AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
9,316 Posts
I initially forgot that I had the carpenter cut some vents into my cabinet to help the AVR, so I don't want to cover those up. I've got about 11.5" from the first vent to the forward face of the countertop, plus I'm ok with an overhang of an extra 1" or so.

View attachment 3048442
View attachment 3048444
Get yourself a fan to help with the exhaust.

Amazon.com: AC Infinity AIRCOM S7, Quiet Cooling Fan System 12" Top-Exhaust for Receivers, Amps, DVR, AV Cabinet Components: Electronics

In addition, the center channel should sit on small rubber feet, to isolate it from the cabinet (don't want any nasty resonances muddying the sound). The feet will also allow you to "cover" the holes in the cabinet and still allow airflow.

Now you can go with a deeper speaker without affecting the receiver's venting.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #82 (Edited)
Get yourself a fan to help with the exhaust.

Amazon.com: AC Infinity AIRCOM S7, Quiet Cooling Fan System 12" Top-Exhaust for Receivers, Amps, DVR, AV Cabinet Components: Electronics

In addition, the center channel should sit on small rubber feet, to isolate it from the cabinet (don't want any nasty resonances muddying the sound). The feet will also allow you to "cover" the holes in the cabinet and still allow airflow.
Good point, I did make a mental note that I'd want some feet to improve the performance of the center, I wasn't connecting the dots that it would also free up the exhaust airflow from underneath.

Thanks for the link to the fan, it was another item on my checklist.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Q Acoustics similar to JBL has weak/mediocre centers, although the Concept center is reportedly better than the 3090i center despite sharing the same lousy 4" woofer size. The Concept 40 are more neutral than the 3090i so they'd be better for music.

Canton Chrono gets very good feedback on these forums, you just need to be ok with having a difficult return policy for non-defective returns when buying from accessories4less

Infinity Ref is an outstanding bargain when found on sale and would be great for HT/TV. For music, they are widely reported as having strong treble (although not the ear-bleeding type) as opposed to the Emotiva and Wharfedale.
Thanks for the tip on Q, the Concept was already a stretch in price, so maybe not worth the gamble on the center. I'd purchased from A4L previously, but only a receiver (my current x1200w) which isn't really as subject to personal preference as speakers would be, are there no other US dealers?

I'll look into the Infinity towers a bit more for music. It seems these are on sale regularly, what price is the "pull the trigger" target there?

·
Registered
19,084 Posts
I'll look into the Infinity towers a bit more for music. It seems these are on sale regularly, what price is the "pull the trigger" target there?
Last time they went on sale I think they were $300 apiece...not quite as low as pre-covid, when they were closer to $200 each around Nov-Dec 2019, iirc.

·
Registered
604 Posts
The Triangle Borea BR08 sound great and have good bass until you get the sub. You could go with a Triangle center or a HSU CCB-8 or another option. You will have great sound for stereo listening and get the center cranked up for movies. You got lots of options and have been given good ones from many people.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
@Zorba922 Just curious about the differences between the WD Evo vs Diamond series. I see the Diamond 11.5 is lacking the AMT tweeter, but upsizes the cabinet and woofers to 8". Is there something that makes them less compelling than the Evo line?

·
Registered
19,084 Posts
@Zorba922 Just curious about the differences between the WD Evo vs Diamond series. I see the Diamond 11.5 is lacking the AMT tweeter, but upsizes the cabinet and woofers to 8". Is there something that makes them less compelling than the Evo line?
The main difference is the AMT tweeter, which will offer better detail and extension in the treble. If your main usage is HT not music, I'd get the Diamond series but I'd get an Emotiva C1+ or C2+ because the Wharfedale Diamond center is not so great.

Reactions: flvinny521

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #88 (Edited)
I'm purchasing the JBL 590s and Infinity 263s today, both of which should reach me next week. I'm still considering the Emotiva T2+ or HTD Level Three Towers, but without the free return shipping, I'm going to test out these two first.

Again, my use will be split fairly equally between music and movies, and from what I've read, it sounds like I'm going to prefer the JBLs for music and Infinitys for movies. Since I won't have the others to hear directly, how would they compare relatively? I'm other words, "if you like the JBL, but your wife hates the way they look, buy the Level Threes."

I do think the HTD set looks the nicest aesthetically.

Thanks again @Zorba922 , @guitarjim , @RayGuy and @sigpig

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Are the Aperion Audio Novus towers something worth trying out with the JBL and Infinity? Are these 4 ohm as in "don't try turning them above whisper levels with a receiver" or Emotiva's "scare you into buying our amp but in reality a receiver is fine?" Looks like I can also return them for free and the specs fit my general requirements.

·
Registered
19,084 Posts
Are the Aperion Audio Novus towers something worth trying out with the JBL and Infinity? Are these 4 ohm as in "don't try turning them above whisper levels with a receiver" or Emotiva's "scare you into buying our amp but in reality a receiver is fine?" Looks like I can also return them for free and the specs fit my general requirements.
I haven't heard the Aperions myself but from the user feedback I've seen, only their Verus series is really good albeit quite pricey. They seem to follow the SVS and Def Tech method of using pretty cabinets to justify inflated pricing which means you get mediocre bang for the buck compared to stuff like Emotiva, Chane, JBL or Infinity.

For instance, those $700 apiece Novus towers are just 37lbs...ominously light for a TOWER, let alone one which costs $1400/pr. In comparison, the $1K/pr Emotiva T2+ is 57lbs each and JBL 590s are 70lbs each. With speakers, subs, and receivers/amps, weight is often a reliable indicator of hardware quality.

·
Registered
116 Posts
looks like you’ve already ordered but if not this would make a nice system in gloss white that wouldn’t be too much over budget. I’d do two of the the subs.

the 596.2 are outstanding sounding and a great price with the free included 556.2 center speaker. I have the gloss black but they only have white in stock now. But the white would look great in your room.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #92 (Edited)
looks like you’ve already ordered but if not this would make a nice system in gloss white that wouldn’t be too much over budget. I’d do two of the the subs.

the 596.2 are outstanding sounding and a great price with the free included 556.2 center speaker. I have the gloss black but they only have white in stock now. But the white would look great in your room.

We actually discussed these a bit earlier in the thread, but since I'm not exactly sure what type of sound signature I'm looking for, and I don't have the ability to easily return towers to A4L, I decided to start with the other options for now. Based on my experience with them and my wife's reaction to the size and design, I'll decide whether to keep one or return both and look at something else. So far, that list may include the Emo T2+, HTD Level Three, and maybe the Chrono should be added back to the list. My wife is also a fan of Apple products, so I'm sure white speakers would be up her alley, but I'm not sure I can drop $2k on the front three.

Chane was ruled out because their center will be too tall and block a few inches of my TV.

·
Registered
116 Posts
We actually discussed these a bit earlier in the thread, but since I'm not exactly sure what type of sound signature I'm looking for, and I don't have the ability to easily return towers to A4L, I decided to start with the other options for now. Based on my experience with them and my wife's reaction to the size and design, I'll decide whether to keep one or return both and look at something else. So far, that list may include the Emo T2+, HTD Level Three, and maybe the Chrono should be added back to the list. My wife is also a fan of Apple products, so I'm sure white speakers would be up her alley.

Chane was ruled out because their center will be too tall and block a few inches of my TV.
depending where you are in FL, A4L is in the Orlando area. Might help with exchanges. Regards and good luck.

·
Registered
19,084 Posts
We actually discussed these a bit earlier in the thread, but since I'm not exactly sure what type of sound signature I'm looking for, and I don't have the ability to easily return towers to A4L, I decided to start with the other options for now. Based on my experience with them and my wife's reaction to the size and design, I'll decide whether to keep one or return both and look at something else. So far, that list may include the Emo T2+, HTD Level Three, and maybe the Chrono should be added back to the list. My wife is also a fan of Apple products, so I'm sure white speakers would be up her alley, but I'm not sure I can drop $2k on the front three.
You might want to give the RSL CG5/CG25 series a try mainly because they come in white, plus have free return shipping.

HTD's free return shipping doesn't apply to its towers, but you can always try out their bookshelves and/or center first, and add more from there if you like them.

JBL does provide free returns on all of their speakers, so if you are ok with their Darth Vader looks, the on-sale Studio 570/590 are certainly worth a shot.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
You might want to give the RSL CG5/CG25 series a try mainly because they come in white, plus have free return shipping.

HTD's free return shipping doesn't apply to its towers, but you can always try out their bookshelves and/or center first, and add more from there if you like them.

JBL does provide free returns on all of their speakers, so if you are ok with their Darth Vader looks, the on-sale Studio 570/590 are certainly worth a shot.
The JBL's and Infinitys should be here mid-week next week, although I really expect to like the JBL's, especially for music, I really would prefer to match everything for aesthetics. Even though they're pretty plain looking, I can see being tempted to return both of those and go for the T2+, to be complemented later with the center and surrounds.

I really think I want to stick with towers since I know it will take some convincing to get my wife on board with subwoofers in this space, especially with the layout concerns we have. However, she just left to bring the kids to the beach for a little while, and I rearranged the sectional in a way that brings it closer to the TV and widens it, meaning there is room for a console table directly behind the couch, and possibly room for subwoofers underneath the table on either side. I know it's not optimal, but probably the best I'll get away with.

The RSL in - ceilings are definitely the front-runner for Atmos duties down the road.

·
Registered
7,720 Posts
I'm really not sure why we're beating around the bush with entry-level JBLs, Infinitys, and Emotivas if aesthetics are a concern in this room. These are all function over form designs to keep costs down. Form typically gets addressed more as the budget increases, such as with the ELAC DFR52 (but also better drivers, cabinet construction, etc). However I would take any of those over the Boreas based on the much smoother listening window measurements. The RSL suggestions have me scratching my head if you want meaningful bass :unsure:

I love your house although I wouldn't put my theater in such a large room. Sorry to sound like a contrarian, but I've been through a few setups. I'll be interested to read what you think of the incoming speakers. They are good budget choices that have benefited from years of engineering experience and I'd pick them before the Emotivas or HTD's.

I would eventually move up to a Denon X3000 series receiver at a minimum.

·
Registered
19,084 Posts
All that space for towers...
I would recommend looking at the Wharfedale Evo 4.3 or 4.4 if you wanted some nice white towers with clear but non-fatiguing AMT tweeters which would be a very safe bet in a room with so many hard surfaces, but they would kill your $2500 budget. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
I'm really not sure why we're beating around the bush with entry-level JBLs, Infinitys, and Emotivas if aesthetics are a concern in this room. These are all function over form designs to keep costs down. Form typically gets addressed more as the budget increases, such as with the ELAC DFR52 (but also better drivers, cabinet construction, etc). However I would take any of those over the Boreas based on the much smoother listening window measurements. The RSL suggestions have me scratching my head if you want meaningful bass :unsure:

I love your house although I wouldn't put my theater in such a large room. Sorry to sound like a contrarian, but I've been through a few setups. I'll be interested to read what you think of the incoming speakers. They are good budget choices that have benefited from years of engineering experience and I'd pick them before the Emotivas or HTD's.

I would eventually move up to a Denon X3000 series receiver at a minimum.
Honestly, it was a stretch just to get my wife on board at the current price point. There are two possible outcomes here: first, she hates the speakers' appearance and I'll have some nicer options to show her and explain that it will require us to increase the budget, or she'll decide that sticking to the current budget is more important and she can live with the utilitarian looks of these budget options. In the meantime, I've never had any real speakers in this home, so at least the demo will give me some ideas of what I like or don't like.

From what I have read of the Debut Reference line, I'd probably need to invest in a higher end receiver more quickly, based on reports of them having a significant performance disparity between cheaper and more expensive amplification. However, I am keeping a few step-up options in mind in case any of them pop up as Black Friday deals, and maybe these should be on that list.

I think @Zorba922 focused on my recent post that my wife likes white electronics (she's always been a fan of Apple), but I don't think it's a necessity. I would prefer to stay away from a glossy white speaker personally, but I'll have some options just in case she is absolutely against all the others we've discussed and I need an ace in the hole.

I would recommend looking at the Wharfedale Evo 4.3 or 4.4 if you wanted some nice white towers with clear but non-fatiguing AMT tweeters which would be a very safe bet in a room with so many hard surfaces, but they would kill your $2500 budget. :)
The Evos are definitely one I'm keeping an eye on in case of any sales or my wife rejecting the black monstrosities on their way, but I think we'd go for the walnut finish. I would also have to go with the two-way center because the nicer one is too tall.

81 - 100 of 159 Posts