AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 4533 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
LG is announcing its latest series of OLED TVs. For 2022, the company is adding new screen sizes both big (97 inches) and small (42 inches), ratcheting up the brightness (again) on the G series, and bringing some additional features — like multiuser profiles — to the webOS software that runs on its TVs. Now on the fifth generation of its A9 processor, LG says 2022 TVs will include better 4K upscaling, improved tone mapping, and a greater sense of depth through foreground object enhancement.

As for the TVs themselves, after debuting its higher-brightness OLED “Evo” panel on the G1 in 2021, this year Evo will be featured in both the G2 and more mainstream C2. LG says the G2 will deliver higher peak brightness numbers than the C2 through a combination of brightness booster algorithms and better heat dissipation from the TV’s components.

But the C2 should still outperform something like the CX from two years ago.For both the G2 and C2, LG says it’s using a new composite fiber material in their construction that makes these TVs significantly lighter; for example, the 65-inch C2 is nearly half the weight of the C1. That should result in a less stressful unboxing and mounting experience for these very thin, fragile displays.

Ahead of CES, LG lined up the new G2 side by side with the C1 to show off the brightness gains. A more helpful comparison to demonstrate year-over-year improvements would’ve been putting it against the G1’s Evo display, LG is also adding new screen sizes at both extremes. The C series is getting a new 42-inch OLED that the company thinks will be a perfect fit for small bedrooms, offices, or gamers in tight spaces. (Previously, the smallest LG OLED was 48 inches.) And there’s an enormous 97-inch 4K model that’s joining the G series. LG has offered 83-inch 4K and 88-inch 8K TVs in the past, but there’s a new giant OLED in town.

As usual, every HDMI port on both the G and C series will offer full HDMI 2.1 capabilities — and this time LG really means it. Whereas the company’s TVs have been limited to about 40Gbps of HDMI bandwidth in recent years, for 2022 it’s using the whole 48Gbps pipeline. You’ll also still be getting the usual 120Hz 4K gaming, variable refresh rate, auto low latency mode, and so on. It’s worth noting that LG is already being surpassed in a few of these areas, however; some of Samsung’s just-announced 2022 TVs support VRR up to 144Hz for PC gamers.

That doesn’t mean LG isn’t making its own improvements for gamers. The game dashboard will put more information at the top layer so you’ll avoid extra clicks and can adjust key settings without jumping into the full game optimizer menu. There’s also a new fifth preset for sports games and a dark room gaming mode in picture settings. In recent months, LG has rolled out support for GeForce Now and Google Stadia cloud gaming services.

The lower-tier A series will also remain part of LG’s OLED family in 2022, though it’s primarily intended for movie and TV watching since it lacks HDMI 2.1 and gaming-centric features.

LG G2 OLED: available in 97-, 83-. 77-, 65-, and 55-inch sizes
LG C2 OLED: available in 83-, 77-, 65-, 55, 48-, and 42-inch sizes

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
I've ordered the LG C2 in 42 inch as pc monitor for my new gaming setup. Going to be delivered early march, according to them. LG C2
Where did you pre-order them? My 2016 Dell OLED is showing its age is needs to replace it. (And I don't want a widescreen monitor. but i would take the 4k 32-ish, gsync QD-OLED over an LG TV IF i had that choice. which i don't.)

edit: ah.. link there in your post :)

Even IF there might be some IR issues over time using a TV as a monitor - The LG 42" C2 is so cheap compared to a monitor is would still be worth it. (I'm not worry about IR being an issue anyway.) The only thing i worry a bit about is the size. 42" is a weee bit big for me. (48" WAS to big) - not for my desk, but there would be too much head moving for some type of games. RTS, strategy, etc.
That said, i hardly play games at my desk anyone. Sofa + dog + surround sound almost always wins. (unless it is FPS. I can't hit anything with a controller in first person shooters.)

The bonus for LG is I can use all the calibration software, hardware (Calman software, PD C6 HR200 Meter, PD VideoForge Pro, etc..) that i already have.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where did you pre-order them? My 2016 Dell OLED is showing its age is need to replace it. (and I don't want a widescreen monitor.. but i would take the 4k 32-ish, gsync QD-OLED over an LG TV IF i had that choice.. which i don't.)
I've called them (local shop). It will get released in the same month as the 48 inch.

·
Registered
459 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
The C1 and G1 isn't the same. They where using different panels and also the brightness luminance on the G1 is higher. For your knowing; before the A80 and A90 got released, the models before had separate threads as well. That had nothing to do with the heatsink.
Did you even read my post at all? I mentioned the Sony’s had different threads before and why that was the case, just like the C and B series had different threads because they had different processors. Many C1s had the same panel as the G1, it was just firmware locked for consistency (which could be unlocked some in the service menu) and the difference wasn’t that much, whereas now they do have a hardware difference that isn’t just a software toggle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Forget the whole C2 vs G2 separation talk. Why is there an owner's thread for a television no one owns yet?
I guess that it's better than having an anticipation thread and then having an Owner's Thread once the TV drops. The whole concept of having an Owner's Thread vs a general thread for items like this has kind of lost it's usefulness over the years.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Forget the whole C2 vs G2 separation talk. Why is there an owner's thread for a television no one owns yet?
Just ordering alone is enough to considering yourself an owner (if you've paid for it) and when it's possible to order (which it is in the UK). Some C2 models will get released within 4 weeks, so that's pretty soon (non EX-panels).

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
I guess that it's better than having an anticipation thread and then having an Owner's Thread once the TV drops. The whole concept of having an Owner's Thread vs a general thread for items like this has kind of lost it's usefulness over the years.
Just ordering alone is enough to considering yourself an owner (if you've paid for it) and when it's possible to order (which it is in the UK). The C2 will gets released within 4 weeks, so that's pretty soon.
Understood.

I was all excited when I saw the owners thread thinking someone got their hands on one.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I own one of each. LG's way of setting up its Input screen are user hostile, just totally suck.

After seeing the sheer awfulness of it, if there were a 48" Sony a80j equivalent (and not the two year old model currently available) I would have returned the LG to Costco in a heartbeat.

Every time I have to deal with changing sources on the LG, I hate it just that little bit more. It has a fine picture, but the experience is marred by the sheer stupidity of the Input screen design.
On my C8 changing the input is 2 clicks. You have a different definition of hostile it seems.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Every time I have to deal with changing sources on the LG, I hate it just that little bit more. It has a fine picture, but the experience is marred by the sheer stupidity of the Input screen design.
I'll have to look at that the next time I'm at my friend's who has a recent LG.

The A80J's input screen is fine, but that didn't stop me from adding discrete inputs to my Sony RM-VL610 universal remote. Besides all the HDMIs, I've got buttons for several apps, including Kodi. This is possible thanks to Sony's extensive IP control protocols. Maybe LG does something similar, and if it still uses an IR remote, most at least provide discrete codes that can be used with JP1 remotes and Logitech Harmony (RIP).

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
They have essentially confirmed to to Vincent already. When talking about the C2, LG Electronics' press release says "This OLED TV series features thinner bezels for a more immersive viewing experience in addition to giving the TV a sleeker design." The EX version of the EVO panel is what allows for the thinner bezel compared to last year's version.

Take a look at this video (beginning at 8:43) for Vincent's "100% guarantee that the LG C2 and G2 will be equipped with OLED EX panels"

It may be physically/chemically different and even an improvement in terms of production efficiency, but if in the most accurate picture mode, there are no differences between the G1 and C2, then it really doesn't matter if it's EX or EVO or whatever. Not saying they are the same, but it wouldn't surprise me if the picture quality differences are nothing more than what are essentially panel variances (< 80 nits peak luminance between panels, DSE, etc.) once both TVs are calibrated.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
It may be physically/chemically different and even an improvement in terms of production efficiency, but if in the most accurate picture mode, there are no differences between the G1 and C2, then it really doesn't matter if it's EX or EVO or whatever. Not saying they are the same, but it wouldn't surprise me if the picture quality differences are nothing more than what are essentially panel variances (< 80 nits peak luminance between panels, DSE, etc.) once both TVs are calibrated.
If what LG Display is claiming is accurate, I don't think that I agree with that. According to LG Display (as explained by Vincent), the difference between last year's "EVO" panel and this year's "EX" panel is basically the removal of some sensing lines in the panel that used to be needed as an anti burn-in measure. The elimination of these sensing lines allows for higher pixel aperture ratio, as well as smaller bezels. The increased pixel aperture ratio allows pixels to be brigher than they previously were. With a higher pixel aperture ratio, I would argue that having the EX panels on the smaller TV's would be more advantageous than they will be on the larger panels because it's the 42" and 48" models that already suffer from brightness limitations due to having smaller pixels in the first place.

LG Display appears to be claiming an additional 10% increase in brightness (over WBC panels) compared with last year's EVO panels (30% increase vs 20% increase).

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
If what LG Display is claiming is accurate, I don't think that I agree with that. According to LG Display (as explained by Vincent), the difference between last year's "EVO" panel and this year's "EX" panel is basically the removal of some sensing lines in the panel that used to be needed as an anti burn-in measure. The elimination of these sensing lines allows for higher pixel aperture ratio, as well as smaller bezels. The increased pixel aperture ratio allows pixels to be brigher than they previously were. With a higher pixel aperture ratio, I would argue that having the EX panels on the smaller TV's would be more advantageous than they will be on the larger panels because it's the 42" and 48" models that already suffer from brightness limitations due to having smaller pixels in the first place.

LG Display appears to be claiming an additional 10% increase in brightness (over WBC panels) compared with last year's EVO panels (30% increase vs 20% increase).
I hope to be proven wrong because I'm definitely in the market for the G2, and looking forward to all the shootouts vs the A90J this year. It just appears that the Panasonic JZ2000 and HZ2000 have been the brightest, but above 900 nits much color is lost (also with the A90J) so if the G2 is able to push itself as bright or brighter than the JZ/HZ2000, wouldn't color volume be capped anyway? Maybe APL will be higher without ABL kicking in (especially relevant for HDR gaming!), which would be a huge benefit in brighter rooms like mine but I doubt peak brightness in movie mode will exceed Panasonic (same color volume limits apply)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would be interested in seeing any documentation than backs this statement up. Everything that I've seen implies the opposite.

From LG's CES press release.
LG’s 2022 G2 series introduces a new 83-inch model and the world’s first 97-inch OLED model to complement the 55-, 65- and 77-inch TVs already in the lineup. The LG G2 series delivers a refined design with its attractive flush-to-the-wall Gallery Design. LG’s C2 series offers the most diverse selection of screen sizes with a total of six for 2022: world’s first 42-inch OLED TV, ideal for console and PC gaming, in addition to 48, 55, 65, 77, 83 inches. This OLED TV series features thinner bezels for a more immersive viewing experience in addition to giving the TV a sleeker design.

All sizes are getting the smaller bezel. The difference in brightness of the 42" and 48" have nothing to do with a different panel. They are not as bright because due to their smaller size, the smaller pixel size and tighter pixel density on these TV's will limit the bright ness.
Display specifications (almost) never gets it wrong.

The Philips 807 48 inch OLED is listed without EX-panel. Other models are.

LG buys their displays from LG Display, which sells them as well to other brands.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Since when did this become a thread about Phillips? What does that have to do with what LG Electronics is doing? LG display has more than one panel factory. Do you really think that they aren't making the same size panels in both factories.

You're making a big assumption based on absolutely no evidence that supports it.
No you're making big assumptions absolutely based on no evidence. How do you actually come up with that nonsense, when their are 2 sources already stating the same thing; while you on the other hand provided nothing. Secondly LG doesn't make their own panels.

They buy them like any other manufacturer from LG display. Which is a separate company on its own. Thirdly, you don't seems to get it. If other brands can't get their 48 OLED's with the so called EX-panel how do you actually think LG themselves could.

LG display doesn't give LG electronics a special treatment. They are a panel manufacturer who tries to sell their panels to whoever wants to buy from them.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LG Display has 2 panel factories. One is currently making EX panels. The other is supposed to be making them by Q2. Last year's C1's came with one of two different panels. All 77's and 83's came with WBE panels. Smaller sizes were a mix WBC and WBE panels. Last year's G1's all came with Evo (WBE) Panels. Last year's Sony's all came with WBE panels.

What makes you assume that just because Phillps hasn't claimed that they are using EX panels in their 48" TV's that 48" EX panels dont' exist? LG display cuts 48" panels out of the same piece of glass that they cut 83" panels from (two 83" panels and two 48" panels from the same sheet of mother glass). Do you really think that they cut an EX panel and and non-EX panel from the same sheet of mother glass?
This has nothing to do with the amount of factories LG display has or uses. Two sources already have stated that the 48 Philips OLED will not come with EX. Philips doesn't decide what kind of attributes those panels should have. Neither does LG electronics. They just buy them in. What makes you assume that those sources are wrong. Based on what?

Last year LG electronics never promoted their C1 with an EVO panel, yet some C1 do have it. LG electronics never have said which models of the C2 will get EX. They only have said the C2 will come with it. That statement would still be correct, if they just added EX to the 55 inch exclusively (for example). Since the 55 is still a C2. The point is, what makes you so sure (since you still didn't provided a source that backs your opinion), that it would. Zero sources till now.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
This has nothing to do with the amount of factories LG display has or uses. Two sources already have stated that the 48 Philips OLED will not come with EX. Philips doesn't decide what kind of attributes those panels should have. Neither does LG electronics. They just buy them in. What makes you assume that those sources are wrong. Based on what?

Last year LG electronics never promoted their C1 with an EVO panel, yet some C1 do have it. LG electronics never have said which models of the C2 will get EX. They only have said the C2 will come with it. That statement would still be correct, if they just added EX to the 55 inch exclusively (for example). Since the 55 is still a C2. The point is, what makes you so sure (since you still didn't provided a source that backs your opinion), that it would. Zero sources till now.
Of course I provided sources. I provided the LG Electronics press release saying that the C2 series features "thinner bezels for a more immersive viewing experience in addition to giving the TV a sleeker design." The EX panel is a pre-requisite for the thinner bezel design.

I also provided a link to Vincent Teoh's video where his LG source assured him that the LG C2 and G2 would be using the "most advanced panel from LG Display".

As you've written above, LG Electronics did not promote the C1 as having an EVO panel because not all C1's had that panel. Now you want to us make the assumption that LG is promoting the C2 as having a thinner bezel even if only some of the sizes have a thinner bezel. Using your convoluted logic, LG could have promoted the C1 as having the EVO panel. But they didn't.

Just because Phillips isn't claiming that they are putting a EX panel into their 48" models doesn't mean that a 48" EX panel doesn't exist. It just means that Phillips can't guarantee that it will be in all of the 48" OLED's made by Phillips (just like LG couldn't claim that all C1's would have an EVO panel, when WBE panels clearly existed for all sizes, given then fact that they were in G1's, A80J's and A90J's). Phillips doesn't "just buy" panels without knowing what they are going to receive. If they are getting "regular" 48" WBE panels from LG Display until the second factory gets fully cut over to solely making EX panels, they wouldn't say that the 48" Phillips has an EX panel.

If my choices are to believe Vincent Teoh and his sources or go with your assumptions about what LG Electronics is doing based on a chart issued by Phillips, I'm going with VIncent.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Of course I provided sources. I provided the LG Electronics press release saying that the C2 series features "thinner bezels for a more immersive viewing experience in addition to giving the TV a sleeker design." The EX panel is a pre-requisite for the thinner bezel design.

I also provided a link to Vincent Teoh's video where his LG source assured him that the LG C2 and G2 would be using the "most advanced panel from LG Display".

As you've written above, LG Electronics did not promote the C1 as having an EVO panel because not all C1's had that panel. Now you want to us make the assumption that LG is promoting the C2 as having a thinner bezel even if only some of the sizes have a thinner bezel. Using your convoluted logic, LG could have promoted the C1 as having the EVO panel. But they didn't.

Just because Phillips isn't claiming that they are putting a EX panel into their 48" models doesn't mean that a 48" EX panel doesn't exist. It just means that Phillips can't guarantee that it will be in all of the 48" OLED's made by Phillips (just like LG couldn't claim that all C1's would have an EVO panel, when WBE panels clearly existed for all sizes, given then fact that they were in G1's, A80J's and A90J's). Phillips doesn't "just buy" panels without knowing what they are going to receive. If they are getting "regular" 48" WBE panels from LG Display until the second factory gets fully cut over to solely making EX panels, they wouldn't say that the 48" Phillips has an EX panel.

If my choices are to believe Vincent Teoh and his sources or go with your assumptions about what LG Electronics is doing based on a chart issued by Phillips, I'm going with VIncent.
You didn't read my post, since the things you're mentioning was specifically addressed. LG electronics has said the C2 will have the EX-panel. Without addressing which sizes will get them. Same goes for the fact that LG electronics didn't spoke about Evo last year, but yet some C1 has it. What LG electronic has said is an general statement, nothing more. You don't seems to get it don't you.

Also just judging from the C2 42 inch pictures, those bezels are definitely not the same, comparatively to the 65. You're conclusions about Philips is also wrong. Do you work for Philips or are you part of their board? What kind of guarantees could a TV manufacture give when they don't produce their own panels. They have no saying in it. They only decide if they want to have them (panels) or not.

You also don't seems to understand the point that has been made. Which are no assumptions, since the sources are openly visible (only in your own head your feeding yourself with that nonsense). I'm basing my opinion on two separate sources. And I trust those sources more then Vincent who'd have shown in the past on being wrongly informed on certain subjects. Also if you've followed Vincent carefully, he only said that the C2 will get the EX-panel. But he never have said that all C2 models will have them. Anyway no point in going further on this subject. You'd probably will see in a couple of weeks how wrong you are.

1 - 20 of 4533 Posts