Runco RS1100 - VERY nice and on the shor tlist

Marantz VP11S1

Wouldnt mind seeing

Projection Design - Action 3 [in the budget?]

Any other reccomendations?

·
Registered
685 Posts
You will need to increase your budget if you want a screen as well. But you can get a pretty good projector for $20K.

The ProjectionDesign Action! Model Three 1080 with Crystalio II [VPS 3800] is in your budget. You must check it out.

- High grade cinema lenses [6 options] - go for the zoom lens.

- True optical contrast. No dynamic iris. 7500:1 is the claimed figure.

- Check out the review on the projector. It is on the PD official website by Home Cinema Choice UK. It's got their highest rating.

- DuArch architecture. Dual lamps, individually controlled and user replaceable. How swap option is also available! 2500 lumens is the claimed figure. Can easily project screens of 12' wide cinemascope with a brilliant picture.

- PD's RealColor management suite is present as well for brilliant color reproductions. There's a special mention of green and blue in the brochure which shows how much measures these guys have taken into producing this unit.

- Two 7 segment color wheels. 5 speed. I personally feel that one can't pick out rainbows on expensive single chip DLP projectors easily and this one has two wheels.

- The world's best video processor in CII. That user interface is something special!! Download the user manual to get a taste of it.
Oh and choose the bigger 3800 rather than the 3300.

- It may be a single chip but the things it has and the architecture it has is that of a two chip DLP so to speak. It's definitely more than a 1 chip DLP per se.

- Horizontal Lens Shift: 90% -- Vertical Lens Shift: 105%

All this is in your budget. The RS-1100 Ultra with CineWide and AutoScope will

set you back $30K and that has an in-built scaler.

The PD units are high performance projectors designed to run 24/7!

Take a look at the Marantz unit as well but that unit will not project a large image. If image size is not a concern then it is well worth looking at.

·
Registered
64 Posts
That's a question we're trying to understand after CES. What is the better projector with that punchy wow! factor between the Marantz (which came out almost a year ago, I think) and the new JVC which is almost $15k less. Is the Marantz that much better? I'd like to see what people think?

·
Registered
64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn /forum/post/0

I think you will see that the Marantz is perhaps the sharpest projection device made but with only about 30% of the sequential contrast of the JVC you have to decide what's important. Also if you are at all rainbow sensitive, don't blind buy a one chip DLP.

Art

I don't mean to hijack the thread (and perhaps Modena will find this helpfil) but can you explain what you mean by sequential contrast and whether I should care or not? I have heard of this before called like On/off or ANSI, but have no clue what it really means, etc.

Thanks,

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for the suggestions...

I am narrowing down the list to:

Runco RS1100

Marantz VP11S1

Projection Design Action 3

I need to see some more demo's now...

Incidently.. in Australia all of these projectors cost within a few grand of each other... where as in the USA the runco is only $12K - not sure what the PD sells for there?

·
Registered
685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alimentall /forum/post/0

Sim2, I think it's the 5000, looks gorgeous. 1080 DLP single chip.

The single chip 1080p from Sim2 is the HT3000. The three chip 1080p is the flagship HT5000 which is significantly larger in size as well.

The HT3000 does throw a pretty good picture.

Modena:

The Runco RS-1100 has two versions. One is the normal one and the other one is the ULTRA version with cinema grade lenses and a choice of 6 lenses to choose from. The MSRP I quoted was for the ULTRA model with CineWide and AutoScope. It is best that you demo these projectors and get a feel of them. Happy viewing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After very extensive auditioning I made a decision and purchased the Marantz VP11S1 - it just blew me away with its razor sharp beautifully accurate images.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Modena, this is all so subjective that its almost pointless and, apparently you already made your choice anyway, but I'll give you my 10 cents (biased as a guy that is NOT sensitive to rainbow issues):

I've seen just about all 1080p machines currently on the market, many of them with amazing virtues and certainly some down faults. I've owned three 1080p machines so far with prices up to 4x your budget (including a Barco HD-14 that I returned for several reasons that have no place on this particular thread).

The most overall accomplished, sharpest, brightest and all-round featured PJ, the one I have currently, is IMO the PD Cineo 1080p (just a step below the Action III 1080p).

Between your 3 selections (Runco RS1100/ Marantz VP11S1/ Projection Design Action 3) I can tell you without a doubt the PD is by very, very far, the better choice. This machine needs the Crystalio-II by the way to trully shine. Its a whole different ball game.

Since I got the Cineo, my HT life has never been the same.

Good luck with your Marantz. No doubt, also a fabulous machine.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn /forum/post/0

I think you will see that the Marantz is perhaps the sharpest projection device made but with only about 30% of the sequential contrast of the JVC you have to decide what's important. Also if you are at all rainbow sensitive, don't blind buy a one chip DLP.

Art

I 175% agree with this statement. The Marantz is the only choice in 1 chip dlp, I was dumfounded how great it was, it creamed every single runco vidikron 1 chipper at the EHX. What is scary is that the rs-1 is nearly as good, that's UnbeF*ck*ngLivable. Th rs-1 creamed a 30K dila offering from a very respected audio company that aquired a video processor company. Reasons for it: the source Hd DVD versus upscaled DVD and the contrast ratio of the Rs-1 takes the fuziness (that so many people called analog looking) out of the Dila image creating a very photorealistic image on DILA for the first time. The colors on both units being superb.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPigeon2006 /forum/post/0

Don't know much about stacking projectors, but I gotta imagine a stacked rs-1 would be hard to beat...I have no idea if it is possible though.

i might be able to answer your question tonight.

just got the RS-1 on Thursday to compare to my Pearl. i've been busy so i have only watched it for less than 1 hour so far without any tweaking (it's amazing).

tonight i have a few AVS folks coming over bringing a few other projectors to compare to the RS-1 and Pearl....including a 2nd RS-1 which we will attempt to 'stack' with mine.

i'm a bit clueless about the method we will use....but if it works it may be something very special.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.