AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching the forums for awhile and I haven't found a definitive answer on this -- what is the best way to get my 4850 to play 24 fps without sound sync or the laggy mouse problems? Is it possible?

And finally, is there a test disc to test this?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm using an ATI 4670 and I simply set the refresh rate in the

Catalyst Control Center to "23hz" (which I suppose equates to 23.976) and I have no problems on my Epson 1080UB projector

at 1920x1080 24p.

It "passes through" an Onkyo 876 AV receiver on the way.

I do use the ATI DVI to HDMI adaptor at the video card output.

·
Registered
206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurisu2 /forum/post/16955689

I've been searching the forums for awhile and I haven't found a definitive answer on this -- what is the best way to get my 4850 to play 24 fps without sound sync or the laggy mouse problems? Is it possible?

Uhh the 4850 can eat HD video for lunch. If you're getting performance problems, the issue is with something else:

1. Your CPU.

2. Your memory.

3. Your storage.

4. Any of the two dozen pieces of software involved in playing your 24p source material.

·
Registered
658 Posts

Quote:

RTFM.... I have had perfect 24 fps on a 4670, 4850, 4870 & 4890 in single and crossfire configurations. Set the refresh rate to 24 HZ. If you can't get it to work you have other bottlenecks in your setup. It would be helpful if you posted what mbo, OS, etc... you don't provide any useful info for diagnostic purposes.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Kurisu2 as a consolation I understand what you are saying. Everytime I select 24p the mouse and everything feels very slow. Image transitions (loging in, firing up vmc) makes my oc'ed quad behave like a pentium 1 and my 8gb of ram like a 8mb stick. Movies plays fine though. It appears as if 24fps is too slow for windows. 50hz flies, 24hz s o o o o s l o w. I tried different systems, oses, graphics cards, memory, cpu, mobos result is exactly the same, pc/gfx power doesn't matter.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts

Quote:

...or the laggy mouse problems? Is it possible?

You won't get rid of this. Everything in Windows will feel laggy when using 24Hz. The only thing that works in 24Hz are videos that are recorded at 24 Hz. 50Hz and 60Hz material will be horrible at 24Hz - much, much worse than a 24Hz source running at 60Hz.

Basically, you have to turn on 24Hz when wanting to watch a 24Hz source, and leave it on 60Hz when not. This is the challenge people work on - getting their HTPC to automatically change the refresh rate based off the source of the video playing. It's possible with a combination of several programs, but tricky.

I haven't bothered with trying to figure it out myself because I get audio out-of-sync issues like you mentioned and I haven't felt like taking the time to deal with it because I'm not seeing major 3:2 pulldown issues that warrant me to take the time to get 24Hz working.

·
Registered
103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo162 /forum/post/16957524

I'm using an ATI 4670 and I simply set the refresh rate in the

Catalyst Control Center to "23hz" (which I suppose equates to 23.976) and I have no problems on my Epson 1080UB projector

at 1920x1080 24p.

It "passes through" an Onkyo 876 AV receiver on the way.

I do use the ATI DVI to HDMI adaptor at the video card output.

Hello there, if you don't mind which OS and Catalyst version? Thanks. Are u using a second monitor as well?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I've 4850 -> Xonar HDAV -> 1080i plasma (#1 display) and 1080P PJ (#2 display) using 23Hz/30i in 9.7 CCC for my 1080P PJ/1080i plasma. Playing BD without problem using TMT3.

I hear you guys and yes other than playing BD it is not so smooth and color of the desktop is a bit artificial...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, spent some time on it last night and this morning, here's my findings. I have been using Batman Begins Bluray as my test disc... And maybe that was the mistake. Seems like its audio goes in and out of sync at 24hz. But Dark Knight is perfect at 24hz. All I had to do is switch the refresh rate to 24hz in Catalyst, and it works. The problem was with Batman Begins. Weird.

Just fort the benefit of others -- make sure that you select "limited RGB" in the "Pixel Format" dialog, otherwise you'll be sending out PC levels (0-255) when most TVs are expecting TV levels (16-235). See this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...72538&page=205

I then tested using the AVSHD 709 test disk, burned a DVD in bluray format (the patched version, which powerdvd doesn't like, but Arcsoft is fine with), and I used the mp4 HD file as well.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

I then checked black and white levels using all my players (MPC-HC, PowerDVD). Before the "limited RGB" correction I would get very different levels depending if I was using AVIVO hardware acceleration or software acceleration. Changing to "limited RGB" seems to set everything (desktop, software, hardware acceleration) to the same black and white levels.

Finally everything is working the way it should be.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
720p - You definitely need it for bluray. I'm not sure if "limited RGB" affects desktop -- desktop always had correct black and white levels for me (tested with: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post5413832 )

You could always check for yourself using the calibration disks for your bluray player, the mp4 file for your mkv/avi player, and the screens for your desktop.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, scratch that -- there's still one problem. MPC-HC isn't giving the correct RGB limited values when it uses hardware acceleration. It's fine when it uses software acceleration. But it's not sending out expanded values, it's sending everything darker. So weird. Anyway, I'll work on this and report back.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurisu2 /forum/post/16960083

Just fort the benefit of others -- make sure that you select "limited RGB" in the "Pixel Format" dialog, otherwise you'll be sending out PC levels (0-255) when most TVs are expecting TV levels (16-235).

Kurisu2,

I don't recall I did set it to "Limited RGB". Will check and report tonight. thanks for the info.

·
Registered
206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurisu2 /forum/post/16960355

Okay, scratch that -- there's still one problem. MPC-HC isn't giving the correct RGB limited values when it uses hardware acceleration. It's fine when it uses software acceleration. But it's not sending out expanded values, it's sending everything darker. So weird. Anyway, I'll work on this and report back.

If you're using EVR and this is Vista, Microsoft made an undocumented change that broke black levels on a few video players. In MPC-HC, you can fix it with a pixel shader option.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@merzbow - thanks, that's good to know. I couldn't seem to get the pixel shader to work, but I think I did the same thing by adjusting the brightness and contrast in Avivo. So I have to go to Avivo Video settings in Catalyst whenever I use MPC-HC, and turn it off for bluray.

Do you think this is doing the same thing, or am I somehow losing some information this way?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And now, to top it all off, if I change back to 4:4:4 pixel mode in Catalyst (that is, not the "limited RGB") and I restart, there is NO change in the black levels or white levels in Arcsoft or Powerdvd. So basically everything works at whatever pixel mode (except for the above problem with MPC-HC and EVR, which is still sending darker images).

I don't get it. So maybe the lesson is: check your levels with everything you use, and then check them every once in awhile just in case.

·
Registered
206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurisu2 /forum/post/16961406

And now, to top it all off, if I change back to 4:4:4 pixel mode in Catalyst (that is, not the "limited RGB") and I restart, there is NO change in the black levels or white levels in Arcsoft or Powerdvd. So basically everything works at whatever pixel mode (except for the above problem with MPC-HC and EVR, which is still sending darker images).

I don't get it. So maybe the lesson is: check your levels with everything you use, and then check them every once in awhile just in case.

Yes, the problem will only show up in MPC-HC and EVR (and related apps like MediaPortal with EVR, although the MediaPortal devs have a fix out now), everything else will be fine. Messing with brightness/contrast in the control panel is the wrong way to fix it. I don't understand why enabling the pixel shader option isn't working, it does for me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@merzbow: which pixel shader option? I got the pixel shaders working, but the 16-235 -> 0-255 shader doesn't do help with the black levels. Everything is too dark.

Incidentally, for some reason the CCC pixel options are working again. I have it set to RGB 4:4:4 (limited RGB). My TV (Pio 6020FD) is set to RGB 16-235 mode and everything works like a charm. Bluray playback is at the correct level, and the mp4 test patterns are played back mostly correct in Arcsoft and Powerdvd (they must not be using EVR).

So, how to get the levels correct using EVR, without changing the Avivo Video brightness to 16 and Contrast to 87-ish?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One more thing -- I CAN get correct black and white levels in MPC-HC by switching render mode to "system default." But then I can't get subtitles, or DXVA, so this is only a interim solution.

Hrm, I realize that this thread got derailed into a luminance question. Sorry about that. Should I create a brand new thread?

·
Registered
25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axell /forum/post/16959856

Hello there, if you don't mind which OS and Catalyst version? Thanks. Are u using a second monitor as well?

Hi Axell,

I'm using Vista home-basic SP1 and Catalyst 8.12

Yes, I use saved Catalyst profiles switched via hot-keys

and also by remote control (Logitech 890>USB-UIRT>EventGhost) to switch between three displays:

primary monitor=Samsung 305T @2560x1600 60hz

theater projector=Epson 1080UB @1920x1080 "23hz"

small Samsung LCD in theater (for music playlists) @1600x1200 60hz (this one is actually connected to my onkyo 876's HDMI Sub output)

I'm using ZoomPlayer for HD video playback (MKV & FLAC), and the ATI 4670 streams the multichannel FLAC perfectly to the Onkyo 876 over a 25 foot HDMI cable (Monoprice).

I love ZoomPlayer's media library feature that allows me to view/select via remote any movie in my collection instantly from a nice looking/easy to read list.

I made "shortcuts" to all of my MKV files and put them all in a single folder so that they all show up in the list at once, very cool.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts