AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I finally got to watch Independence Day after buying it when it first came out. My son watches all the new discs before I get home and then whines when I want to watch them, so I hadn't seen it since forever. He was watching it on DSS when I got home, so I forced him to put the DVD in from that scene. The details and color were incredible. I swear every time I see an old DVD it's like I never saw the movie before. My son and I are frequently so startled by what we see that we just have to point out textures and surfaces that we are absorbing for the first time. I makes you feel like you want to touch everything. Sorry about this post, but I just can't help it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
with hi ambient lite, enough lite that u could read fine prints, how bad was the washout ? could u still enjoy a football game during the day ? this is my first choice for a pj, but someone told me the washout still would be bad enough on all the front pjs.

thanks,

le140

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffY
Joe,

Just think how good it would have been with a good projector. :p
Sounds like a case of lumen-envy.;)

·
Registered
280 Posts
JHouse and all:

The revealing of subtle textures is to me the greatest accomplishment of a great projector. That is one reason I could not live with the PLV-60. It is a fine projector in many ways, with a better scaler than the XP21, but--for example--people's complexions looked somewhat smoothed over with that PJ, ditto with the otherwise excellent Panny 711, and so on, among the numerous projectors I have seen. The XP21 brings out every pore, every gradient of texture in faces, from the bruise to the blush. Likewise, on the brick wall in West Side Story where the end credits appear, I could see things I had never come close to seeing on a disc I use as a demo for every projector. As JHouse implies, these improvements over many other fine projectors are sometimes not subtle at all; they are astonishing.

Mike

·
Registered
350 Posts
Must really get a Quadscan and see what you're talking about ...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was already planning for an HTPC but you guys are whipping me to a frenzy. As Joe pointed out to me yesterday, a scalar is optimum.

The pj alone has been such a huge improvement over RPTV (Elite) that every time we watch it is a great experience but where will it stop? When the "Fun" bank account dries up or I stop reading this forum (wait a minute, what am I saying).

When I saw Dan Houck's set up with the Faroudja NRS, and the Panamorph I was duly impressed. I was hopeful I could do with less but now I am shopping for an ISCO, an HTPC, an HD card, a Grayhawk, black out screens, a new AV receiver, another subwoofer, the next projector..........

Rick

Out Shopping in the NW

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
le140,

NFL Sunday Ticket was the acid test for me. I have a large south-facing window right next to the edge of the screen that I have to cover with blackout drapes in the daytime. I have a 1.3 gain da-matte screen. It will definitely wash out if those drapes are open. But the room has 4 other windows/doorways (two more on the south) that let in light to vanilla wood paneling and carpet, plus a white ceiling, so I'm not giving the projector much help. Football/golf is still very watchable Sunday afternoon. However, I'm not painting the room, so I'm starting to consider a Firehawk screen. That way I can go bigger and 16:9 to boot.

Jeffy, Bite me. I'm coming to London this Tuesday, so hide. ;-)

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Rick:

Glad I was able to help raise your aspirations and wreck your budget!

:D

Dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.