AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try to make this as short as possible, without omitting the important stuff:

The system below was working perfectly until last week when my hard-wired ports on my router died.

AVR-2113 connected via 8-port switch to 4 port router (switch to router, AVR to switch)

BDP-570 connected to switch

AVR-1613 connected directly to router

Seagate GoFlex 3tb connected directly to router

DirecTV DECA connected directly to router

Nothing has changed - in fact, bought the same model router to replace dead router.

I can see the GoFlex drive and the 2 DTV receivers on the network map (along with several wifi devices)

Initially, I just swapped the old router for new kept, PPP on the modem not the router, DHC on both AVRs (the way it's been for over a year)

-no AVRs appeared on network, either on network map or accessible through AirPlay or Denon Android App

-everything else, hard-wired and wifi worked fine

Got really frustrated, switched PPP off the modem and onto the router

-same thing, everything but the AVRs are connected

The strange this is - the 1613 upstairs - the connection hasn't changed at all, it's direct to the router - but still doesn't work

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

-Matt

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anything? I've called Denon 2X.

Suggestions ranged from opening ports on the router (which has absolutely nothing to do with an Airport device's (connected to same wifi network) ability to "see" the router.

Ran direct from modem to receiver - nothing.

Ran direct from several ports on the switch - nothing.

Plugged PCs into the switch - no problems - shows on network map, etc.

Plugged other network devices into the ports - no problems.

I have hear a RUMOR that suggests something was changed in the latest firmware...

Is ANYONE have similar issues?

Thanks!

·
Registered
29,115 Posts
Don't know, I have a 1613 connected to a new 8 port GB switch and it works fine. Previously connected directly to 4 port router which worked fine too. Just made the change 2 days ago.

If it was a firmware update it didn't affect my receiver. Of course you have to install the update since it doesn' do it automatically.

Did you install any new firmware recently?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Is there a link light on the switch that shows the AVRs are at least getting a good physical connection to the switch? If so, what does the AVR report when you check the network settings? Does it get a valid IP? If so, can you ping the IPs from your PC? If not, can you try giving it a static IP?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt  /t/1472196/2113ci-on-lan-network-issue#post_23324774

Don't know, I have a 1613 connected to a new 8 port GB switch and it works fine. Previously connected directly to 4 port router which worked fine too. Just made the change 2 days ago.

If it was a firmware update it didn't affect my receiver. Of course you have to install the update since it doesn' do it automatically.

Did you install any new firmware recently?

No - definitely no new firmware installed. That was my suspicion at first, but ruled out that possibility. I would have done so on two different receivers, a 2113 and a 1613 - so unless the "firmware fairies" came and did it while I was away...that's not a possibility, unfortunately.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135  /t/1472196/2113ci-on-lan-network-issue#post_23324871

Is there a link light on the switch that shows the AVRs are at least getting a good physical connection to the switch? If so, what does the AVR report when you check the network settings? Does it get a valid IP? If so, can you ping the IPs from your PC? If not, can you try giving it a static IP?

Yes there's a link light on the router - the port the switch is connected to, and there's activity on the switch (solid green to hub) and blinking green where the 2113 is plugged in, and the other where my BDP570 is plugged in. The BluRay player works great - Netflix, Hulu, media-sharing, etc.

Also tried turning DHCP "OFF" and assigned each receiver its own IP address. No luck there either. Even did the NIC reset *zone2+dimmer" on 1913 and "tune up + dimmer) on the 1613.

Tried running the 1613 directly to the router, then directly to the modem - same thing - nothing.

Did the same with the ports off the switch the 1913 is connected to - disabled the WiFi adapter on my laptop, and I was able to get an IP instantly on all the ports of the router.

Neither receiver is showing up on my iPod, or the wonderful "Denon Remote" for Android, or the network map on Netgear's Genie application.

If it were a port issue, specifically opening port 8080 and 10443 as the Denon tech instructed) I would still be able to "see" the receivers on Air-play and other non-internet dependent applications like the Netgear Map and the Denon Android Remote.

Very frustrated - the system was working perfectly for nearly a year without a hitch!

I sure do miss my Air-play! Thanks for the suggestions.

*Incidentally - the company that installed the systems for me has a great reputation (and is owned by my nephew) - he's done multiple NFL and NBA players' homes, some pretty crazy stuff for "rock stars" and hundreds of systems for "regular joes" like me. He said he had received 3-4 calls yesterday related to the same issue. Not how valid that is, considering many of his client's couldn't operate a garage door opener without technical assistance!

I'm have three other devices connected directly through the router - no problems their either.

Totally stumpped!

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2113CI has exactly the same symptoms. I had a perfectly fine working 2113CI for past 3 months. Had not used the network mode for a few weeks when this saturday morning I felt the urge to hear to Pandora. My 2113ci is directly connected to one of the 4 available ports of the cable modem.

Powered ON the receiver and got a message saying that network in not available. Amused, I got up and checked cables etc. All fine. Then I noticed that the orange and green lights around the network socket are dead. I feared that something is wrong with the modem and changed the network ports. Still no light :-( and no network connection in the receiver.

Heres what all I have tried -

Power cycled the receiver - Didnt work

Changed the cable - Didnt work

Changed the port on modem - Didnt work

Changed the IP settings from DHCP to Manual. Setup the IP, gateway and DNS. - Didnt work

Factory reset the whole receiver. (I was really hoping this will work) - Didnt work :-( and lost my audyssey settings as well :-(

The firmware shows the version as - 1490-1169-0000-2140-1977. In the general notifications section I see the Update - ON, Upgrade - ON

Any clues on what could be wrong here?

Please help...

·
Registered
2,310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiedogent  /t/1472196/2113ci-on-lan-network-issue/0_100#post_23325948

Yes there's a link light on the router - the port the switch is connected to, and there's activity on the switch (solid green to hub) and blinking green where the 2113 is plugged in, and the other where my BDP570 is plugged in. The BluRay player works great - Netflix, Hulu, media-sharing, etc.

Also tried turning DHCP "OFF" and assigned each receiver its own IP address. No luck there either. Even did the NIC reset *zone2+dimmer" on 1913 and "tune up + dimmer) on the 1613.

Tried running the 1613 directly to the router, then directly to the modem - same thing - nothing.

Did the same with the ports off the switch the 1913 is connected to - disabled the WiFi adapter on my laptop, and I was able to get an IP instantly on all the ports of the router.

Neither receiver is showing up on my iPod, or the wonderful "Denon Remote" for Android, or the network map on Netgear's Genie application.

If it were a port issue, specifically opening port 8080 and 10443 as the Denon tech instructed) I would still be able to "see" the receivers on Air-play and other non-internet dependent applications like the Netgear Map and the Denon Android Remote.

Very frustrated - the system was working perfectly for nearly a year without a hitch!

I sure do miss my Air-play! Thanks for the suggestions.

*Incidentally - the company that installed the systems for me has a great reputation (and is owned by my nephew) - he's done multiple NFL and NBA players' homes, some pretty crazy stuff for "rock stars" and hundreds of systems for "regular joes" like me. He said he had received 3-4 calls yesterday related to the same issue. Not how valid that is, considering many of his client's couldn't operate a garage door opener without technical assistance!

I'm have three other devices connected directly through the router - no problems their either.

Totally stumpped!

When you assigned the IP to the receivers I'm assuming you know you need to be in the same IP range defined by your network mask. Were you able to ping the receivers from your laptop?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupsachin  /t/1472196/2113ci-on-lan-network-issue/0_100#post_23330175

My 2113CI has exactly the same symptoms. I had a perfectly fine working 2113CI for past 3 months. Had not used the network mode for a few weeks when this saturday morning I felt the urge to hear to Pandora. My 2113ci is directly connected to one of the 4 available ports of the cable modem.

Powered ON the receiver and got a message saying that network in not available. Amused, I got up and checked cables etc. All fine. Then I noticed that the orange and green lights around the network socket are dead. I feared that something is wrong with the modem and changed the network ports. Still no light :-( and no network connection in the receiver.

Heres what all I have tried -

Power cycled the receiver - Didnt work

Changed the cable - Didnt work

Changed the port on modem - Didnt work

Changed the IP settings from DHCP to Manual. Setup the IP, gateway and DNS. - Didnt work

Factory reset the whole receiver. (I was really hoping this will work) - Didnt work :-( and lost my audyssey settings as well :-(

The firmware shows the version as - 1490-1169-0000-2140-1977. In the general notifications section I see the Update - ON, Upgrade - ON

Any clues on what could be wrong here?

Please help...

If you're not getting any link lights this means your physical connection has not been established. Do other devices work on the same modem? Do you have another switch or router you can plug the receiver into to see if you get a good link light? I've seen cases where there are device incompatibilities. If these receivers are getting firmware updates, the firmware could have introduced something to cause incompatibilities.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135  /t/1472196/2113ci-on-lan-network-issue#post_23330205

If you're not getting any link lights this means your physical connection has not been established. Do other devices work on the same modem? Do you have another switch or router you can plug the receiver into to see if you get a good link light? I've seen cases where there are device incompatibilities. If these receivers are getting firmware updates, the firmware could have introduced something to cause incompatibilities.

All other devices (VOIP Phone, Sony BluRay) connected on the same modem are working fine. I swapped the ports of the receiver with a confirmed working port and still no light. Removed all other connections from the modem and just plugged the receiver, but still no light. I do not have any other router/switch at home so unable to check, but I do not suspect the modem as all other devices seem to be working.

I am also suspecting some kind of firmware upgrade... can anyone tell if there was an upgrade recently? If yes, how can I roll back without a working network connection?

·
Registered
11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt  /t/1472196/2113ci-on-lan-network-issue#post_23330300

The receiver doesn't automatically upgrade itself. You have to confirm in order to do an upgrade/update.

So unless you actually performed an upgrade, none was done.

Any suggestions on what I could try next? All other functions/features of the receiver are working fine. Could this be a hardware problem with the receiver?

·
Registered
11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1472196/2113ci-on-lan-network-issue#post_23333276

Try doing the "Network reset" procedure noted in post #5 of the "2012 Denon AVR-XX13 Models" thread linked in my sig.

Thanks for the tip. Did a Network reset procedure, but still no network. I did a reset to modem again, swapped many ports and cables around but still no success. I bought this as a factory refurbished item and it is out of warranty.

What are my options now? Please help!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just noticed that the receiver warranty is 1 year
(an not 60 days as I originally thought). I am planning to get in touch with Denon service to resolve this. Is there a thread where I can read more about process for claiming warranty and any specific Dos and Donts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm still having the same issue - I've tried standard resets, network resets (on the receiver), bought a new router, a new modem, but still ZERO response from the 1613 or 2113. I've tried manually adding the receivers to the network - and still no change.

They don't respond to a ping using the IP that I manually added, and they don't grab an IP with DHCP on. Everything else works fine on the network, both hard wired and Wi-Fi.

Wi-Fi:

3 Android phones

1 iPhone

1 Epson printer

4 Windows laptops

2 Kindles

1 Nexus tablet

Hard wired directly to router:

Seagate GoFlex 3Tb drive

2 DirecTV receivers through a DECA adapter

The AVR-2113

1 8-port switch

Through switch:

1 Sony Blu Ray

1 Sharp Blu Ray

The AVR-1613

Xbox

All the devices above (except the Denons) appear on the network map, have internet access, can be controlled or accessed through Wi-Fi, all the media servers within the devices are accessible.

Any other ideas or suggestions? In the meantime, the installer is trying to get an RMA from his distributor for the Denons.

I still own the first Denon I purchased - an AVR-2800 - still sounds great and works perfectly. The 1613 and 2113 are the 5th and 6th Denon AVR that I've owned, and the first time I've ever had a problem.

Not sure what to do next...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I reset the modem to default factory settings, lost all configuration data and wireless settings just to see if that helps. Set it up again and all wired/wireless devices other than my Denon receiver got connected seamlessly. Logged into the modem and saw the diagnostics logs. I can see mac addresses of all connected devices (2 wired, 4 wireless), except Denon!! Don't even see any led glowing on the network port of receiver or modem.

I guess I will have to accept that there is a problem with receiver and it needs to be sent back
. Just a little hesitant in sending this as I am worried that sending this for service should not start a saga of new issues (new technical/hardware issues, followup with service, shipping, parts etc). I do not use the internet radios a lot and do not have any network storage. I can live without it as FM still works! What is the general suggestion - send / dont send to service station?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts