AVS Forum banner

1061 - 1080 of 1218 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I'll be waiting to see the 85" 8-series debut. I'm really interested in seeing how the zero-distance tech pans out for TCL this year. Sadly my wife doesn't like the fact we have a 75" tv (2018 6-series, which she thinks is already too big) and I had to nag her for years just to get permission to upgrade from our old LG plasma. Following the changing tv technology from year to year is fascinating and I cant help but be interested in each year's newer tv's
I still have 60" 2014 1080p LG plasma in my living room.

Going to 85" 8K is going to be quite a jump!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Right. The model letter can be different to denote it's the 8K 2021 6-Series version vs the holdover 4K 2020 version. As well as the individual model number. There are numbers AFTER the "6".

Using 75" 6-Series as example:

2019: 75R617 & 75R625
2020: 75R635
2021: 75S645 (my prediction)

R= 2019, 2020 4K
S = 2021 8K?

Also the number after the Series number usually advances a digit.
I read several news sites state that the 2021 6 series model number was R648, which seems like an increment of the 2nd to last digit (in line with R625 for 2019 and R635 for 2020), and the last digit changing to 8 presumably to represent 8K:

But who knows for sure until the formal announcement is made?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I read several news sites state that the 2021 6 series model number was R648, which seems like an increment of the 2nd to last digit (in line with R625 for 2019 and R635 for 2020), and the last digit changing to 8 presumably to represent 8K:

But who knows for sure until the formal announcement is made?
Good find!

You're probably right. I was just thinking they should change more than the last two numbers to jump to 8K. They should also change the letter -- but whatever you read is probably correct.

On a side note, 2019 had two different 6-Series 75", R17 and R25. I think one was a Costco exclusive, but I don't know the difference. But it's not like there haven't been different variants of same size series sold at the same time.

Also, in 2020, TCL sold both Roku and Android 4-Series in the U.S. Again, two different variants of the same series.

In 2021, TCL will sell holdover 2020 4K 6-Series alongside 2021 8K 6-Series.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Here is the latest information I got. This is for the US market only

* 2021 TCL (8K) 6 series is going after the 4k highend crowd and entry 8k so X90,QN90,LGnano99 and QN700 and QN800.
In stores late may early june.
New sound bars is incoming also with updates to happen shortly.

* 2021 TCL 8 series OD zero is going after the QN900, LG C1 G1, A90J crowd
In stores late Aug Early Sept
New sound bars imminent with technologies.

* 2021 TCL 5/7 series is 4k hdr with more zones and a step above entry level.
In stores Late may

* 2021 TCL 3/4 series is entry level 4k hdr television.
In stores mid to late April. (some are in stores now based on location)

Soft launch happened Last week of March with 4 series XL models only
Hard Launch Announcement presentation is coming in late April to Early may.

Delays happened due to chip shortage, delivery shortage along with covid.
OK, let's unpack this, especially the bolded parts. (y)

OD ZERO late August / early September
As expected the time lines have shifted some. Couple of months ago, when I first heard "early Q3" for OD ZERO (that would mean July), I was very skeptical, because of COVID, chip shortage, and because TCL is trying to hit certain target price. In my mind, I had always translated that to at least mid-August. ;) You even had always said timelines could shift 30 - 45 days due to those issues, so it's not a surprise. Late August / early September is more realistic, so thanks for the updated information.

8K 6-Series late May / early June
Very curious about the 8K 6-Series. I know the OD ZERO panels will be same as Samsung QN900A, but the TCL AiPC upscaling engine used in OD ZERO (U.S. 8-Series) will be a BETTER version of what is used on the 8K 6-Series. So, I would like to see reviews of that, then mentally calculate OD ZERO will be even better (better panel, better upscaling engine).

New sound bars imminent with technologies.
I am really curious about this. Right now the 2021 LG SP11RA (7.1.4, 770 watts) is atop my favorites list, but the Samsung HW-Q950A (11.1.4, 616 watts) as well as the Klipsch Cinema 1200 (5.1.4, 1200 watts, 8K passthrough!) are also being considered. Samsung doesn't support Dolby Vision and the Klipsch stupidly doesn't have DTS:X even though the prototype did. I have to decide if those are deal breakers. If so, then LG wins. I'm not going going to buy a premium Dolby Atmos/DTS:X soundbar until AFTER buying OD ZERO so TCL still has a chance. If they do something amazing, especially with WiSA technology, has full HDMI 2.1 ports and it works well, they can have my money.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Why would you care if the soundbar supports DV? Are you thinking of hooking something like a Shield or Xbox to the soundbar and passing DV through the soundbar to the TV, instead of hooking the Shield (or whatever) directly to the TV?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Why would you care if the soundbar supports DV? Are you thinking of hooking something like a Shield or Xbox to the soundbar and passing DV through the soundbar to the TV, instead of hooking the Shield (or whatever) directly to the TV?
Since the OD ZERO will process Dolby Vision, I would hope it doesn't matter the soundbar doesn't.

But yes, also depends on how many external HDMI connections I need. Right now I have a 3-switch HDMI splitter for my current 2014 LG plasma TV with 1,000 watt 5.1 Sony system. I don't have enough HDMI ports. Nintendo, Roku Ultra, Blu-ray, Google TV, cable box, stereo...

I know the 8-Series will have Roku built in, but I also know many people with Roku TVs still prefer external Roku device for different reasons I won't go into here.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
I know the 8-Series will have Roku built in, but I also know many people with Roku TVs still prefer external Roku device for different reasons I won't go into here.
Only reason I can come up with is adjusting settings on the TV without exiting the playing program (like audio adjustments), screen saver adjustments, etc. Otherwise, as far as I can tell, the Roku version on the TV is the Ultra version with DV and Atmos.

Reactions: ChazzMatt

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Only reason I can come up with is adjusting settings on the TV without exiting the playing program (like audio adjustments), screen saver adjustments, etc. Otherwise, as far as I can tell, the Roku version on the TV is the Ultra version with DV and Atmos.
I've heard some TVs (not saying TCL specifically) with built-in Roku seem to not have enough processing power and stall when doing tasks (reboot fixes), maybe don't pass Dolby Atmos on some apps while strangely the Roku stick apps do... Just a variety of things.

This OD ZERO should have plenty of processing power, but I've seen bugs reported in various threads, so people still rely on external Roku dongle.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Only issue I have with the Series 8, is I can be scrolling through the guide on an app, and it will just stop like it isnt receiving the commands from the remote. Pause a second or two, and it starts working again. I really would prefer an option to load the Android OS on it, but that would probably slow it down more.

·
UHD Addict
38,233 Posts
I've heard some TVs (not saying TCL specifically) with built-in Roku seem to not have enough processing power and stall when doing tasks (reboot fixes), maybe don't pass Dolby Atmos on some apps while strangely the Roku stick apps do... Just a variety of things.

This OD ZERO should have plenty of processing power, but I've seen bugs reported in various threads, so people still rely on external Roku dongle.
There will always be external devices that do a better job than the TV. I use several 5x1 18Gbps HDMI switches in each of my UHD setups to be able to use all my devices. And my setup with a speaker bar it is a necessity to have hdmi switches. Since the speaker bar only has one hdmi input. So the three 5x1 hdmi switches are cascaded to be able to support the thirteen devices I have connected to the speaker bar. Plus I still use the other hdmi inputs on the TV in that setup.

As far as the roku TV. My 2018 6 series and the 8 series TVs I had, all performed the same as my 4K roku sticks. Which is to say they did a great job. But because there is not much storage, they need to download many apps before you use them each time. Since there isn't enough storage to store them all at once. Like you have with my Roke Ultras.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab A7 Gold

·
Registered
545 Posts
I am done buying TV's for the next 5 years!
To buy a new TV you have to sell the old one and nobody wants to buy a used TV because prices of new TV'S are very low!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I am done buying TV's for the next 5 years!
To buy a new TV you have to sell the old one and nobody wants to buy a used TV because prices of new TV'S are very low!
Give it away to relative or something. They have to come pick it up. ;)

In 2014, one of my brothers-in-law got my 2008 60" 1080p Sony Bravia when I bought my 60" 1080p LG Plasma. He helped me bring it home from the store in his truck and I helped him move the Sony TV from the living room out to his truck. It's still in his basement. I already told my sister he's getting my 2014 60" LG Plasma for his basement.

If for some reason he doesn't want it, there's Craigslist. Free for pickup. Not going to try to sell it.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Only issue I have with the Series 8, is I can be scrolling through the guide on an app, and it will just stop like it isnt receiving the commands from the remote. Pause a second or two, and it starts working again. I really would prefer an option to load the Android OS on it, but that would probably slow it down more.
I think part of the reason is it's from 2019 and the Roku software has gotten more complex. Happens with smartphones too. They "slow down" with time because apps get bigger, take more cache, etc. This is part of the reason why some people prefer external streaming dongle. Let it do the work, let the TV just be a TV/monitor.

I really would prefer an option to load the Android OS on it, but that would probably slow it down more.
I have both Roku Ultra box and the new Google TV (Android) Chromecast dongle. I use whichever one I want, and doesn't slow down the TV because the external device is doing the work.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Yea, I am probably going to get the Tivo Stream dongle to play with until the next Nvidia Shield comes out (assuming it isnt like their video cards where Id had to pay a scalper $1000 on ebay for it). I looked at the google, but it does not have FF and RW buttons on the remote. Guess you use the wheel?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Yea, I am probably going to get the Tivo Stream dongle to play with until the next Nvidia Shield comes out (assuming it isnt like their video cards where Id had to pay a scalper $1000 on ebay for it). I looked at the google, but it does not have FF and RW buttons on the remote. Guess you use the wheel?
Yes, the wheel. Also there's 10 seconds back and 10 seconds forward marks on either side of the "play/pause" notch on the timeline. At least on the Disney Plus app, which is where my daughters live. (Disney/Pixar/Marvel/Nat Geo and more all in one streaming service.)

The remote even controls TV volume with a very ergonomic up/down button located on the side. I have mine programmed to control the volume my Sony 5.1 stereo receiver.

Anyway, with Google TV (Android OS) Chromecast dongle then you're using that to choose streaming content and your 8-Series TV can just be an excellent monitor.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Well, I checked the Tivo out, and it is linked to another streaming service, so I ruled that out.
I like the AiPQ engine on the TCL. I was going to try the Nvidia shield tube since it has AI upscaling also, but to be honest, with You Tube TV, the Roku app built into the TV has the most amazing colors and sharpness, I just decided to stick with it unless I find a Android box with dedicated Guide and DVR/Library buttons for it. And I must have ethernet. I do not want to use wireless to watch 4K.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
I called them up and they couldn't pick it up
When I replaced my Vizio M65-E0 with this TCL 75", it was to big for my bedroom wall, so I bought the Vizio OLED, and gave the 65" Vizio to a friend who only makes minimum wage and couldnt afford to buy a big TV. I just didnt want to mess with ebay or classifieds and have strangers in my house for $150

1061 - 1080 of 1218 Posts