AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
don't know if this is the correct forum for this question, feel free to move it.. Bought a remastered 24 bit Hi-Definition audio cd. At least thats what the bright red sticker said on the cover of cd..Would I hear any difference in the music? Just upgraded my player to a NAD 542 ..thanks in advance

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
A Redbook CD is 16-bit. So there is no such thing as a 24-bit CD. What it probably means is that it was an original analog recording that was re-mastered at 24-bit and then noise shaped to a 16-bit for the CD.

This is a lot like many DVD's use the "from a 1080 Master ".

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will: thanks for clearing that up.. should sound good.. The cd is Vollenweider "White Winds".. When I get some free time
I will listen to it.. Matt

·
Registered
30,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 /forum/post/14263148

Will: thanks for clearing that up.. should sound good.. The cd is Vollenweider "White Winds".. When I get some free time
I will listen to it.. Matt

It is an older analog recording transferred/digitized. I remember enjoying it.........................way back when.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 /forum/post/14260064

don't know if this is the correct forum for this question, feel free to move it.. Bought a remastered 24 bit Hi-Definition audio cd. At least thats what the bright red sticker said on the cover of cd..Would I hear any difference in the music? Just upgraded my player to a NAD 542 ..thanks in advance

Not likely since it is "down-rezed" to 16bit for the CD.

What we really need is a simple stereo audio format that is 192khz/24bit on discs that play like CDs.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
most of these usually benefit from extra careful mastering etc so there may be some improvement

·
Registered
4,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold /forum/post/14265218

most of these usually benefit from extra careful mastering etc so there may be some improvement

Yeah, but most still participate in the dreaded "loudness" war. An earlier 16bit mastering often sounds better because of this.

·
Registered
30,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore /forum/post/14264221

Not likely since it is "down-rezed" to 16bit for the CD.

What we really need is a simple stereo audio format that is 192khz/24bit on discs that play like CDs.

SACD?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts