AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
My understanding is that basically all of Spinal Tap was improvised, they just had a basic outline of each scene, not a script.

So if that's true, there's at least a couple of Spinal Tap scenes that I'd consider to be better than most of the scenes in that clip, such as the "But this one goes to 11" scene and the "Books on tape read by people with the same name as the author" scene and the "as long as there's still sex and drugs, I can live without the rock-n-roll" scene.

The problem with this question is that even though I know that I've heard of several improvised scenes that were really good, that info hasn't stuck, so I can't remember what they were.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Learning that the "bigger boat" line, one of the greatest lines in movie history, was an improvisation -- well, my admiration for the late Roy Scheider just went up even more.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
"Warriors . . . come out to play." Classic!

"Like tears in the rain"

Blade Runner had philosophical lines in it "the light that burns twice as bright burns half as long." Nice to see that Hauer was really into his part to improvise that line

·
Registered
1,791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart /forum/post/20834857

"Warriors . . . come out to play." Classic!

"Like tears in the rain"

Blade Runner had philosophical lines in it "the light that burns twice as bright burns half as long." Nice to see that Hauer was really into his part to improvise that line

Yep, and what's his name even made up his own language for the film!

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Director Francis Coppola said Marlon Brando improvised the scene in The Godfather where Don Corleone carves make-believe fangs out of a section of orange peel to amuse his grandchild in the role of a "monster". Naturally, the child is truly frightened for the moment and Brando/Corleone apologizes and comforts the child by picking him up and hugging him. It's one of the most fully realized improvisations of a character's central dilemma in any movie; the family man who behaved like a monster for the sake of his family even as that behavior endangered them too.

Muerte de don corleone (el padrino)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-Fjc-CKwB8

At the 1:45 mark; In the scene where Lawrence thinks he's alone after having been given new Arab garb and a "new" identity, Director David Lean apparently told Peter O'Toole to simply do something a young man in this situation might do. The business with the knife was his improvisation.

Lawrence Of Arabia - (Movie Clip) A Great Hero
http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/2...reat-Hero.html

(P.S. - we can never be 100% sure of any of these not having been planned or rehearsed. For instance, the producer of Midnight Cowboy has gone on record saying there was nothing improvised about that taxi cab scene with Dustin Hoffman. They hired an actor to drive the cab, rehearsed it and blocked it out precisely for the camera in advance. He doesn't have any idea why Hoffman would say otherwise except that he just must have forgotten)

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
I used to work with an audio engineer (JT) when I was in college, who in turn used to work in movies. He told me once that he got to work on National Lampoon's Vacation, and that the scene where Clark Griswold (Chevy Chase) stops his new car for the first tank of gas when they start their trip was mostly improvised by Chevy. It's the scene where he can't find the gas tank inlet in the car and he's kind of poking around aimlessly with the nozzle, and the lady with her kid stops on the other side of the pump and he sees them lower the license plate (ah, the 1970's
). So he grabs his license plate and pulls hard, and ends up flinging it over the pump and hitting the lady's car. JT claims that no one was expecting him to fling the license plate, so of course everybody on the set started laughing including the camera operator, and if you watch the scene closely there is a little bit of camera movement that doesn't seem intentional, but it could just be my imagination. It definitely plays out like a very improvised scene, though.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally, at the Coney Island confrontation at the end of the film, actor David Patrick Kelly wanted to use two dead pigeons but Hill did not think that would work.[1] Kelly used three bottles instead and improvised his famous line, "Waaaaariors, come out to plaaaay". Kelly was influenced by a man he knew in downtown New York who would make fun of him.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Warriors_(film )

Interesting article/interview with the cast of The Warriors

http://www.thefader.com/2005/10/03/new-york-mythology/

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Brando again. And Eva Marie Saint. This time in his other Oscar winning role as Terry Malloy in the great On the Waterfront. And Saint's Oscar winning role as"Edie".

There is some question about whether Eva Marie Saint accidentally dropped her glove in an earlier take and Brando picked it up and fiddled with it and that what we see him (and her) do with it in the final version was a subsequent take where they'd had time to give it more thought. But her dropping the glove and him picking it up and doing what he did with it apparently wasn't in the script and what we see is their improvisation.

Terry and Edie's scene in On the Waterfront
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHtJUWO7yeA

His keeping the glove was not only a way for "Terry" to keep "Edie" from excusing herself and walking away, but the fact that she doesn't insist on him giving it back right away indicates she wants to stay with him longer.

And, of course, "Terry" was a boxer years earlier and what does Brando do with the glove? He puts it on like boxers do with gloves. But this is a girl's glove. He shows us the "gentle" side of a boxer not the least bit uncomfortable about putting on this girl's glove.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.