AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a new Vizio 240HZ LED tv. Well, I went to Best Buy to purchase a 15.8Gbps bandwidth monster HDMI cable and the store rep said I didn't need it.

He said that my cable, which is by Time Warner, only pushes 60hz, so buying an expensive monster HDMI would not improve my picture. My question is what point is it in having a 240hz tv if I can only view at 60hz due to my cable service?

Should I still purhcase an HDMI cable? Is DirecTv or DishNetwork stronger? If so, will my picture quality be better?

I appreciate any feedback!

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
The Store rep provided you the right advice thus saved you from Wasting your money..

IE: The Cable Box sends out 1920x1080 @60hz through HDMI

Your New LCD-LED takes the 1920x1080 @60Hz from the Cable box and

upconverts it to 240Hz inside the Display, So the HDMI Cable only needs to pass

1920x1080p @60Hz not 240Hz...

If you Have A short Run for HDMI (1-3mt) Most Cheaper HDMI cable's from Blue-Jeans or Mono Price will be fine $$5-20 range..

Monster Cable is A rip off and you will see absolutely "Zero" improvement in picture quality from spending $5 or $400 on A monster HDMI cable...

Hope this Helps,

Cheers...

·
Registered
591 Posts
the point to having 240hz is only for those people that like that cardboard cutout effect. They are correct that any cable will work. the 240hz comes from the tv adding in extra frames giving itself longer to draw that frame ,so it will look sharper. you only get 60hz from almost every source. its basically a way for lcds to be able to keep up... by slowing things down. instead of frames 1 2 3 4 5, it goes 111222333444555. gotta love marketing.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
As BWDinc noted, the 240Hz is internal to the TV to supposedly minimize blurring on moving objects. It does this by extrapolating between adjacent 60Hz frames. There are no external 240Hz sources. The fastest source presently available is 60Hz, 1080p which is available from Blu Ray and some satellite channels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.