AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say I have a gaming computer that I watch Blu-rays on. Like most videophiles, I want to watch my Blu-rays at a native 24p. But what if I also game on that same HTPC? I don't want my games to run at 24 fps.....how do people do it? Do they manually switch before each task? That seems like a bit much, but how do you do it so the video card (ATi 5770) outputs based on the source you need it to output?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,132 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
537 Posts
Wouldn't it be nice if TMT3 changed refresh rates when it detected a 24fps video source? Set the pc to 60hz for everything, and when a movie is played in 24, automatically switch itself to that refresh rate. Since the vast majority of things that need to be played in 24hz should be able to be played in TMT3, it would be ideal!


Note to developers... get on that! lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,056 Posts
The best thing is if your TV can natively detect a 3:2 cadence and pull down to 24p.


That way you leave your PC at 59.97 so video and film content come out okay and let the TV figure out how to display it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
Put pulldown isn't as good as native 24p surely?


Couldn't a batch file be written to call the ATI profile to switch to 24hz, run TMT3 then switch back afterwards? Assuming you only use TMT for 24hz playback of course?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,749 Posts
What Sotti was saying was that if your TV has the ability to user IVTC(Inverse Telecine) processing to extract native 24fps source content from 1080i/60, 720p or 1080source then then it can use a feature such as 5:5 pulldown to display the same frame of the origional 24fps film source the same number of times on a 120Hz display.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraggermcg /forum/post/18235496


Put pulldown isn't as good as native 24p surely?


Couldn't a batch file be written to call the ATI profile to switch to 24hz, run TMT3 then switch back afterwards? Assuming you only use TMT for 24hz playback of course?

It would be easy to make it switch to 24Hz, its switching back that would be tough. You would have to have something monitor events and execute another command upon the termination of the TMT process.


I have thought about doing it this way as well.


Using Mediabrowser configure BD media to launch BD.bat which would set the 24Hz ATI profile then launch TMT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraggermcg /forum/post/18235496


Put pulldown isn't as good as native 24p surely?


Couldn't a batch file be written to call the ATI profile to switch to 24hz, run TMT3 then switch back afterwards? Assuming you only use TMT for 24hz playback of course?

why not?


if I have 3 blue cards and 2 red cards surely you could determine how to pick out one of each. And having one of each is not different at all from having 1 of each given to you.


It's not like we are resampling or doing interpolation on the data.


We are simply discarding duplicates.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
Follow up thought with this method however is that I think some DVDs are 24fps (while some are 29fps such as "Monster Squad - 1987" so using reclock and fps detection would be better to detect the material and adjust it accordingly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZAJ /forum/post/18236366


Follow up thought with this method however is that I think some DVDs are 24fps (while some are 29fps such as "Monster Squad - 1987" so using reclock and fps detection would be better to detect the material and adjust it accordingly.

If the material is 29hz, then it's already perfect for being played back at 59hz (119hz), simply double the fps and you're done.


Honest to god guys, the best way to handle it is to have a TV that is smart enough to figure it out.


Aside from that yeah an overlay mode that takes exclusive control of the refresh rate and re-syncs to what you are asking for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/18236530


If the material is 29hz, then it's already perfect for being played back at 59hz (119hz), simply double the fps and you're done.


Honest to god guys, the best way to handle it is to have a TV that is smart enough to figure it out.


Aside from that yeah an overlay mode that takes exclusive control of the refresh rate and re-syncs to what you are asking for.

Yes I know if it is 29Hz it is perfect for 59Hz, what I was trying to allude to is that if you use batch files you have to specify by media type not just program as opening TMT for DVD's would require a different refresh rate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
537 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18234070


What is the native resolution and refresh rate of your computer's display?

1920 x 1080. 60hz and supports 24hz. I game on it at 60hz and I want to watch Blu-rays at 24hz.


I play movies through MPC-HC and I game on this HTPC as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,749 Posts
When you are sending 1080p/24 to the display is the slow frame rate obvious by the speed at which the cursor and other objects in PC desktop applications move on the screen.

Even movie theaters do not display 24fps content at 24fps since their projectors have 48hz shutters and each 24fps frame is therfore displayed twice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18252161


When you are sending 1080p/24 to the display is the slow frame rate obvious by the speed at which the cursor and other objects in PC desktop applications move on the screen.

Even movie theaters do not display 24fps content at 24fps since their projectors have 48hz shutters and each 24fps frame is therfore displayed twice.

From my experience, when the display card changes to 24p the cursor and all related OS functions are noticeably slower and often jumpy. That is why switching to 24p only when needed is a big benefit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18252161


When you are sending 1080p/24 to the display is the slow frame rate obvious by the speed at which the cursor and other objects in PC desktop applications move on the screen.

Even movie theaters do not display 24fps content at 24fps since their projectors have 48hz shutters and each 24fps frame is therfore displayed twice.

?? MANY displays have native 24p settings. They don't display at 48hz.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
283 Posts
It's very important to has the auto refresh changer, and I know some of players/MC can do that:

1) XBMC

2) mediaportal

3) MPC-HC (doesn't work with MadVR)

4) home made batch script based on mediainfo



Sadly none of commercial BD players support this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
I just started using Re-clock and am very impressed with it. Automatically changes rate in conjunction with display changer and smooths and I am using it with MPC-HC and Cyberlink PDVD7. Thanks renethx
 
1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Top