AVS Forum banner

1041 - 1060 of 1217 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
That is what I would suspect too, but don’t know for sure. But then that also would imply that TCL already redesigned the OD ZERO miniled matrix configuration between CES and now? If the zone counts have changed (Number cited in TCL press releases and presentations, vs what people are seeing on 85 Q900A). Seems odd to me...?
@randy1911 said this also happened with the 2019 8-Series, where actual production dimming zones exceeded pre-production numbers.

You would have to ask him how, why. Or his inside source.

I know they're always working on improvements, but at some point they have to draw a line in the sand and call it this year's specs vs next year. Otherwise they would never ship any TVs, just keep improving in some lab...

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Found this article on microLED that mentions CSOT that is interesting:

Reactions: FrostByteLXV

·
Registered
32 Posts
is it going to be the 8 series, thought i read somewhere it's going to be the 9 series
I don't know first hand, this is just what word of mouth has labeled it. It makes sense largely to just introduce it as the 2021 8-Series.
I guess we'll find out eventually.

Edit, I see this has been addressed in above responses.
👍

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I don't know first hand, this is just what word of mouth has labeled it. It makes sense largely to just introduce it as the 2021 8-Series.
I guess we'll find out eventually.

Edit, I see this has been addressed in above responses.
All the insiders say OD ZERO will be U.S. 8-Series. There is an even higher end mystery TV which could be introduced as 9-Series -- but TCL wants to see how the $3500 85" 8-Series will sell, first. It's their biggest, highest spec, most expensive TV so far in the U.S. market. They're either losing money on it or close to losing money to make a big splash in Q3. They're not going to introduce an even more expensive series if there's no demand.

TCL is sort of the reverse of Mercedes. In Europe, Germany's Mercedes makes wide range of vehicles, just like General Motors. There are Mercedes taxis. It's nothing special. But in the U.S., Mercedes ONLY imports their higher end vehicles. It's known as a "luxury" brand in the U.S. As if GM only made "Cadillac."

TCL in the U.S. has only been importing their more affordable models so far, to compete for the "Vizio" slot. But they would like to show off their even more impressive wares at some point.

·
Registered
370 Posts
All the insiders say OD ZERO will be U.S. 8-Series. There is an even higher end mystery TV which could be introduced as 9-Series -- but TCL wants to see how the $3500 85" 8-Series will sell, first. It's their biggest, highest spec, most expensive TV so far in the U.S. market. They're either losing money on it or close to losing money to make a big splash in Q3. They're not going to introduce an even more expensive series if there's no demand.

TCL is sort of the reverse of Mercedes. In Europe, Germany's Mercedes makes wide range of vehicles, just like General Motors. There are Mercedes taxis. It's nothing special. But in the U.S., Mercedes ONLY imports their higher end vehicles. It's known as a "luxury" brand in the U.S. As if GM only made "Cadillac".

TCL in the U.S. has only been importing their more affordable models so far, to claim the "Vizio" spot. But they would like to show off their even more impressive wares at some point.
The Samsung and Sony flagship 8k are launching at 9 and 10k, you would TCL's 85 inch 8ktv for $3500 should sell well

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
The Samsung and Sony flagship 8k are launching at 9 and 10k, you would TCL's 85 inch 8ktv for $3500 should sell well
TCL's 2021 6-Series will also be 8K, but will use a lesser version of the AiPQ upscaling engine. Allegedly 75" 8K 6-Series will be less than $2000, with 55" 8K less than $1000. Yes, 8K for less than $1,000. (Those are admittedly off-the-record rumors from 2021 CES, and I will believe those prices when I see them.)

The difference is the 2021 8-Series is top tier flagship and using same 8K panel as Samsung QN900A, with OD ZERO technology. With best AiPQ upscaling engine and probably something audio related -- maybe built-in WiSA technology?

But I'm afraid too many people will rush to get those attractively priced Q2 8K 6-Series TVs, and not wait for the really good stuff coming in Q3. I'm waiting.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,053
Here is the latest information I got. This is for the US market only
2021 TCL 6 series is going after the 4k highend crowd and entry 8k so X90,QN90,LGnano99 and QN700 and QN800.
In stores late may early june. New sound bars is incomming also with updates to happen shortly.
2021 TCL 8 series OD zero is going after the QN900, LG C1 G1, A90J crowd
In stores late Aug Early Sept New sound bars imminent with technologies.
2021 TCL 5/7 series is 4k hdr with more zones and a step above entry level.
In stores Late may
2021 TCL 3/4 series is entry level 4k hdr television.
In stores mid to late April. (some are in stores now based on location)

Soft launch happened Last week of March with 4 series XL models only
Hard Launch Announcement presentation is coming in late April to Early may.

Delays happened due to chip shortage, delivery shortage along with covid.

·
UHD Addict
38,233 Posts
TCL's 2021 6-Series will also be 8K, but will use a lesser version of the AiPQ upscaling engine. Allegedly 75" 8K 6-Series will be less than $2000, with 55" 8K less than $1000. Yes, 8K for less than $1,000. (Those are admittedly off-the-record rumors from 2021 CES, and I will believe those prices when I see them.)

The difference is the 2021 8-Series is top tier flagship and using same 8K panel as Samsung QN900A, with OD ZERO technology. With best AiPQ upscaling engine and probably something audio related -- maybe built-in WiSA technology?

But I'm afraid too many people will rush to get those attractively priced Q2 8K 6-Series TVs, and not wait for the really good stuff coming in Q3. I'm waiting.
I'm curious how the new 6 series will compare to the 2019 8 Series. If it compares favorably I will get the new 8K 6 Series at 65" and then wait until later to get a 2021 75" 8 series. Or a 65" 8 Series if they decide to release one later. Since I really don't want to repeat my mistakes last fall, with the 75" 8 series.

I should have just gone with the 65" version for my main setup. Instead of getting the 75" for my secondary setup. But at least the secondary setup made it much easier for the deliveries and returns. Since it's my Living room and a much larger space. And made it very easy for the Best Buy peeple to unpack and pack things up.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Here is the latest information I got. This is for the US market only
2021 TCL 6 series is going after the 4k highend crowd and entry 8k so X90,QN90,LGnano99 and QN700 and QN800.
In stores late may early june. New sound bars is incomming also with updates to happen shortly.
2021 TCL 8 series OD zero is going after the QN900, LG C1 G1, A90J crowd
In stores late Aug Early Sept New sound bars imminent with technologies.
2021 TCL 5/7 series is 4k hdr with more zones and a step above entry level.
In stores Late may
2021 TCL 3/4 series is entry level 4k hdr television.
In stores mid to late April. (some are in stores now based on location)

Soft launch happened Last week of March with 4 series XL models only
Hard Launch Announcement presentation is coming in late April to Early may.

Delays happened due to chip shortage, delivery shortage along with covid.
What's your source of info? I'm asking this question case on 6 series 2020 thread someone mentioned that there won't be a new 4k 6 series for 2021, it is going to be the same 2020 4k 6 series TV and a new 6 series 2021 8k TV.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
The new one is 8K That is why I think its a mistake reusing Series numbers. Not like there are no numbers higher than 8

·
Registered
4,486 Posts

Everyone wanting a 85 inch will also be waiting.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
The new one is 8K That is why I think its a mistake reusing Series numbers. Not like there are no numbers higher than 8
Right. The model letter can be different to denote it's the 8K 2021 6-Series version vs the holdover 4K 2020 version. As well as the individual model number. There are numbers AFTER the "6".

Using 75" 6-Series as example:

2019: 75R617 & 75R625
2020: 75R635
2021: 75S645 (my prediction)

R= 2019, 2020 4K
S = 2021 8K?

Also the number after the Series number usually advances a digit.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
What's your source of info? I'm asking this question case on 6 series 2020 thread someone mentioned that there won't be a new 4k 6 series for 2021, it is going to be the same 2020 4k 6 series TV and a new 6 series 2021 8k TV.
His source cannot be named. . He's feeding him inside information. Just be grateful.

The 2021 6-Series will be 8K.

He means the 8K 6-Series pricing will be low enough it will compete with other brands' higher end 4K and entry level 8K:

@randy1911: "2021 TCL 6 series is going after the 4k highend crowd and entry 8k so X90, QN90, LGnano99 and QN700 and QN800.

In stores late may, early june.

New sound bars is incomming also with updates to happen shortly. "

The 2020 4K 6-Series will still be sold alongside the 2021 8K 6-Series, I guess for those people who can't stand an 8K TV priced like a 4K TV in their living room...

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'll be waiting to see the 85" 8-series debut. I'm really interested in seeing how the zero-distance tech pans out for TCL this year. Sadly my wife doesn't like the fact we have a 75" tv (2018 6-series, which she thinks is already too big) and I had to nag her for years just to get permission to upgrade from our old LG plasma. Following the changing tv technology from year to year is fascinating and I cant help but be interested in each year's newer tv's 😂

1041 - 1060 of 1217 Posts