AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the 20HD for a little less than a year now and we've put 750 hours on it. I have a HTPC hooked up to the DVI input for watching DVDs and a Sony HD200 receiever hooked up to the BNC inputs for watching OTA HD broadcasts. We watch this on a GreyHawk screen.

The combination has been really great, especially with HD content. But within the last couple of weeks the picture has gotten brighter, too bright really. Scenes with light colors, including fleshtones get overexposed and don't look right. Even my dust blobs are harder to see since with no picture the display isn't as black as it used to be. It looks more gray.

This over-brightness happens regardless of the video source and I've had to lower the brightness a bunch otherwise the picture is not watchable.

Any ideas what is going on? Is this a sign that I need to replace the bulb?

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
That is really odd. Sounds like a power supply or lamp ballast problem of some sort, lamp should never get brighter.

I'd call SE and ask them about that before I used it much more.

BB

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
It sounds like it has gotten brighter for all colors and not just one. If it were one color then it would likely be one of the panels, but BB is probably right about something with the overall light.

I assume that you haven't removed any bias lighting or anything that would have given you the illusion of darker black levels.

--Darin

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, the entire display looks brighter. We always watch in a completely dark room so the lighting hasn't changed.

I called SE and they've never of heard of this either. I'm going to have to send it to them and have them take a look.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Solarization is apparently what I'm seeing.

After a week without the projector, the SE folks couldn't see problems with it at their service center. Since I'm local, they invited me to come and look at it with them. I couldn't see it there either, but of course the moment I got it home I could see it.

This is very frustrating. I'm not interested in sending my projector back to SE and have them not see it again.

I know it sounds crazy, but the projector used to have richer darker blacks and now I can see pixelation around bright spots in scenes. In fact some scenes are now so bright that I have to look away. I've had to lower the brightness a bunch just to make the projector usable.

I'm trying to understand two things:

1. Why can I see the problem here but not at SE.

* Over there they had a DVD player hooked up to the component inputs. Here I use the DVI input which is hooked up to a HTPC that plays DVDs. I also have the BNC inputs hooked up to a HDTV satellite receiver. I can see solarization on both sources, though it is much more obvious on the DVDs from the HTPC.

* I'm using a greyhawk 100" screen. I don't know what kind of screen they had, but the image was very small on the screen. I tried to ask if the size of the screen made a difference. They claimed it didn't.

2. What causes solarization? Is it possible for it to show up after some use?

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
And you have calibrated settings that are different for all 3 sources?

That seems to be the only thing left. When they use the component inputs, they are usnig a different set of values on the adjustments than you, and the 2 you use need to be calibrated. The settings do not go across inputs, they are stored in different places for all 3. Maybe you lamp faded or changed its output spectrum in some other way to a point where you needed to recalibrate.

Otherwise, don't know.

BB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.