AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I installed Directv about a year ago, I bought a 24" dish with a dual LNB (yes .. its 24", not 18"). At that time I was told that the bigger dish would make alignment easier and that its performance in bad weather would also be "better".

The dish is working perfectly fine .. no complaints really ... the signals fed to my 2 Hughes boxes are strong and fine.

I am now considering the move to HDTV .. and I see that a 18"x24" oval dish is called for (to recv HBO HDTV from DirectV .. I already get regular HBO from them).

Does anyone know if my existing 24" round dish will do the job ?

What is it about the 18"x24" dish ?

Is it just that a wider dish is needed to catch the signals from 2 satellites .. or is it something else ?

Thanks in advance !

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Sankar,

My understanding is that the oval dish has two different focal points, if you will, each of which aims at it's own LNB. Two dishes in one, really. One part of the dish "sees" one satellite; one part "sees" the other.

Ray

------------------

FIGHT MPAA/SUPPORT EFF
http://www.eff.org/

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by brt3:
Sankar,

My understanding is that the oval dish has two different focal points, if you will, each of which aims at it's own LNB. Two dishes in one, really. One part of the dish "sees" one satellite; one part "sees" the other.

Ray

Actually, the oval/elliptical Direct Dish can see up to three satellites, I believe. As for the other post regarding the salepersons claim that the 24" dish makes aiming easier..not really true. As you increase dish size the beamwidth narrows making it more necessary to really pinpoint the signal. But gain is increased about 3dB over an 18" dish, which is a significant increase.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damn ! So it won't work ....

Yay ! I get to buy another toy !

Now if I were to buy a second 18" round dish, would that do the "job" ? i.e. I keep my 24" for the current 101 sat and add the other 18" for the 119 ? I would use the HD feed only on one of my TVs

.. of course, I guess I could just buy the elliptical and use it just for the 119 ? Would I need something like a diplexer to combine the 2 signals to one cable ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had too many trees for oval dish to see the 119. I added an 18" dish about 15' away for the 119. Used one of the dual LNB's from the oval dish. Connected to the 4X4 multiswitch that came with the oval dish. Works very well. If you have total choice there are several SD channels (NASA, BYU) that may help confirm that you have the 119.

John

·
Registered
16 Posts
Someone had suggested lowering the elevation by six degrees as a start. I did that and came over more to the west slowly until I could hear the signal strength beep. Since my spouse was out ot town and therefore no assistant, I opened a window and turned the volume up. Good luck.

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.