AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a great show! Too bad it isn't HD, but the 16:9 480p PQ ain't bad.

This show is even more exciting than "Alias". You get so wrapped up in its tense & intricate plot, the time just flies by.

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Darn,

Are they replaying on Fox on Fri or Sat again so we could get 480p wide? (Not on FX)

Disagree it's more exciting than Alias (personal opinion) but it is fast paced. 24 multi-screens remind me of Colossus: The Forbin Project.

Tim

·
Registered
6 Posts
I thought that "24" on Fox was broadcast in HD. Am I mistaken? It sure looked good on the San Francisco station.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rudolpht
Are they replaying on Fox on Fri or Sat again so we could get 480p wide? (Not on FX) Tim
Yes, 24 encores run on Fox on Friday evening in 480p widescreen.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Quote:
I thought that "24" on Fox was broadcast in HD. Am I mistaken? It sure looked good on the San Francisco station.
I guess this is why, and how, Fox claims most PeoPle can not tell the difference betwenn wide480P and HDTV....

I am beginning to wonder if that is not true..... maybe alot of PeoPle need glasses or we have better vision then most.

very discourageing

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by psarkisian
Fox does not do any HDTV. They do use widescreen 480p, also known as 16:9 EDTV (Extended Definition).

Just curious, do you have an HDTV?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by psarkisian
Curious to know, what is your current setp at home? What hardware are you using to watch HD et al?

·
Registered
887 Posts
tonyb100 - I also watch KTVU, the Bay Area Fox affiliate that broadcasts 24 in pristine 720p -

JustinCheckin I watch it in native 720p (Panasonic TU-DST51/Extron component->RGB/Marquee8500LC) and it looks great.

What is discouraging is that it's as good as much of the mediocre HBO "HD" stuff. If all HD were easily distinguishable from the excellent 720p upconverts from the Fox network 480p feed, we'd be much better off, because that would mean all the HD would be high-quality transfers (or not down-rezzed)! If all Fox affiliates did as good a job as KTVU does, then not quite so many people would be so vehemently anti-Fox, because it looks so good. Next time I'll see if I can't force my system to downconvert the 720p to 480p and see what happens (as an idea of what other Fox stations might be sending to many of the viewers here - those lucky enough not to get a 480i feed!!)

Andy

·
Registered
651 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm getting ready to go for the Samsung today.

Anyway, did you read Tim Goodman's SF Chronicle's article yesterday that 24 might be in jeopardy as it's losing viewers? It's in the Datebook section.

Also the thread about KRON losing signals that may take weeks to fix... Grrr!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JustinCheckin

Anyway, did you read Tim Goodman's SF Chronicle's article yesterday that 24 might be in jeopardy as it's losing viewers? It's in the Datebook section.
I saw that the ratings had slipped significantly each week. Although it looks unlikely, I really hope this show catches on as it is both innovative and captivating. In fact, this is the first prime time show that I have watched regularly in years.

·
Premium Member
Sony XBR-65A1E, Denon 3400, B&W
965 Posts
FOX is unhappy with the ratings for 24. I believe the numbers have been better for the Friday night encore than the Tuesday broadcast.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Wooderson
I think that NYPD Blue's audience dipped into 24's.
My sched is so full on Tuesdays this season it's crazy! Wednesdays as well. I wish they put more shows on the 7pm or 10pm slots to spread it out. Haha... wishful thinking.:D

·
Registered
189 Posts
It's true - the ratings for '24' have slipped each week. Too bad, for it is probably one of the top three new shows this season.

But let's be realistic: What did Fox expect, putting it up against the first hour of 'Frasier' and 'NYPD Blue'?? I hope they have the sense to move it to another day of the week.

My fear is that most viewers won't want to 'stay the course' for all 24 episodes. Most prime-time shows commit to 12 - 14 weeks of episodes with the rest as reruns. 24 new, original shows is quite a departure from that thinking.

The picture quality from WTXF-DT in Philly has been quite good. This is the 16x9 480p version, although I noticed the first episode (which I recorded to D-VHS) was in 4x3, not 16x9.

Truth be told, the number of new programs that are really different and well-produced are few this year. It appears "Thieves" has bitten the dust. I also understand that ratings for 'Alias' are also slipping (too bad, this show can also be fun to watch).

It would help a little if NBC put a few of their top-rated shows on in 1080i, such as 'West Wing' and 'ER". The three 'Law and Order' variations would be great in HD, too.

At least we still have 'CSI'.

Pete

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've noticed quite the opposite. Most shows that don't get cancelled or shelved during sweeps will run 22-24 new episodes per season, therefore they hit that magic 100th episode around the beginning of the 5th season (magical because that's when they can syndicate the show).

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete Putman
...Most prime-time shows commit to 12 - 14 weeks of episodes with the rest as reruns. 24 new, original shows is quite a departure from that thinking...

·
Registered
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tonyb100

I guess this is why, and how, Fox claims most PeoPle can not tell the difference betwenn wide480P and HDTV....

I am beginning to wonder if that is not true..... maybe alot of PeoPle need glasses or we have better vision then most.

very discourageing
I think where you can really tell the difference is with a larger screen TV. And, I suspect Fox, in the long run, will come around.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tonyb100

very discourageing
I agree that there are a lot of people especially people who are operating projection equipment in movie theaters, who have bad vision and refuse to get glasses. It's no wonder those people can't tell the differnce between 480p and 1080i, since everything to them is blurry.

To a person with normal vision the difference between 480p and even 720 p is like night and day.

Bernhard

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bb1987

I agree that there are a lot of people especially people who are operating projection equipment in movie theaters, who have bad vision and refuse to get glasses, which is why those movies are always out of focus. It's no wonder those people can't tell the differnce between 480p and 1080i, since everything to them is blurry.

To a person with normal vision the difference between 480p and even 720 p is like night and day.

Bernhard

·
Registered
734 Posts
As much as I like "24", it's no contest against "NYPD Blue". And even against Frasier, it might lose in my book.

Tuesday night at 9:00 PM is the toughest night of the week. "NYPD Blue" gets watched live in HD, it also gets TiVo-ed on one tuner (for backup, just in case something comes up and we can't watch live), "Frasier" gets TiVo-ed on the other tuner and "24" is relegated to being TiVo-ed in the bedroom, although TiVo has been picking up "24" on the Friday night rebroadcast.

Anytime we have a conflict, the HD program gets watched live, and the other one, well, that's what TiVo is for!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.