AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

If I have 24-bit/192KHz flac flies and want to stream to a receiver for listening which receiver will be able to play them? If the cost of a receiver that is able to play these is expensive do most receivers down res them to 24-96? I'm in the market for a new receiver (I'd like to keep the cost under 1K) and I'm lost with this one aspect of things.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by squigly1 /forum/post/20867498

Hi,

If I have 24-bit/192KHz flac flies and want to stream to a receiver for listening which receiver will be able to play them? If the cost of a receiver that is able to play these is expensive do most receivers down res them to 24-96? I'm in the market for a new receiver (I'd like to keep the cost under 1K) and I'm lost with this one aspect of things.

Thanks

Most receivers can accept 24/192 data streams. There are two problems though:

1. Some receivers cannot apply advanced processing, like room response correction or simulated listening modes (DPL, Neo) to 24/192 signal.

2. Many DAC chips used in receivers, have lower S/N and THD parameters when fed with 24/192 data streams, rather than 24/96.

So you will unlikely have any advantage from very high sample rate. I recommend to find good re-sampling tool and downsample all files to 24/96.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So things will sound worse if not down-sampled to 24/96? Is there a recommended re-sampling tool? If I streamed via something like a squeezebox touch could i get around having to down sample?

For receivers, I'm looking at Denon 3312/3311 or Onkyo NR-809

Thanks

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Best converter is from Sonic Studio. But it is part of expensive suite. For you free ffmpeg may be good enough. There are several other free converters available. You can try them all and choose one that sounds the best. Do not forget that there are many options in each converter which may influence the result.

As for receiver, both Demons are good. You may find better price on 3311 though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.