed in great detail earlier in the thread. (Read the thread! Not just the last page.)

But SOME PEOPLE regardless of the much lesser price will ONLY be happy if they buy X brand and pay premium price. Those people will nit pick the $3500 version to death and totally ignore the same issues in the $9000 version with X brand logo.

So, you're wrong. The post is all about the TCL OD ZERO and the people who should not buy it. It's outside their comfort zone. From your comments so far, perhaps you are one of the people who should ignore this Q3 premium TV?

I see...so the comment ( and its details) below fits that narrative?......;)

Again...you answered my question and I think I fully understand your due diligence

Warren

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
My last answer to you. It's a post expounding upon someone else's point that even though TCL's CSOT -- of which Samsung now owns 12% -- is using same panels for both the Samsung QN900A and TCL OD ZERO (U.S. 8-Series) they will not be identical finished TVs. No one says they are. But they have the same 8K CSOT panel. TCL will have Dolby Vision and other goodies they are working on.

So, you're wrong. The post is all about the TCL OD ZERO and the people who should not buy it. It's outside their comfort zone. From your comments so far against TCL, perhaps you are one of the people who should ignore this Q3 premium TV?

That post was fleshing out another member's post, which he was afraid would be misconstrued. He thanked me for it.
I know you're in this thread as well, but given the 85QN900A has 2,340 zones, how does that reconcile with the OD-ZERO?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I know you're in this thread as well, but given the 85QN900A has 2,340 zones, how does that reconcile with the OD-ZERO?
Yes, I am. It's my post in that thread highlighting the 2340 zones. I took the screenshot and marked it up to make it easier to read. I also posted the 75" QN900A zones confirmed by the German tech outfit back in mid February.

This is my most recent post:

This was discussed in this thread last week. @randy1911 says looks like CSOT managed to improve pre-production numbers with the zones, which is fantastic. He thinks it means the OD ZERO may have 2340 zones also, at least the U.S. 8-Series version.

Scroll back and read his reply. Start here, and read the next few posts after that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Weird pissing contest happening it seems with only one side seemingly relevant to the actual topic of an 85" OD Zero TCL.
That is the thread topic and THAT is the unit I'm interested in hearing news about.
The U.S. 2021 8-Series.
Let's keep it about that.
I'd like to see the value to performance this unit may deliver in relation to a 77" G1 particularly. I've been a Samsung house for years and prior to that, Sony. A 63" Samsung Plasma (can't remember the model #) that had been being used as a Gaming TV I repaired from my father and it died and I scooped a 2019 6-Series after searching reviews online. RTINGS/HDTV TEST/DIGITAL TRENDS/Etc. For the money, it was surprisingly not bad. Probably the best $500 I've ever spent. Anyhow, No, it's certainly not perfect, but for the money, it's a tough unit to beat; and in that pinch, it worked out. Anyhow, I'm due to replace my UN55C8000 from Samsung that has been our main TV for 11 years now. There's nothing actually wrong with it. I'm just fiendish for a new set. After the lesson I learned from giving a "lesser" tier maker a chance, I am far less likely to buy into a upper tier nameplate simply because a name. I'm particular about specific models and ranges within a line. I gravitate towards the higher end of product if they perform via the test results from reviewers and I'm very interested in the 2021 8-Series OD Zero offering. I am going large, so either that 85" unit pending specs and reviews or a 77" LG G1. Gaming matters, streaming performance matters, brightness matters, processing matters.

Again, looking forward to hearing more about the 2021 OD Zero 8-Series.
👀

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yes, I am. It's my post in that thread highlighting the 2340 zones. I took the screenshot and marked it up to make it easier to read. I also posted the 75" QN900A zones confirmed by the German tech outfit back in mid February.

This is my most recent post:

This was discussed in this thread last week. @randy1911 says looks like CSOT managed to improve pre-production numbers with the zones, which is fantastic. He thinks it means the OD ZERO may have 2340 zones also, at least the U.S. 8-Series version.

Scroll back and read his reply. Start here, and read the next few posts after that.
I am not an electrical engineer, but is zone count primarily a hardware/circuitry design issue, or software/firmware issue? If hypothetically the 85 Samsung and 85 TCL 8 series don’t have exactly the same zone count, for example, would that imply different physical panels or something else (like processing power and firmware) going on?

I asked before but people seem to want to argue more than discuss the science of this new FALD backlight design (OD ZERO).

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Thinking about it, I would guess hardware (matrix). If it was software, each mini-LED would have to be individually controllable in order for the software to "group" them into zones, or change the size of the group. Just my guess tho.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thinking about it, I would guess hardware (matrix). If it was software, each mini-LED would have to be individually controllable in order for the software to "group" them into zones, or change the size of the group. Just my guess tho.
That is what I would suspect too, but don’t know for sure. But then that also would imply that TCL already redesigned the OD ZERO miniled matrix configuration between CES and now? If the zone counts have changed (Number cited in TCL press releases and presentations, vs what people are seeing on 85 Q900A). Seems odd to me...?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Weird pissing contest happening it seems with only one side seemingly relevant to the actual topic of an 85" OD Zero TCL.
That is the thread topic and THAT is the unit I'm interested in hearing news about.
The U.S. 2021 8-Series.
Let's keep it about that.
I'd like to see the value to performance this unit may deliver in relation to a 77" G1 particularly. I've been a Samsung house for years and prior to that, Sony. A 63" Samsung Plasma (can't remember the model #) that had been being used as a Gaming TV I repaired from my father and it died and I scooped a 2019 6-Series after searching reviews online. RTINGS/HDTV TEST/DIGITAL TRENDS/Etc. For the money, it was surprisingly not bad. Probably the best $500 I've ever spent. Anyhow, No, it's certainly not perfect, but for the money, it's a tough unit to beat; and in that pinch, it worked out. Anyhow, I'm due to replace my UN55C8000 from Samsung that has been our main TV for 11 years now. There's nothing actually wrong with it. I'm just fiendish for a new set. After the lesson I learned from giving a "lesser" tier maker a chance, I am far less likely to buy into a upper tier nameplate simply because a name. I'm particular about specific models and ranges within a line. I gravitate towards the higher end of product if they perform via the test results from reviewers and I'm very interested in the 2021 8-Series OD Zero offering. I am going large, so either that 85" unit pending specs and reviews or a 77" LG G1. Gaming matters, streaming performance matters, brightness matters, processing matters.

Again, looking forward to hearing more about the 2021 OD Zero 8-Series.
👀
is it going to be the 8 series, thought i read somewhere it's going to be the 9 series

1021 - 1040 of 1222 Posts