AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got two 120 gig drives installed (large cluster) in my Showstopper. Looking good! Recording everything in high quality now!! :D :D


Happy happy happy!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Glad to hear it!! How are the memory readings? Are they close to 100 or is the large cluster size giving lots more memory? I'm curious because I'm thinking about using 2 160gb drives in my replay and showstopper for maximum space.(I know it will only see 137gb on each drive)


Terry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by KenL
Mikeyboy what can I say? Congrats!


Just like KenL... always out there blazing a trail! :cool::cool:
Thanks KenL:D


Just between me and you - Where did you get the outfit? It's spectacular!! http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=139077
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikeyboy
Finally got two 120 gig drives installed (large cluster) in my Showstopper. Looking good! Recording everything in high quality now!! :D :D


Happy happy happy!!
80 hours at High quality! Schweet!


No if only I could justify to my fiance spending the money on 4 120gb drives....


-Scyber
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,686 Posts
Me, I'm still trying to scrape together the dosh to buy a pair of 100G drives for the new computer I'm building...


It just seems so hard to see clear to spend all that money on storage devices to facilitate watching TV, especially since we're about to hit the "nothing's on" season.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a little update on my Showstopper dual 120 maxtor upgrade. This thing runs great! It's 2/3 full of high quality recordings and the only fault I can find is a 1/2 - 1 second delay to remote input while a show is recording. Excellent!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by toots



It just seems so hard to see clear to spend all that money on storage devices to facilitate watching TV, especially since we're about to hit the "nothing's on" season.
Particularly since by the end of summer those drives will be 35 to 50% less expensive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
388 Posts
The 137GB limit keeps the total drive space from dual 160GB upgrades to 274GB or 280 hours so its not a quantum leap above Mikeyboy's 240GB. It's just a test of the practical limit of the legacy units. If this is stable, then we can use any combination of drives up to dual 160GB.


After one week, so far, so good. It has over 100 hours recorded and 273 hours scheduled. The memmeter is reading 207/218.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
388 Posts
Mikeyboy,


How many hours have you recorded and what is the current memmeter dsplay? I tried using the remote while recording to the 280 hr unit to try to replicate your problem but I saw no appreciable delay in the response.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by toots
Me, I'm still trying to scrape together the dosh to buy a pair of 100G drives for the new computer I'm building...


It just seems so hard to see clear to spend all that money on storage devices to facilitate watching TV, especially since we're about to hit the "nothing's on" season.
Now is the time to do it. You don't want to be caught short when the season starts in just a few months! Beside the Stargate SG-1 season starts in only a few days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Wasatch Rider



Now is the time to do it. You don't want to be caught short when the season starts in just a few months! Beside the Stargate SG-1 season starts in only a few days.
Where have you been Wasatch? Stargate's been broadcasting brand new episodes for the last 2 months. Technically they're still part of the previous season but they had never been shown before.


Also, since SG-1 episodes are only 45 min and once a week, what does one need extra hd capacity for? even if archiving them on the Replay?;) ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by pu82
Mikeyboy,


How many hours have you recorded and what is the current memmeter dsplay? I tried using the remote while recording to the 280 hr unit to try to replicate your problem but I saw no appreciable delay in the response.
That's good you don't experience any remote delay on your dual 160 setup. I have experienced little to no delay on another dual drive Showstopper with smaller drives. For whatever reason my showstopper has always responded slower with 2 drives connected but it is minimal. Single drive response is best with little or no remote delay.


223/265 memmeter, 39 replay channels, 41 recordings. 19 hours pause time remaining.


One thing to add, dual 160 Maxtors remote response is even worse in my Showstopper. I find it believable the slowdown is within my motherboard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You can put two drives however each drive can only access 137 gigs per drive. I think dual 120's are an excellent choice economically I.E. unless you think you will upgrade at some point to a replay 4000 which can use the whole 160 gigs each drive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
388 Posts
Mikeyboy,


In about a week, I'll be moving these drives to a Showstopper. I'm testing the unmodified showstopper now before I upgrade it. When I get the new brackets, I'll move everything into the showstopper and test it and see if the performance is degraded as you're seeing.
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top