AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
10,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got this together the other day to replace a 3677 I was using as a center channel. I needed something that could fit under my screen and wanted something to that would match my left and right closer (4722 with 2452h-be). Very happy with how this came out, sounds great. I considered using the D2430k, but I like the 4" aquaplas and Be CDs better after comparing them back to back.

I'm running this full active driven by a pair of NC400s using brutefir for processing with filters from FIR Designer and an RME fireface UFX+ interface. Keeping the noise floor low was a challenge, but the good interface plus a 12db pad from an autoformer worked well. I compared the 4722s with the network driven by my AVR to running with the active setup and the active config actually ended up quieter.

My build on left, 3677 right.

Dialed in response averaged around listening position

guts, 3636 autoformer and 100uf cap

bracing and damping

CD w/ spacer

"Rough" eq/xover, will refine this later.... 1/48 smoothing with 35 cycle window.

time aligned step response and impulse. Some room interaction here. I wanted to measure this outside, but winter and snow had different ideas.

linear phase

native response of 2453h-sl on stx825 w/ spacer. There's a bit of a gnarly dip/phase issue without it.

All components without any EQ

impedance

in place

Finally got some off axis measurements of something using the same waveguide.

·
Registered
19,829 Posts
Very nice! How much did this cost? I wish you tried out the DIYSG BA-750 and SEOS 18 guide. It would be interesting to compare nonetheless.

·
Registered
10,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Very nice! How much did this cost? I wish you tried out the DIYSG BA-750 and SEOS 18 guide. It would be interesting to compare nonetheless.
Haven't tried them. Cost was about $900 for the woofer, cd, waveguide, cap, transformer, wood, paint, etc. The JBL bits came from speakerex.com

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I forgot you used the 2265 woofer. I, for some reason, thought you used the 22??(2216?) Whatever the M2 woofer was. Anyways everything looks great.

·
Registered
10,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking good nyt. Have a summed response? This is a 4" diaphragm? Nice top end if it is!
Yep, 4" CD, ti+aquaplas. I"ll be messing with it and taking more measurements when I get some time again. I still have to start the filters for the l+r

·
Registered
10,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This looks familiar. I think another guy had a thread with a similar build. :D Any plans to make speakers similar to, but larger than, your custom center to replace the 4722Ns? I followed your build thread and the center speaker looks quite nice.
I made this thread just for the speaker, since the other thread has a mass of content. I don't see a need to replace the 4722s at this time. The LF section is great and the 2384 gets the job done well. They're the right size for what I want there. I just need someone to buy this 3677 now so it can stop taking up space lol.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I made this thread just for the speaker, since the other thread has a mass of content. I don't see a need to replace the 4722s at this time. The LF section is great and the 2384 gets the job done well. They're the right size for what I want there. I just need someone to buy this 3677 now so it can stop taking up space lol.
So do your L+R 4722's have Be compression driver upgrades? (did I read that right?). If so, how much of an upgrade over the stock 4722 do you percieve?

I was also wondering why you didn't go with a 2384 horn on something like a Be loaded 2447 or 2446 crossed below 1,000hz?

·
Registered
10,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So do your L+R 4722's have Be compression driver upgrades? (did I read that right?). If so, how much of an upgrade over the stock 4722 do you percieve?

I was also wondering why you didn't go with a 2384 horn on something like a Be loaded 2447 or 2446 crossed below 1,000hz?
Yes, I'm running 2452H-SL with the diaphragms replaced with BeX4008 on the 4722s. The 2453H-SL sounds quite similar. They're both a good upgrade over the 2432h, with the Be being better. For a center channel, I didn't feel there was a need for a Be CD. For music, it's worth it. My front stage is now fully active and the center matches the L&R much better.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Yes, I'm running 2452H-SL with the diaphragms replaced with BeX4008 on the 4722s. The 2453H-SL sounds quite similar. They're both a good upgrade over the 2432h, with the Be being better. For a center channel, I didn't feel there was a need for a Be CD. For music, it's worth it. My front stage is now fully active and the center matches the L&R much better.
Are the JBL 2452 and 2453 better than the JBL 2446 or 2447?

·
Registered
10,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Are the JBL 2452 and 2453 better than the JBL 2446 or 2447?
haven't heard or tested the 2446 or 2447. the 2447 would be the 1.5" throat and the one I'd try first.

maybe at some point I'll try the 2450 and 2447 just to compare

I think the phase plug in the 2452 is newer and helps the upper frequency range compared to the others. The 2450 is down 20db from 10khz to 20kHz.

·
Registered
19,829 Posts
I like my 2447 better than the 2446 I had. It does drop off around 15-16khz in the 2352 horn I have. The trade off is it can extend down to 500-600hz.

·
Registered
10,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I liked your original finish, but I must say, this came out great. OEM quality for sure. Nice work!
Original finish? I only had one on there... It was really hard to photograph in this room. I bounced a flash off my projector... this is the finish in better light..

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Original finish? I only had one on there... It was really hard to photograph in this room. I bounced a flash off my projector... this is the finish in better light..

Your first "test spray" in the other thread that had more texture. You weren't pleased with it and posted this:

It was a little too rough. I couldn't get an even coat. I knocked it down a bit and went at it some more.

things I've learned spraying duratex:

1) mix with water
2) don't use a filter in your gun
3) every little seam is going to show.
4) Clean your gun and pot quickly.

If you ever doubt the protective power of duratex, just let it sit in your pot a bit.

I'll hopefully get the final coat on tomorrow. Once dry I'll mount up the electronics then let it cure a bit. Hopefully I'll have it fully assembled middle of next week.

·
Registered
10,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Your first "test spray" in the other thread that had more texture. You weren't pleased with it and posted this:
Oh this finish I had/have on the back? It was spraying very dry and there was a lot of 'air' in the finish. Fairly easy to recreate, just spray lots of coats without mixing as much water as I ended up using. The pictures didn't really show it very well. It would have been one of those impossible to clean finishes. I ended up blocking it down a bit and spraying more over it...

I think this pic is a little better representing how it was...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts