AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If 16x9 is 1.78:1 and will fill my screen and 2.35:1 and 2.40:1 will always present black bars on my screen, where can I get a tv that's 21x9 so I can view 2.35:1 on the entire screen? Is this a stupid question? Because the way i see it, it's true that you see more with the OAR but I paid good money for a 56" TV that only shows me about 52" from corner to corner on a 2.35:1 movie.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Your options:

1: Buy a bigger tv so the 2.35:1 portion is larger, but then you'll want it bigger since the 16:9 is bigger.

2: Get a projector with an anamorphic lens. You'll not only have an image 4x bigger or more, but it will be true 2.35:1.

3: Funny that you should bring this up though. I am working on trying to build a a rear projection home cinema set and have considered making a 2.35:1 version with a 100-150" screen. 100" is 4x the size of a 50" in terms of total screen surface. It will use DLP projection. I'm considering making the screen size easily adjustable from small to large at 16:9 ratio all the way upto 2.35:1 at its largest. I may be designing this set soon and will post pics of the prototype. If you're interested in seeing them just let me know. I'm building one for myself, but also building them for a business as well.

·
Registered
240 Posts
But then 1.85 movies won't fill your screen, let alone 1.33 ones.

·
Registered
640 Posts

·
Registered
4,470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandn0117 /forum/post/16902711

Uh...I watch blu ray nothing is in those formats on blu so why would I care

A large portion of the Blu-Rays I have seen are in the wide format he's referring to that will have black bars on the top and bottom of a 16:9 screen (ie; 2.35:1 and 2.40:1 ratios). I dunno what Blu-Rays you are watching, unless you are using your TV's stretch mode that stretches or crops the image to fill the 16:9 area. Big No-No for most.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth /forum/post/16902687

But then 1.85 movies won't fill your screen, let alone 1.33 ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandn0117 /forum/post/16902711

Uh...I watch blu ray nothing is in those formats on blu so why would I care

I guess that means you won't be watching Gone With The Wind or Casablanca or The Wizard of Oz or Shrek or Toy Story or Napoleon Dynamite or My Big Fat Greek Wedding or My Cousin Vinnie or Das Boot or The Shawshank Redemption or The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad or High School Musical 3 or Mulholland Drive or Gimme Shelter or....

(Note: not all of these are on Blu-Ray yet.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.