AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to consolidate my amps to make room for a custom cabinet and looking for a 7 channel amp that is > 250 per channel preferably in black to match my current components and a B&K Ref 50. Any suggestions as this item is hard to find?

TIA

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Why 250W?!? That is REALLY pushing the limits of a single chassis. I don't even know if it exists. Theta Dreadnought? Most companies would be struggling to put 200Wx7 and there are very few of those. I don't believe B&K's 200W/ch amp can do that much simultaneously. Remember, you're looking for a 1750W amplifier. 1400W is a lot and it's pushing it. What speakers do you have that are this inefficient?!? I'm driving 7 86dB efficient speaker off of a 6x100W NAD receiver with my rears temporarily in parallel and it will drive me out of the room without breaking a sweat. I would think it would take a digital switching amp of some kind to put out that much power without a total meltdown or regularly blowing circuit breakers. You'd need a 30amp circuit, I believe!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I thought and thought and cannot think of a single reason why you would need an amp that does more then 250 as a minimum, so please enlighten us with the mysterious reason? If you get a 250 amp in 7 channels, then you pretty much eliminate all the top end one's by virtue of they don't make that large with that many channels, and I see why with Krells 3 channel being 6600, so 7 would be about 12,200 and most woudln't pay for it, but if you go mid fi you still aren't going to get more then 250 in hardly any of them, but I have to know why this huge minimum.

The ATI is a good amp, and with 3db of headroom, at 300wpc, you have almost double that in reserve.

One more funny detail; your title has less then 250wpc simple and your post has the exact opposite, so this could be all based on a mistake, but either way one is not what you meant.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
You can never get too much clean power. Headroom, damping factor and slew rate are all things that change if an amp clips due to limited reserve. Yes, one could get by with the 100X7 Outlaw, but if one is using satellites thirsting for 500 watts continuous like the M&K Pro MPS-250 then more power is needed.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I currently have a 2-channel NAD 218 THX and a 5-channel Sony ES driving Paradigm Studio 100s V.3 and a Paradigm CC-570. Please forgive me, I'm just trying to upgrade my amps to something that is efficient and has headroom. My philosphy is/was if I could fine an amp w/ those specs it would have plent of headroom and also efficient. That is/was where I'm going w/ the question. Again thanks for the replys and keep them coming as I have $$ to spend on a new nice amp!

TIA

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
So much for it needing to be a Black amp I guess. As the Sunfire is kind of a very dark silver gray, more than it is black. But even so, I forgot all about the Sunfire Cinema Seven Signature, being 400 watts, otherwise I would have mentioned it before with the ATI and ADCOM.

Sunfire amps are very good with music. others may or may not agree with that. But then again some of the others don't seem to understand the reasons for more than 250 watts either! As it certainly is not just a issue of having just raw power, it's much more than that.

Govnah

You reasons for wanting a amp with this kind of power are all true, good and valid reasons.

Your reasons ARE the right reasons.

So don't let anyone try and tell you that they are not!

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
400 watts of raw power, I am imagining what that would do for my ego, I mean walls :)

·
Registered
565 Posts
I have the Adcom GFA-7807 300x7 and it is awsome. I was torn between that and the Sunfire Cinema 7 sig. Kris mentioned but I liked the sound of the Adcom better. It's like having 7 mono amps in one chassis.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hometheaterguy
400 watts of raw power, I am imagining what that would do for my ego, I mean walls :)
I guess I should not tell you how my Carver 1.5t 2 channel amp, and my Klipsch LaScala's sound with that kind of power then.

High power + high efficiency 104dB horn speakers, what a match for being louder than most....;)

Actually the Carver 1.5t does a little bit better than that even though it's "only" 350 watts long term, but it's 600 watts short term. (for a second or so). And no peaks I ever tried, seemed to went past it's short term power limit for me. Trust me, as I tried MANY times in the mid 80's to blow either the amp or the speakers, and I never did. And they both still work fine to this day for me.

But now I no longer party like I did in the days of old, and try to blow them up either...;)

Oh I still like playing things loud now and then, just not THAT loud anymore.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Salutes John. If its too loud their too old.

·
Premium Member
12,486 Posts
So far the Sunfire sounds great with music. I have no complaints at all. I was using the Krell Showcase 7 channel amp before. The only significant difference I have noticed between the two is in the low end. The Krell had an extremelly robust low end. The Sunfire does extremelly well in this area but I would have to give the edge to the Krell.

An amp I would take a good long look at is the ATI 2007 or 3007. At that price and being FULLY balanced, that is just a killer deal. While they may not sport the pleasing aesthetics of the Krell or Sunfire, they seem to have it where it counts the most.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hometheaterguy
Salutes John. If its too loud their too old.
Or, I'm too old....

The funny thing is, the music from the 70's and 80's still sounds better loud, than anything that is being put out now.

I wonder why that is......;)

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Quote:
The funny thing is, the music from the 70's and 80's still sounds better loud, than anything that is being put out now.

I wonder why that is......
I haven't heard a nicely recorded mainstream album in years. I'm not talking about music preferences, I'm talking about the tons of compression found in today's recordings. Ugghhh!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.