AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
77" G2, 42" LG C2, Onkyo NR7100, 5.1.2 Infinity Primus + Bic PL200
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2022 models have the "Gen 5" processors. Currently only the QNED 85 has released. Dont sleep on it, its actually nice for an upper mid tier option. Has the least amount of blooming in gaming than any other local dimming LCD Ive tested as you get full LD performance in gaming. Even with VRR/HDR/DV/120Hz, LD works the same as movie mode.

Input lag is 17ms at 60hz, 9ms at 120hz (rounded up on the Murideo Seven). 120Hz DV VRR all works at the same time, though I dont recommend DV gaming on it as it has very raised EOTF in DV gaming like the LG OLEDs.
Interestingly, HGiG also lifts EOTF while DTM on does not and looks closest to my G2 with HGiG on.

180 zones in the 65" model, nearly 1200 nits 10% window and 550nits full field. SDR gets up to 930nits 10% window, 450 nits full field.

The QNED 90 last year had a lot more zones but issues off angle. The QNED 85 looks great off angle up to around 45-50 degrees. Didnt really look any further than that. It uses the same ADS panel as Samsung uses. It is essentially similar to the QN85B but with WebOS instead of Tizen, and non of the downsides Samsung has in game mode, or LD bug and color gamut issues. Less blooming than the LCD lineup from Sony.
BT2020 coverage is about 75%, with full P3 coverage.
Its main downsides are accuracy issues OOTB, and having to adjust settings a bit to get it decent. I'll update soon with recommended settings.

QNED 90 / 99 2022 updates are supposed to be coming in September, maybe August. I figured add them to the thread as not many people get the LG QNEDs due to misconceptions about them. Plus the models should be fairly similar. The 90 should bump up the zones and brightness a bit, and the 99 bumps to 8K and maybe another small increase in brightness. We will see.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I've only seen negative reviews on lg non oled tvs. And that's due to poor contrast, black levels. And it's often not recommended for any purposes. Especially dark room with dark scenes.

Is it still the same these days?

·
Registered
805 Posts
I've only seen negative reviews on lg non oled tvs. And that's due to poor contrast, black levels. And it's often not recommended for any purposes. Especially dark room with dark scenes.

Is it still the same these days?
LG has improved quite a bit over the past couple of years with their LED TVs, the blooming isn't as horrendous as before and even the contrast has improved a little bit despite the continuous use of IPS panels (reason LG do this is because they're cheaper to make and most average consumers actually could care less about black levels compared to the more picky niche crowd of enthusiasts). Nowadays it's for the most part only their entry-level TVs that are trash, the QNED Mini-LEDs are actually quite good TVs for what they are.

Reactions: varaonaid

·
Registered
LG OLED C1, LG QNED916
1,263 Posts
I've only seen negative reviews on lg non oled tvs. And that's due to poor contrast, black levels.
It is not so simple. Contrast and black level are good actually but inconsistent. In most scenes contrast is great and black is very deep even in dark room. But in some scenes tv struggles to control blooming or works weird. But you can see it only in dark environment.

Black bars control is very good. Better that Sony Lcds.

But in daylight and with some ambient light tv really shines. That is the best scenario for qned. Picture quality is awesome with good motion, colors. There is no any PWM flicker at all. It's absolutely flicker free.

So my verdict is if you need tv for bright room or with some ambient light qned is great option.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I figured that bad reputation came mostly from their older and cheaper stuff like the Nano series and long predated the QNEDs.

I was interested in the 2021 90 but it's gone now. Was hoping the 2022 would be available shortly but if the 85 is this good that's promising - I like the QN85B in theory but not Samsung.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Can anyone mention the main differences between QN85 and QN90 ? The processor is the same ?
QNED90 just has more local dimming zones than QNED85, that's about all I know with the differences for now until the new 2022 QNED90 becomes available at retailers.

·
Registered
77" G2, 42" LG C2, Onkyo NR7100, 5.1.2 Infinity Primus + Bic PL200
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What's the "hybrid" stand position like? The LG site indicates that it can be 20" wide but has no pictures of how it works.
You can set the feet in the wide position or more towards the middle for a smaller stand. It's the same feet, just two sets of mounting holes on the back of the TV.

1 - 20 of 209 Posts