AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I'm looking at spending $2500 on a pair of floorstanding speakers and around $500 for the receiver. I'm okay with open box. I'm looking for a killer deal. I'm HOPING to be able to buy a nice pair on sale or open box to really get the best bang for my buck, but I really don't know where to start. There are a million different high-end brands, most I haven't even heard of.

I will be using these speakers solely for movies (although I would still like them to be able to be used for music once in a blue moon). I would like them to have strong bass since I won't be able to hook up my sub until I move in a few months.

Current setup:
KEF Q100s
Dayton Audio 18" Reference DIY sub
Sony STRDH770
I will eventually incorporate these into my setup (minus the receiver, I will get a new receiver).

What are my best options?
In terms of receivers, are this year's releases anything spectacular to hold my breath for?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Hey guys!

I'm looking at spending $2500 on a pair of floorstanding speakers and around $500 for the receiver. I'm okay with open box. I'm looking for a killer deal. I'm HOPING to be able to buy a nice pair on sale or open box to really get the best bang for my buck, but I really don't know where to start. There are a million different high-end brands, most I haven't even heard of.

I will be using these speakers solely for movies (although I would still like them to be able to be used for music once in a blue moon). I would like them to have strong bass since I won't be able to hook up my sub until I move in a few months.

Current setup:

KEF Q100s

Dayton Audio 18" Reference DIY sub

Sony STRDH770

I will eventually incorporate these into my setup (minus the receiver, I will get a new receiver).

What are my best options?

In terms of receivers, are this year's releases anything spectacular to hold my breath for?
For movies, focus on center channel and subs.

How big is the room and how far do you sit from the screen.?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For movies, focus on center channel and subs.

How big is the room and how far do you sit from the screen.?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I've attached photos of the room. Definitely a work in progress lol
From the couch to the TV is probably 8-10 feet. The TV is 65".
I will be moving in a few months and want to be able to utilize the setup when I move. I have no idea what the dimensions of that room will be.

In that case, I'd like to get nice floorstanding speakers + a center channel. My KEF Q100s and sub are not part of my home theater setup at the moment but will be when I move.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Well, if you like your Q100s, then why not look at Kef?

·
Registered
17,003 Posts
Hey guys!

I'm looking at spending $2500 on a pair of floorstanding speakers and around $500 for the receiver. I'm okay with open box. I'm looking for a killer deal.
Then look no further: JBL Studio 590, on sale for $459 apiece from jbl.com with free return shipping.

Order a 3rd and lay it on its side as your center, or go with an Emotiva C2+ for another $400 shipped, done.

Or, if you like super loud volumes, the PSA MTM-210T would fit your budget.

Reactions: spyboy and bear123

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, if you like your Q100s, then why not look at Kef?
I wouldn't mind going with KEF, but does uniformity serve any benefit (besides aesthetic appeal?

I'm really just looking for recommendations on floorstanding speakers that will knock my socks off, and a center channel if necessary.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Then look no further: JBL Studio 590, on sale for $459 apiece from jbl.com with free return shipping.

Order a 3rd and lay it on its side as your center, or go with an Emotiva C2+ for another $400 shipped, done.

Or, if you like super loud volumes, the PSA MTM-210T would fit your budget.
I like it! I know I may sound crazy for saying this, but are there any fantastic deals in a higher price range? I wouldn't mind paying $1,000 per speaker, especially when it usually costs $1,800 and its miles ahead of the $500 speaker.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
7,746 Posts
Zorba's suggestion of the JBL 590's will be very difficult to beat, way under budget, and leave plenty of room for a Denon X3500, 3600, or 3700 depending on how much you want to spend. All three will be fantastically capable AVR's that will deliver superb sound quality, good power, excellent room correction and excellent dual subwoofer capability.

·
Registered
233 Posts
You may also check Focal and Even Sonus Faber at your price point.

At least if you buy from a retailer you may have a 30 day trial.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hetfieldjames

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You may also check Focal and Even Sonus Faber at your price point.

At least if you buy from a retailer you may have a 30 day trial.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason no one is mentioning Klipsch? I oftentimes see many bundle deals, are they not worth the price?

Zorba's suggestion of the JBL 590's will be very difficult to beat, way under budget, and leave plenty of room for a Denon X3500, 3600, or 3700 depending on how much you want to spend. All three will be fantastically capable AVR's that will deliver superb sound quality, good power, excellent room correction and excellent dual subwoofer capability.
They definitely look like an amazing deal, I was just hoping to spent enough such that I won't have the temptation to upgrade in five years. I suppose a good question is: do other speakers at a similar retail price as the JBL 590's, for instance the KEF Q950, come more recommended than the 590's? I'm trying to understand why they are on such a hefty sale, perhaps they don't sell as well because they don't perform up to par with other speakers in the same price range?

Here's a ridiculous idea that I thought I'd throw out there. Not sure if it's possible since I already work full time, but what if I decided to work part-time at Best Buy for a month and utilize my employee discount to get the B&W 703's for $1300 each. Is this just crazy?

·
Registered
17,003 Posts
I like it! I know I may sound crazy for saying this, but are there any fantastic deals in a higher price range? I wouldn't mind paying $1,000 per speaker, especially when it usually costs $1,800 and its miles ahead of the $500 speaker.
The 590s' regular price is $1K apiece, so you're already getting almost 60% off.

Much higher priced speakers don't go on such massive discounts...the only exception I can think of would be the Polk LSi-M towers from Adorama, but those deals are long gone and may not ever return since Polk has discontinued that model line.

Since you say you're doing zero music, spending a lot more money won't get you anything signficant other than ability to play at ear-splitting "reference" volumes (85db and up) like the PSA & JTR speakers, or pretty cabinets (like SVS Ultras which never go on sale like the JBLs).

·
Registered
17,003 Posts
Not sure if it's possible since I already work full time, but what if I decided to work part-time at Best Buy for a month and utilize my employee discount to get the B&W 703's for $1300 each. Is this just crazy?
You'd just be paying for the pretty cabinets and brand name cachet...B&Ws are nothing special for HT, much better suited for music use.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The 590s' regular price is $1K apiece, so you're already getting almost 60% off.

Much higher priced speakers don't go on such massive discounts...the only exception I can think of would be the Polk LSi-M towers from Adorama, but those deals are long gone and may not ever return since Polk has discontinued that model line.

Since you say you're doing zero music, spending a lot more money won't get you anything signficant other than ability to play at ear-splitting "reference" volumes (85db and up) like the PSA & JTR speakers, or pretty cabinets (like SVS Ultras which never go on sale like the JBLs).
I've heard rumblings about the Polk Legend line receiving large discounts soon.

Reactions: Panson

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Let's say I retracted my statement about not wanting to utilize them for music, because I do listen to a lot of music but I hadn't really considered utilizing a home theater setup for that purpose (reading your posts has got me thinking), are the JBL 590's still a good fit for a dual purpose use case such as this? I can't imagine people would use two different setups, one for music and one for home theater.
You'd just be paying for the pretty cabinets and brand name cachet...B&Ws are nothing special for HT, much better suited for music use.
Are these overrated/not on par with other speakers in the same price range?

·
Registered
17,003 Posts
Let's say I retracted my statement about not wanting to utilize them for music, because I do listen to a lot of music but I hadn't really considered utilizing a home theater setup for that purpose (reading your posts has got me thinking), are the JBL 590's still a good fit for a dual purpose use case such as this? I can't imagine people would use two different setups, one for music and one for home theater.

Are these overrated/not on par with other speakers in the same price range?
Yes, for B&W money I can think of any number of far better options, esp. for home theater use like the PSAs.

The JBLs do well for both music and movies. Ask @Gary Mertz, who recently went through an exhaustive multi-speaker tryout process and ended up with them.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Out of curiosity, is there a reason no one is mentioning Klipsch? I oftentimes see many bundle deals, are they not worth the price?

They definitely look like an amazing deal, I was just hoping to spent enough such that I won't have the temptation to upgrade in five years. I suppose a good question is: do other speakers at a similar retail price as the JBL 590's, for instance the KEF Q950, come more recommended than the 590's? I'm trying to understand why they are on such a hefty sale, perhaps they don't sell as well because they don't perform up to par with other speakers in the same price range?

Here's a ridiculous idea that I thought I'd throw out there. Not sure if it's possible since I already work full time, but what if I decided to work part-time at Best Buy for a month and utilize my employee discount to get the B&W 703's for $1300 each. Is this just crazy?

Klipsch is not a bad choice for Home Theatre with movies. I can't speak specifically on Klipsch because I have not owned them before but they are known to be forward or direct. Lively. The horn could cause fatigue for longer music listening from what I understand. Bright is another characteristic I have heard. I have heard the RPM 600s and surprisingly I enjoyed them.

Not for everyone, but they have quite a following.

What I would tell you is there is no substitute for your own judgment. You're ears and room should give you what you are looking for in regard to sound and speakers that you enjoy.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, for B&W money I can think of any number of far better options, esp. for home theater use like the PSAs.

The JBLs do well for both music and movies. Ask @Gary Mertz, who recently went through an exhaustive multi-speaker tryout process and ended up with them.
Well I think I'm sold on the JBLs. Just two final questions:
1. Are they often on sale at discounts like this or is this pretty rare?
2. The only thing that bugs me is that there are only two woofers, where many floorstanding speakers who retail at $1000 have three. Are these two woofers simply much higher quality/better sounding?

Klipsch is not a bad choice for Home Theatre with movies. I can't speak specifically on Klipsch because I have not owned them before but they are know to be forward or direct. Lively. The horn could cause fatigue for longer music listening from what I understand.

Not for everyone, but they have quite a following.

What I would tell you is there is no substitute for your own judgment. You're ears and room should give you what you are looking for in regard to sound and speakers that you enjoy.

Sound advice!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts