AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a round dish to get ExpressVu HD. The 18" round may be marginal in the rain from my location. I thought that a 24" round would give a stronger signal, but I can't find one for sale anywhere. Am I correct about signal strength (or is this overkill) and are they available? Thanks

[This message has been edited by sdf777 (edited 10-07-2001).]

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
 This might be what your looking for

They have 30", 36", and 40" dishes, no 24"ers though. Would a 24" eliptical dish work? You could just get a direcTV Plus dish.

Steve

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
What you need is a Dish Network Dish500 dish (with 1 single or dual LNBF) which is a 24" dish. That is what I use to get the HDNet from DirecTV (I am a dish subscriber to all else). The 18" dish I was using was getting me a lower 60's on the signal strength but when I put a Dish500 dish in it's place I got around 80 now on signal. The 18" dish is fine until you get any rain then rain fade is very quick to happen (with the low power satellite DirecTv has at 119). So all you would need is a Single or Dual LNBF (either a Dish or DirecTV LNBF will work) and the Dish500 itself. It doesn't matter that the Dish500 has the Y-adapter that is for two LNBF's, you just use one of them and adjust until you get a signal from the correct satellite. I'm not sure where ExpressVu's HD satellite is located but you still want to set the skew to what it's normally set to as each LNBF is positioned in a way that it is expected to be skewed somewhat for optimum signal strength.

------------------

------------------
My DVD/LD List My Equipment List

[This message has been edited by FrankS (edited 10-07-2001).]

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Quote:
You could just get a direcTV Plus dish.
Absolutely NOT true. For a SINGLE bird, the capture of the signal is actually marginally LESS than a properly aligned 18". An OVAL 24" built for three distinct focal points to optimize space is NOT the same as a 24"+ designed with one focal point.

------------------
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info - I think a 30" dish is overkill. I planning to go with DirecTV HD with a new 101 & 119 elliptical dish. I'll just use my current 18" 101 dish for the ExpressVu HD at 99 I think). For some reason I thought there was a round 24" dish. I know an 18" round is better than an elliptical 24" for one satellite.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Bob. Your link was exactly what I needed.

Steve

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
 Here's one more source of 24" and larger dishes.

I just got a 24" round to improve reception of HD from the Dish 148 sat. It helped alot, giving me a 4 point boost in signal and no more pixels.

------------------

-Roger

Analog -- Always out of adjustment.

Digital -- Always one more bug.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.