AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watch content with a myriad of different frame rates. I find myself checking the frame rate (if possible), and switching my display to (try to) match rates. If I don't, there is tearing or judder (and there always is tearing at the top with PAL sources, but I digress...).

Is there some way to get my machine to switch the refresh rate of the display to match a playing video source automagically? I have an ASUS B85M-G (Intel B85 chipset) pushing 1920x1080 pixels to a Panasonic PT-AR100U projector over HDMI.

The software is annoying, and uses terms like "23p" and "24p" that are somewhat ambiguous with regard to whether or not they're referring to 23.976, 23.972, 24, etc...

I'm happy to throw money at this problem.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am looking for the same. I am using Windows Media Center with the Recorded TV HD plugin. Most of the content I watch is PAL and so my default refresh is 50Hz. However it would be great if this could be automatically switched to 30Hz or 24Hz as required based on the video.

I found an AutoFrequency utility but I think this is designed for use with MPC-HC. Is there anything that will work happily with Media Center?

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I am looking for the same. I am using Windows Media Center with the Recorded TV HD plugin. Most of the content I watch is PAL and so my default refresh is 50Hz. However it would be great if this could be automatically switched to 30Hz or 24Hz as required based on the video.

I found an AutoFrequency utility but I think this is designed for use with MPC-HC. Is there anything that will work happily with Media Center?
AFAIK no - your stuck with whatever your desktop refresh is set at - although I think MyMovies has cracked it, but either you have to contribute missing detail from their metadata (I would think its well nigh impossible), or stump up - I think $100.00 or thereabouts to get access.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I use MPC-HD and VLC. For streaming web stuff, I use Chrome.

This thread isn't so hot on the auto-switching of MPC-HD, but I'll give it a shot:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/1322517-help-auto-refresh-rate-mpc.html

Where is that setting, exactly? Maybe it's time to try some other front-ends...
I don't stream so can't comment on the abilities of Chrome etc to switch framerates, but the thread NNate linked to is a great starting point.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That thread will lead to countless hours of trying to figure out what I broke during one of the 70 steps required to get mad VR working.

I realize the depth of this forum, but that's just too long a road for me to solve this problem.

·
Registered
57 Posts
AFAIK no - your stuck with whatever your desktop refresh is set at - although I think MyMovies has cracked it, but either you have to contribute missing detail from their metadata (I would think its well nigh impossible), or stump up - I think $100.00 or thereabouts to get access.
That's a shame. I had seen that My Movies has this feature which made me think that it was at least possible. Trouble is I like the way RTVHD seamless blends my OTA recordings with other media and requires next to no maintenance.

I have made a feature request with the developer but things have been really quiet on that front for over year so I don't hold out much hope.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
That thread will lead to countless hours of trying to figure out what I broke during one of the 70 steps required to get mad VR working.

I realize the depth of this forum, but that's just too long a road for me to solve this problem.
LOL that I can understand. Some of the other front ends require less tinkering - except when it comes to recognising your files and presenting them in a coherent manner.

You don't have to use MadVR, as I said earlier you can use MPC-HC to auto change.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts