AVS Forum banner

141 - 160 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
So this can be an end of the year thing? If my memory serves correct didn't the first 8 series come out in November-December? I would hope they put some kind of prototype out there for review so we can know if it's worth the wait. I have been waiting for so long and I dont buy televisions often, so I want to get this right. My next high dollar television purchase will be with me for a minimum of 5 years.
Read my post above. Insiders talking to the guy who started this thread claim May/June, but personally I think more like August.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Obviously the 8k panels will have drawbacks compared to more expensive 8k panels because of the price. Nobody is saying you have to get excited about them. The 75 inch 6 series last year was by far the best 75 inch tv for the money if you got one without defects.. I do agree that 8k upscaling hype is overblown and you're lucky to have the picture look the same as it would on their 4k line... 8k will really only be beneficial for pc gaming and the next set of consoles for years to come, besides the 8k youtube videos that will come out. If you have no interest in buying a top of the line gaming pc, or viewing special youtube videos in 8k, move on to a different brand and stop complaining..

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Yeah man, I almost feel like hes a plant making sure people stay in line! A little dissent is healthy once in a while.

I will try to make this positive once again! I truly wish TCL succeeds and eats Samsung's lunch... We shall see!
No dolby vision would cement Samsungs lunch if the other manufacturers would make it a BIG selling point.

Reactions: ChazzMatt

·
Registered
334 Posts
Read my post above. Insiders talking to the guy who started this thread claim May/June, but personally I think more like August.
How do you think the TCL will compare with the competition? Mainly Samsung I am guessing because I just dont see LG as a serious contender. I would imagine this is now a 3rd gen product while this being Samsung's first attempt. They are showing tiny LED's as well maybe the are using some of the same tech but I just dont see Samsung being as ambitious as TCL in specs such as dimming zones. will the TCL be a unique product or will they be similar?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
How do you think the TCL will compare with the competition? Mainly Samsung I am guessing because I just dont see LG as a serious contender. I would imagine this is now a 3rd gen product while this being Samsung's first attempt. They are showing tiny LED's as well maybe the are using some of the same tech but I just dont see Samsung being as ambitious as TCL in specs such as dimming zones. will the TCL be a unique product or will they be similar?
The same guy who started this thread with insider leaks says Samsung is using TCL manufactured displays for their mini-LED. TCL is a vertical integrated company and they sell components to other manufacturers who are technically rivals. Just like Sony and Vizio use LG OLED panels.

He mentioned this months ago before the OD ZERO stuff came out, but now it makes sense.

October 2020:
I told people about Samsung buying TCL panels on Thursday in the TCL 8 series forum. The panels will be the the same 2021 TCL panels used in their own tvs but Samsung will be upgrading all the hardware and price lol. The Q70 Q80 Q90 will all be mini led, the Q60 is still up in the air but if they do go Q60 it will be the same mini led in the 2021 6 series TCL. This information was given to me Thursday, just sharing it.
TCL 8-Series will be OD ZERO but TCL 6-Series will not be OD ZERO. So, that's why he mentioned Q60 may be lower spec. Again, this was all before CES.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The same guy who started this thread with insider leaks says Samsung is using TCL manufactured displays for their mini-LED. TCL is a vertical integrated company and they sell components to other manufacturers who are technically rivals. Just like Sony and Vizio use LG OLED panels.

He mentioned this months ago before the OD ZERO stuff came out, but now it makes sense.
That's what I was thinking. I wonder if its just the lighting panel or a combination of the lighting and LCD panel. If TCL ups their software game they can be a pretty serious contender in the mainstream. Also I would love for Sony to jump on the bandwagon.

I wonder if this is TCL's strategy to be more of a panel supplier than a tv seller. If Samsung is acquiring all of these panels I can see the TCL televisions being more of a limited run with lower supply because they need to feed Samsung and others. It may be hard to actually get a TCL branded television.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
That's what I was thinking. I wonder if its just the lighting panel or a combination of the lighting and LCD panel. If TCL ups their software game they can be a pretty serious contender in the mainstream. Also I would love for Sony to jump on the bandwagon.

I wonder if this is TCL's strategy to be more of a panel supplier than a tv seller. If Samsung is acquiring all of these panels I can see the TCL televisions being more of a limited run with lower supply because they need to feed Samsung and others. It may be hard to actually get a TCL branded television.
Yes, guaranteed sales to another manufacturer per contract will outweigh potential sales to consumers via Best Buy or other retail stores.

Earlier in thread and in another TCL thread, he also talked about TCL starting a new series higher than the 8-Series. Logic would say it will be a "9-Series" but no name has been chosen. It would be the new "Premium" brand and would include OD ZERO as well as other enhancements. Perhaps Vidrian + OD ZERO? He said if it doesn't launch by the end of this year, it would be next year. But it's in their plans.

Also note the 2nd XL 85" is labelled as R745, which is the start of a new 7-Series, positioned between 6-Series and 8-Series. But confusingly it won't have mini-LED? That's very strange and maybe that will change before being released. Because otherwise that sounds like a 5-Series, which is what Digital Trends' Caleb had speculated before the official announcement. A 4-Series, 5-Series and 8-Series 85"... But when announced it was 4-Series, (new) 7-Series, and "unknown" 85". However, insiders say that 3rd one will have mini-LED, OD ZERO and will be an 8-Series. It's just it won't be announced when the other 8-Series are announced; it will come towards end of the year.

·
Registered
624 Posts
@randy1911 was nice enough to leak this information before CES. He had leaked other information months ago and every time it's been correct.
I don't know how true it is but everything I was told came true so far. If you look at my earlier post prior to today everything was true so I'm not going to doubt it now.
From a month ago on the 8 Series thread (post 2255)
My sources are saying announced at CES and available by the 31st of Jan.
To be clear, I am most appreciative of the information that randy1911 has been sharing; it has been most helpful to me in trying to make my own, imminent purchasing decision. However, unless something drastic is announced very, very soon, we may want to tap the brakes a little on viewing 100% of the leaked information as completely true. Much of it has been, to be sure, but as with all rumors, some of it is already unlikely to pan out (especially if release date is one of the top considerations, which, for me, it is).

·
Registered
1,173 Posts

To be clear, I am most appreciative of the information that randy1911 has been sharing; it has been most helpful to me in trying to make my own, imminent purchasing decision. However, unless something drastic is announced very, very soon, we may want to tap the brakes a little on viewing 100% of the leaked information as completely true. Much of it has been, to be sure, but as with all rumors, some of it is already unlikely to pan out (especially if release date is one of the top considerations, which, for me, it is).
One minor detail changed. Announced at CES as predicted, and instead of available end of January, they're saying by end of 1st quarter. It still could be available end of January, but looks like TCL is just giving themselves more leeway.

Nothing is etched in stone. But the roadmap still is accurate.

Same with the "May/June" 8-Series with OD ZERO. In my mind, I'm thinking "August." ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #150

Well I share what I'm given and it's been 95 percent spot on going back over a year, now it's electronics industry it will never be 100 percent accurate, there is always other variables in play, from delays and other happenings. The first of the 2021 tvs will release late Jan/Feb, which model is releasing first I don't know but I do know it's not the xl collection. I will continue to share what I get, it's up to you to believe it or not. I do not get a reward or a money for leaking info, I'm just trying to help people make an informed decision with their purchases.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
the 85 inch 8 series 8k launching at $3300 has me pumped!! It can be $2000 on black friday...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are you referring to the upcoming 85" top-of-the-line set that has thousands of mini LEDs in that patented OD ZERO backlight configuration developed by TCL ?

If so, where did you find out that its msrp will be $3.300 considering that TCL has yet to put out such info ?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Are you referring to the upcoming 85" top-of-the-line set that has thousands of mini LEDs in that patented OD ZERO backlight configuration developed by TCL ?

If so, where did you find out that its msrp will be $3,300 considering that TCL has yet to put out such info ?
In this thread from the guy who is leaking inside information -- including the OD ZERO to begin with...

OK now I can't release some info insiders info brought to me, I don't know how true it is but everything I was told came true so far. If you look at my earlier post prior to today everything was true so I'm not going to doubt it now.

The xl collection and pricing
4 series 85" under 1600.00 dollars release date late March
5 series 85" under 2000.00 dollars release date late April/May
8 series 85" under 3300.00 dollars release date late May/June
(US market series equivalent)
I do not know the exact pricing but all the information is tentative.

The 6 series 8k is going to be 55, 65, 75 inch. Pricing starting at around 999.99 dollars maxing out at under 2000 dollars.

TCL has another super high end tv that will launch 4qtr 2021 the info is super tight on it but it's ultra high end and has all the tech announcements from today plus much more.
The ultra high end is not the 8 series, the 8 series is the third version of the xl collection. The 8k 8 series is will be the top TV until late 4qtr. The 8 series is TCL official flagship, know as od zero overseas. The 8 series is 8k only. There is no more 4k 8 series it was shelved.

Knowing TCL it might not even launch that super high end unannounced TV in a America in 2021 but it will be announced somewhere in 2021. The super high end TV has nothing to do with today's announcements. It's unannounced.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If so, where did you find out that its msrp will be $3.300 considering that TCL has yet to put out such info ?
This is the most current info I have: TCL is shooting for a sub 3500 price point in the 3199-3499 price range for the top of the line 8k 85 inch TV. It will launch closer to end of 2nd quarter, early 3rd quarter at the latest, it won't be 2k around black Friday and it will be the most expensive launch in America so far for TCL. It will be their flagship and it will dictate what TCL does in the future, can they go up market or not. It will be priced under the halfway price point of Samsung premium 85 8k tvs.

TCL wants to be an industry leader in price and features. The price will not drop very much due to margins on the TV and expected demand. If they don't sell, America will not get the unannounced model at the end of 4th quarter. The 8k 85 maybe a bestbuy exclusive that's still being worked out. The three XL collection tvs are, in America are 4 series, 5 series in US/7 series in UK but that's still being worked out, the issue is the 7 series is numerically above the 6 series but the 7 series xl collection is not 8k and the 6 series in US is 8k, so there is the crux of the issue.

The 2nd xl collection tv is more like the 2020 6 series without 8k. The 8k 85 inch TV will be an 8 series TV. 8 series as of now will only come in 75 and 85 inch models and maybe 65 inch but that's not confirmed and will be monitored by 65 inch sales. The 2nd and 3rd xl collection models will launch within 60 days of each other but the 4 series xl collection should launch closer to the end of 1st quarter beginning of 2nd quarter.

All of my information can move 30 to 45 days in either direction as logistics, semiconductor production and Corona virus plays a big role. I do not work for TCL and I am buying a 85inch 8k xl collection tv, putting my pennies away now. TCL has the opportunity to overtake Samsung and be a dominant force in the TV game across the globe with hisense trying to establish a dominant place in the top 3. The 8k 6 series will come in 55, 65 and 75 inch models.

The unannounced TV will be industry shattering but it will cost above 3500 and be better than current oled. There you go, you now know everything I know.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
This is the most current info I have: TCL is shooting for a sub 3500 price point in the 3199-3499 price range for the top of the line 8k 85 inch TV. It will launch closer to end of 2nd quarter, early 3rd quarter at the latest, it won't be 2k around black Friday and it will be the most expensive launch in America so far for TCL. It will be their flagship and it will dictate what TCL does in the future, can they go up market or not. It will be priced under the halfway price point of Samsung premium 85 8k tvs.

TCL wants to be an industry leader in price and features. The price will not drop very much due to margins on the TV and expected demand. If they don't sell, America will not get the unannounced model at the end of 4th quarter. The 8k 85 maybe a bestbuy exclusive that's still being worked out. The three XL collection tvs are, in America are 4 series, 5 series in US/7 series in UK but that's still being worked out, the issue is the 7 series is numerically above the 6 series but the 7 series xl collection is not 8k and the 6 series in US is 8k, so there is the crux of the issue.

The 2nd xl collection tv is more like the 2020 6 series without 8k. The 8k 85 inch TV will be an 8 series TV. 8 series as of now will only come in 75 and 85 inch models and maybe 65 inch but that's not confirmed and will be monitored by 65 inch sales. The 2nd and 3rd xl collection models will launch within 60 days of each other but the 4 series xl collection should launch closer to the end of 1st quarter beginning of 2nd quarter.

All of my information can move 30 to 45 days in either direction as logistics, semiconductor production and Corona virus plays a big role. I do not work for TCL and I am buying a 85inch 8k xl collection tv, putting my pennies away now. TCL has the opportunity to overtake Samsung and be a dominant force in the TV game across the globe with hisense trying to establish a dominant place in the top 3. The 8k 6 series will come in 55, 65 and 75 inch models.

The unannounced TV will be industry shattering but it will cost above 3500 and be better than current oled. There you go, you now know everything I know.
Thank you!

And I want the 85" 8K Series 8 also, but may have to settle for the 75" version due to space. Hopefully I'll able to squeeze it in...

Yes, I agree the 2nd 85" XL (NOT 8K) should be 5-Series. Also that 85" doesn't have miniLED. How could they try to place it between the 6-Series and 8-Series, as a 7-Series? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’m excited for these releases, but might not have the budget for the OD Zero at launch. Any recommendations on purchasing the current 75” 4K 8 series vs the 2021 75” 8K 6 series....assuming pricing is similar?

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Does TCL realize the world is in the middle of a large pandemic? I know everyone is stuck in the house, but I would think those that could afford the money, upgraded last year. I hope they are successful, but TV's costing over $2K just seem like a stretch until more people get back to work. Unless of course, they use their Stimulus checks :eek:

·
Registered
536 Posts
OK now I can't release some info insiders info brought to me, I don't know how true it is but everything I was told came true so far. If you look at my earlier post prior to today everything was true so I'm not going to doubt it now.

The xl collection and pricing
4 series 85" under 1600.00 dollars release date late March
5 series 85" under 2000.00 dollars release date late April/May
8 series 85" under 3300.00 dollars release date late May/June
(US market series equivalent)
I do not know the exact pricing but all the information is tentative.

The 6 series 8k is going to be 55, 65, 75 inch. Pricing starting at around 999.99 dollars maxing out at under 2000 dollars.

TCL has another super high end tv that will launch 4qtr 2021 the info is super tight on it but it's ultra high end and has all the tech announcements from today plus much more.
I’m probably in the minority here, but I’m really excited to have a 55” 8K TV as a monitor for 999!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Are all the TCL 85" TV's going to have the stand legs at each end of the tv set? Mine is going on a stand and I won't have the width if the legs are as wide as possible. I believe all the XL sets will but I didn't see pictures for the 6 and 8 series 85" tv.

141 - 160 of 272 Posts