AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's not "true" HDTV but I was impressed with the first episode - it did indeed live up to the (extreme) hype in various forms of media and I had the reaction many of the critics had : Did an hour already go by? This was the first time I had really wanted two HD receivers - one to timeshift NYPD blue and the other to watch 24. So I chose to tapethe first hour of NYPD blue to S-VHS. Not an easy choice and most HDers probably watched NYPD Blue (therefore no thread yet on 24!)

Our local Fox (there, I said it!) does a terrific job with the 480p digital feed and pumps it up to 720p which I watch native (EH8500LC) and it was totally engrossing as a result. The PQ is not quite HD, but certainly on a par with some of HBO's lower quality "HD" transfers such as (An)na and the Ki(ng).

I'm certainly looking forward to the next 23 episodes, each followed by the one-hour NYPD Blue (sorry Guardian!!)

So much HDTV so little time!

Andy

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
I only had a few minutes to watch FOX last night, in time to catch "24". The 480p was very good, comparable to some of my best DVD movies. What is this show about? I might decided to record it next time with my AccessDTV.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jacmyoung, The title refers to the 24 hrs in one day in the world of terrorism and counter terrorism that starts with "credible, reliable" information concerning a hit on a Senator. Each show covers just one hour of the 24 and in the first episode we got to know many of the key players and "see" a Jumbo jet blown up by a terrorist - at least in the original version we would have seen it ; in the version that aired, edited after the Sep 11 attacks, we know it happened but they showed only a few pieces of plane wreckage rather than the plane exploding.

Tight editing and effective but sparing use of split screen and , by now, an all-too-real plot line added up to a great show. Certsinly worth taping and watching a few episodes but I think it'll maintain its attraction till the end...

Andy

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
I started to watch it. But the large national Fox logo in one corner and the huge local Fox logo in the other corner was just too distracting. I couldn't concentrate on the show. Fox should be ashamed of themselves for such an obnoxious display of corporate and local identity. It's way beyond overkill and they certainly lost one viewer because of it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
WAGA Atlanta usually does a good job with 480p, but last night for the first several minutes of 24 it looked awful. I'm not sure what it was, maybe an upconverted and streched analog feed, but it hurt my eyes. I wonder if this is what other stations are doing all the time to get so many people on this forum to complain about Fox's picture quality.

Once the picture was corrected it looked good, but it isn't Fox's best. I've never minded Fox's 480p until I spotted 'Ruby' from the CBS series 'Wolf Lake'. It's difficult to adjust to seeing her fully clothed in 480p after getting to see half of her left tit in HD on CBS.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Terrific TV episode that felt like a film. I'll keep watching.

Does FOX in CT (channel 61) transmit in 480p? I am betting no.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guess I didn't appreciate how good a job KTVU does till I read some of the replies! Only the national Fox logo in the bottom right of the screen - in principle obnoxious, but in practice not distracting, and PQ (when the local affiliate treats it right! - good 480-720 conversion, no stretching etc) that's as good as a good scaled DVD or low quality (or down rezzed?) HD. I'll definitely keep watching if the content remains as engrossing...

Andy

·
Registered
409 Posts
There will be on oncore presentation on friday at 9:00 Pm those who missed it.

My local Fox WSVN was not transmiting on Digital last night at least until 9:15 PM so I went to the Bedroom and watched it there :(

Great Series Can't wait till Monday

·
Registered
425 Posts
So, this program was presented in 480p in L.A? I thought the picture quality was somewhat mediocre. To my eyes it is no better than KTLA-DT in our area to which I flipped to catch some of "Smallville."

As for the program, I couldn't recommend it. While the premise is intriguing, and while I enjoyed Sutherland's performance, I doubt seriously our counter espionage agents are housed in loft-like buildings with high-tech monitors hanging about everywhere and young nubile assistants providing intelligence and computer hacks for the good guys. It was nothing more than a Hollywood version of reality. My 2 cents...

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
If Dean's description was accurate, I totally agree with his assessment. If 911 never had happened, I might have enjoyed this kind of shows for their entertainment value once a while. But in light of the recent event, I found most shows related to intelligence/counter intelligence too far from reality, to the point that I quiver if the agents are truly as portrayed.

I guess I am getting too tense lately.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DeanS

As for the program, I couldn't recommend it. While the premise is intriguing, and while I enjoyed Sutherland's performance, I doubt seriously our counter espionage agents are housed in loft-like buildings with high-tech monitors hanging about everywhere and young nubile assistants providing intelligence and computer hacks for the good guys. It was nothing more than a Hollywood version of reality. My 2 cents...
A TV show based on an unrealistic interpretation of reality? As opposed to say ... "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" or "Dark Angel". This is network TV, so I wouldn't recommend setting the reality threshhold too high.

Yes, there were definitely scenes, lines, actions that fail the "no way" test, but overall I liked the originality and pace of the show. I watched it on a VHS tape, so I have no idea how the PQ was, but I would watch again.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jluzbet

Great Series Can't wait till Monday
Is the next episode airing on Monday? I thought this was a Tuesday regular for Fox?

·
Registered
425 Posts
BondDude, I can't really argue your point. But there are plenty of PBS produced (and, dare I say it, networked produced) series dealing with somewhat the same subject matter which ARE more reality-based and, therefore, more compelling AND involving. I'm just trying to say that, for a series that came so highly recommended, I felt "let down" by its portrayal of those working in the intelligence community. I'm no expert here, but I imagine much of what they do is far more mundane than that portrayed in "24."

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
i urge you all to not support FOX and their 480p policy. please DO NOT watch this show.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A Debar - since the PQ (on KTVU and at least some other affiliates) is waaaay better than a whole lot of other stuff on TV, and many seem to think as good as much of the mediocre HBO trasfers, I have no problem watching this show. I don't have much interest in a lot of Fox shows (based on content alone) and I also wish they had more interest in HD but I'll keep watching because I enjoy it.

DeanS, respect your discomfort/tension on the show's premise and execution but I'm watching it as fiction and not an attempt at a docudrama - perhaps that's what "insulates" me. As for the "glamorous" loft and lots of (Apple) high tech computer stuff not truly reflecting the mundane reality of the CTO world, that's part of the fiction and doesn't get in my way any more than the portrayal of the science in CSI. Does anyone really think that you can put a drop of diluted blood into one of those machines and get a DNA profile in 5 seconds or put a bit of mud/paint/dust/fiber etc into the (same!!!) machine and get a (same type of ) mass spectrometry printout also in 5 seconds which immediately identifies the source of the mud/paint factory/ garment manufacturer etc??? To portray that side of the CSI plot in any way remotely realistically would be too boring and complex for the audience - what they're really saying is that it's possible to get this kind of information with today's technology and skipping the details to make a watchable show....

Andy

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Andy, I can't really disagree with you. Unfortunately all of us have trouble separating fiction from reality, only in varying degrees. Many advocated our response to the WTC attack based on their Hollywood experience. Such experience is often arrogant misrepresentation of the reality.

Such "insulation" may continue to work for many, it worked great for me before but not any longer.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I enjoyed the show, though I don't get it in 480p. Even though it is in SD, the plot, use of split-screen, and the whole concept of the show (24 1-hr "real-time" episodes) is unique. I'm happy they have done it, and I've put it into my ReplayTV to record each week.

While I can sympathize with those who are angry this is not in HD, I wouldn't be able to get it in HD anyways (DirecTV doesn't carry HD signals for locals, my ex-cable provider sucks, and I live on the back side of a hill from the terrestrial broadcast towers). I'm not sure that a boycott of the show for not being in HD will be (economically) heard by the networks because there's just so few HD receivers. That doesn't mean that I don't agree with those who wish to make such a stance - I've just voted by not buying a receiver yet for my HD-ready TV due to lack of content. Money talks, and while it may be 2006 before something else matters, it will eventually all be in HD. Or at least that's what I've been told will happen ;)

Conor

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
"Yes, there were definitely scenes, lines, actions that fail the "no way" test, but overall I liked the originality and pace of the show. I watched it on a VHS tape, so I have no idea how the PQ was, but I would watch again."

When I first bought my Mitsu SVHS, they were $500, and I thought I was getting something with near 400 lines of resolution. Imagine my dissapointment when first recording movies/shows off of DirecTV - it really didn't look good at 65", and now 78". But, this machine has gotten a new lease on life after I recorded the s-video downconvert from my DTC-100 of Band of Brothers. While certainly not HD, and the original show was not HBO's best effort as far as PQ, the result was nothing less than stunning compared to any analog DTV or OTA recording.

Better yet, hook up a TIVO box to the s-video downconvert from your HD receiver. Again, not HD, but worlds better than VHS tape.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.