AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Here's the way I see it....

Your components power supplies all need to be compatible with 220v input. Many products are not and would require modification at the factory to be compatible with 240v input.

Also, it is my opinion that only current hungry devices, like big power amplifiers will see big gains going from the higher voltage.

For source components, I'd say feed them with balanced power from something like a BPT, ExactPower, Equitech or PS Audio units.

Just my thoughts I'm sure others will disagree.

Regards,

·
Registered
648 Posts
Unless your equipment is built for 220V I think you might be unhappy if you plugged it in and powered it up.

The extra volts could come in handy if you had some really big power hungry amps. More volts at the same amps equals more watts.

I think many folks simply pull extra 110V circuits for power hungry

systems. I have 3 in mine. Some have as many as 20.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Umm a 220VAC going into a 110VAC equipment will not have a pretty end. That why most devises IF they do support both have a switch so you can choose between 110 or 220. Why. Simple. Diffrent transformer. Usually a trasformer either increases or decreases voltages (usually decreases depending on the circuit) to a couple of voltage output. Usually a 5 VAC and 20 VAC. that from 110. Do that with 220 and you get 10VAC and 40 VAC. In otherwords you WILL smoke smothing at those specs. So run your equipment at Mfg recommened settings. If it has both try 110 and run more "circuits" to the outlet.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The heading says 220amps vs. 110 amps but what you are really asking about is volts.

Amps is the amount of energy

Volts is the amount of pressure

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.