AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20xx that was locked up and required me to unplug it to reset. Once it came up I had no current program guide (I hadn't turned it on in awhile) so I did a 243-zones and forced a net connect. Once that was done I had my program guide back but every channel I turned to just gave me a blank screen - no picture, no sound. I went into setup and reselected my cable provider and reconnected, but no go - still blank screens. I know the cable signal is good, the TV works fine and my other replay works fine. Unplugging the coax gives me the "no video signal detected" message, so it is getting a signal, but it doesn't seem to be processing it. Previously recorded programs play back fine. I tried going into setup and selecting antenna and then cable again, but nothing.

Do I have a bad tuner? Time to chuck it? Nothing I've seen in this forum makes me want to run out and get a 5000 series, I've been very happy with my 20xx and 30xx models. Suggestions?

-Dave

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
One quick test on the tuner... you have a VCR or other device that outputs on channel 3? Can you hook that up to the replay input and tune to channel 3? What happens?

The tuner could have gone bad, but that's really rare without any external force. And since cable is working with all you other devices I guess we should suspect there wasn't a lightning hit nearby that fried the tuner.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Tuning to black screen should be an encoding problem, possibly a minor software problem.

I would unplug the unit for 1 minute then boot it up again. If still no good perform a factory reset 243 zones (lose all shows and setup data). If still no good the motherboard is acting up. I may be able to help you with a replacement.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Davebert,

I had that problem a LONG time ago on my first 2020. I can't recall the exact fix, but that might have been the one where they had me go to 243 zones and delete the guide data, get out of the menu, warmboot (hold power for 5 seconds), go back and delete the guide data again (to delete the backup copy?), get out warmboot again, and then go in and set up all of my setup information again for my zip, phone, inputs, etc.

I can't recall, you did say you went into setup and made sure your inputs were still all set correctly right?

There was another time that I had to just go in and change the zip to something with a different cable system, let Replay dial home and get the information and then reset the Zip to the proper one and let it dial home again. But I believe that one was when my cable provider did a change and for some reason my old 2020 was doing the wrong channel conversions (RF Tuner)

I do remember mine happened when I was away on vacation. I came back to a black screen for live TV or new recordings, but the old recordings were OK and could be viewed.

At any rate I know I didn't have to do a factory reset and hopefully you won't either.

I've been very lucky with both of my Replays and never lost any recordings. The only time I had to view all of them was to clean the machine off when I did the HD upgraded on them. Both my 2020 and 3030 now have 60 gig drives.

Good luck and let us know what happens. You can try either of these things and you shouldn't lose any existing recordings. However just check and make sure any of your future gauranteed recordings are still set to work if you get new guide data. Go to the date/time in question in the channel guide and make sure you see the dot(s).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.