AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the design and construction thread for my recently finished theater and gym addition to my basement. I have read countless threads on here from all of you on your builds (and wow some of them are simply amazing) and thought I would post mine and offer help to anyone going through what I did about a year ago. The design process took about 6 mo and construction about 4 Nov '10-Feb '11. I didn't really set a budget to start with just went with what I had and whatever wasn't spent on construction went into equipment. That being said I think I'm about 12-13k into both rooms including equipment so for those of you just starting your quest it can be done. I'll be adding pictures shortly. I'm by no means an expert, just a guy who wanted a theater and built it and happy to help other who have questions.

Equipment

Panasonic AE4000U (if you read around i don't think you can find a better projector for the money, the image is simply stunning for the cost.)

Yamaha VX-2065 7.2 receiver (got a good deal on it and supported dual HDMI outputs, a must for me since i was putting the gym in at the same time) The power is a bit less than my Oynko upstairs so may eventually get an external amp.

Paradigm CLR and CS series (again got a good deal, they sound full and robust. I know the purist despise in wall speakers but I really wanted a clean look and for my tastes the sound is great.)

Definitive technology super cube sub-woofer, I have two of these in the room, one in its enclosure and another built into the wall (def tech replace an amp for me and asked me to remove the sub before shipping back, when they sent back loaded a new sub in since there was a new model, awesome company if you haven't dealt with them before, not sure if its the same now since they have blown up in the last couple years).

Even though I did not "sound proof" the room I did insulate all sides of the room, this does greatly quiet the space and well worth the 300$ (This appears to also help the in-wall speakers sound richer).

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Yup, very nice. Well done. I really like your colors. What size is your screen?

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp360 /forum/post/20811162

What color paint is that, i like it and might do something similar.

Thanks, I'll get the paint name and the brand when I get home tomorrow, thanks it turned out better than I thought once it was dry. The color is more grey than green in person, the flash really brings out the green. I'll take some pics without the flash this weekend. I highly recommend painting the ceiling the same color helps keep your eye from drifting up during the movie. since both my seating levels are elevated the screen is pretty close to the ceiling.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyDIYtheater /forum/post/20811641

Thanks, its 106" from Visual Apex very pleased with the value/performance.

I got my brother the 100" model from Visual Apex, I was really impressed as well. For Price Vs. Quality, I cant imagine getting much better. The only thing I didnt care for was the splice in the middle of the top and bottom frames, but if you are careful getting it together it looks fine, and once you start watching movies, I've never noticed it since.

Im surprised you didnt go for an AT screen. Since you've got the ae4000 and in wall speakers....If it were me....Id get an AT screen and go scope all day long in that room! Might something to think about for the future....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by premiertrussman /forum/post/20812526

Im surprised you didnt go for an AT screen. Since you've got the ae4000 and in wall speakers....If it were me....Id get an AT screen and go scope all day long in that room! Might something to think about for the future....

I would have loved to do AT but couldn't, I'll post pics of my equip room on the right side of the room. Inside is the main electrical service for the house, so the equip cabinet had to hug the wall to provide the 36" clear required by code. With the equipment rack where it is left no Room for AT false wall to come out.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyDIYtheater /forum/post/20813034

I would have loved to do AT but couldn't, I'll post pics of my equip room on the right side of the room. Inside is the main electrical service for the house, so the equip cabinet had to hug the wall to provide the 36" clear required by code. With the equipment rack where it is left no Room for AT false wall to come out.

Well what i was thinking is with the inwall speakers you wouldnt need the false wall...Seymour AV's screen material i think you can just a few inches from the material and be OK. So basically a 2X4's width to hang your screen from and the cover the rest of the wall flush with fabric panels. But i see where your rack is really close to that corner. Oh well.

Either way your theater looks great...sooo comfy looking too! I wish i had plush carpet in my theater!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.