AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how hard would it be to change the Voltage on an Adcom 545II amp. I want to use a 220 volt amp here in the US. Is it as easy as changing the input taps on it's transformer? Is it a new transformer, or should I use a step up transformer at the wall outlet.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Colin Brown

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Colin,

the best bet, IMO, would be a step up converter, indeed!

Also if you want to come back to 120V, you'll be able to do so anytime.

The only thing you gotta do is to check the power consumption of your gear and buy the proper converter though.

Bear in mind that you'll need a "safety margin" in the voltage. Let's say your gear has a power consumption of 800 Watts, right? Put A 20% on that and you'll be ready to go ( 960W - round it off to 1,000W converter though).

Regards, Chuck

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
You miite want to check with the Adcom distributor..

Some of their 230V products came with multi-tap power transformers..

If yours includes this, then a simple internal wiring jumper change and...
Instant 120V capability..

·
Registered
2,674 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinBrown44 /forum/post/12918432

I was wondering how hard would it be to change the Voltage on an Adcom 545II amp. I want to use a 220 volt amp here in the US. Is it as easy as changing the input taps on it's transformer? Is it a new transformer, or should I use a step up transformer at the wall outlet.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Colin Brown

At least one of my Adcom 545iis has a circuit board inside with jumper settings for 100V, 120, and 220/240. A jumper setting, fuse change, and power cord may be all you need.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts