AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to talk the wife into a LCD TV to put over our fireplace. Unfortunately, we are severly size-limited, and the most we could probably do (beyond the 22" size) is 24" (or 30" with some sever modifications to the fireplace... baby steps, I says)

I'm drawn to the Panasonic ones for looks; the Sharp Aquos TVs all have those stupid-looking speakers on the side, which I have no use for. Beyond that, I don't have much experience with any of them.

I'm not all that interested in HDTV; I'll save that for my "real" HDTV sometime in the future. I just want an excuse to buy a progressive scan DVD player. :) Also, there seems to be a great discrepancy in the price... anywhere from $1500 to $2700 on up. What should I look for? Any chance the prices are going to drop soon?

Thanks in advance

Mike

P.S. I will *not* be using this for a computer.

·
Super Moderator
21,532 Posts
you might check out the Panasonic TC22LT1: nice 22" LCD display

on the Sharp Aquos LC-30 displays- note the speakers are removeable: the LC30HV2U might be available at a discount because a newer model LC-30HV4U, with DVI/HDCP, has just come out

best we don't mention specific prices or retailers (forum rules)

check them out at showrooms/search this forum for more info

Mark

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
I have the Samsung LTM225W (22" LCD TV) here.

Pros:

1) Really quite nice PQ with DVD playback (progressive

player on the component connection).

2) The response time is 16 milliseconds, and I see no

"ghosting" even with the fastest action material.

3) Viewing angle is 170(H)/170(V). Of course for best PQ,

you should sit in front of it. However, the off angle

performance is quite acceptable. I often watch mine at

about a 45 degree off axis angle (while surfing AVS) with

just a slight loss of perceived red color.

4) Nice zoom mode for letterboxed material.

Cons:

1) For some reason, I'm having some "tearing" problems

from widescreen DVD's with the display in "wide" mode.

I wish there were more folks with this display to either

confirm or deny this problem. I do not see it in "normal"

or "zoom" modes. DVD player is a Pioneer DV-47Ai. I really

should try another player, just to be sure it's not the

player or player/display combination but haven't gotten

around to it.

2) Garbage in, garbage out. The PQ from my GI cable box

over the RF connection is pretty horrible. A regular CRT

television looks much better.

3) If you are sensitive to the "chroma bug", the fixed

pixel nature of this display shows it in all it's glory.

In fact, it looks almost identical to this simulated

picture I posted in the DVD hardware forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...312&fullpage=1

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. The next step is to

bring home my Samsung SIR-T165 from work and get going

with OTA HDTV.

Ron

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys so far.

Mark:

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I wasn't asking for specific prices from vendors on any model in particular...just wanted to avoid a "If you had only waited till everybody's going to and prices are going to go way down" kind of thing. :)

ConceptVBS:

What do you like about the Samsungs? They certainly look nice.

Ron:

Thanks for your reply. Since this is for the (non-technical) wife, is there much one can do about the PQ using cable? Digital cable is available, but I've heard that it's not much better. It would be unfortunate if she hated watching regular TV on the thing. How bad is bad?

Also, not really sure what the "chroma bug" is; I'll read the other topic you linked to and search around this vast site.

Thanks to everybody for the replies,

Mike

·
Registered
263 Posts
Mike

I also recommend the Panny 22". Its processing of regular cable tv signals is better, in my judgment, than good CRT analogue receivers. It is only EDTV in resolution, but like the Panny EDTV plasmas it does a fine job with HDtv and DVDs. If you are willing to go to 30" and double the price of the Panny, take a look at the new Sony 30"LCD tv. Superb HDTV and DVD. Less good, I think, than the Panny 22" with NTSC cable and satellite signals.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Quote:
Ron:

Thanks for your reply. Since this is for the (non-technical)

wife, is there much one can do about the PQ using cable?

Digital cable is available, but I've heard that it's not

much better. It would be unfortunate if she hated watching

regular TV on the thing. How bad is bad?
One thing I haven't tried yet is using the composite video

output from the cable STB instead of the channel 3 RF. Also,

the video quality on my cable system varies from channel

to channel. The local stations on the low channels are

the worst, lot's of noise. The satellite feeds (like CNN)

are pretty good. Digital channels (like HBO and Showtime)

vary from good to poor depending on how much compression is

being used at the time. I guess the bottom line is that

YMMV depending on your cable system.
Quote:
Ron

I was thinking of picking up this set. Have you tried HD

through this set.
Sorry, not yet. Given the nice DVD playback PQ, I'm expecting

the same results with HD sources. Since it only weighs 20

lbs., I suppose I could bring it in to work to see how OTA

HD looks like from the Samsung SIR-T165 tuner.

Ron

·
Super Moderator
21,532 Posts
the Panasonic TC-22LT1 will accept 480p and is an excellent LCD display- looks very good with a 480p source

it has 2 component video inputs (via special cables supplied with ) as well as composite and S Video, and a tuner

usually I like the Sharp Aquos but in this particular size the Panasonic is clearly better

Ron- you should try the composite connection from your stb instead of the RF- I think you will see an improvement

Mark

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just picked up the Samsung 22" (LTM225W) for my bedroom, I use it as a PC display as well as for DVD playback/Broadcast cable. For the money I spent, i think its the best bargain out there right now... I was initally considering the Samsung 240T, but couldnt justify spending another $1000 for an additional 2" of diagonal.

My overall experience is the same as dr1394's, but i have to add that it is an EXCELLENT pc display, and that the chroma bug really doesnt really "kill" me sitting about 8 feet away from the screen, using my HTPC as my source via DVI.

·
Registered
392 Posts
With Regards to Chroma Bug:

Does all of Samsung 22' have Chroma Bug? I saw somebody posting a shot of the bug infected screen on this thread. It looked unacceptable. I was thinking of using this monitor as a PC monitor and occasional TV from 2-3 feet distance. How will the screen look?

Michaelmorio

·
Super Moderator
21,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Michaelmorio
With Regards to Chroma Bug:

Does all of Samsung 22' have Chroma Bug? I saw somebody posting a shot of the bug infected screen on this thread. It looked unacceptable. I was thinking of using this monitor as a PC monitor and occasional TV from 2-3 feet distance. How will the screen look?

Michaelmorio
a description of the chroma bug is found here:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...ug-4-2001.html

Mark

·
Registered
29 Posts
As far as i'm aware, the "chroma bug" issue is only of concern with DVD playback. All displays are susceptable to some degree; some more than others.

I have used the LTM225W as a PC display (DVI), at 1280x720 resolution. I sit no more than 2 feet away from it, the picture is as good as, if not better than the Sony SDMN51-B LCD that it replaced.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Mark:

Thank you for the link. I learned a lot.

Msolei00:

Glad to know you your Samsung is fine. Also, can you tell me more about your experience with the Samsung? You refereed to one Sony. But I don't know anything about it so I can't even compare. As often mentioned for LCDs, does the Samsung suffer from a kind of "flat looking" and "week blacks"?

Michaelmorio

·
Registered
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dr1394
I have the Samsung LTM225W (22" LCD TV) here.

Cons:

1) For some reason, I'm having some "tearing" problems

from widescreen DVD's with the display in "wide" mode.

I wish there were more folks with this display to either

confirm or deny this problem. I do not see it in "normal"

or "zoom" modes. DVD player is a Pioneer DV-47Ai. I really

should try another player, just to be sure it's not the

player or player/display combination but haven't gotten

around to it.

Ron
I have seen the same "tearing" problem on a couple diffrent units. I am running 720P into the VGA input on the monitor. Did you ever find a solution to this issue.....

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Mike,

There have been recent threads on the Panasonic 22", the new Sony 23", and the Samsung 22". You should really read those threads if you're considering any of these units.

·
Registered
413 Posts
At Fry's today, I saw Sony's 23-inch KLV-23HR1 with 1080i feed. With the standard caveat regarding different settings and feeds, its PQ blew away the whole "30 and under" LCD crowd. But it doesn't have DVI. I'm waiting to see the Samsung LTM225W which has both DVI and component input, and is coming to my UE later this month.

Any ETA on the Mitsubishi LT-2220?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.