AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a budget of around $2500 for the 5 speakers of the 5.1 system, I already have a Sub in mind (SVS PB13 Ultra or PB12-plus) that are not a part of the $2500 budget. I am powering the speakers with the Onkyo 1007 per all of your wonderful reviews and reports. I plan on adding heights in the future, but not including these in the budget either. My needs:

1) movies (bluray via ps3)

2) music (I'm a musician and love to listen like i am there)

3) HDTV (love me some football/hockey/rugby/curling....i dont really care, it's in HD )

3) large viewing area (19x20 with 15 foot vaulted ceilings) i know it's not ideal and will probably make a "theater" once we finish the basement, but I would like the system to fill what i have now)

I've been eyeing the polk RTi a9's with CSiA'6 centers and A3 rear surrounds, as they seem to fit the budget almost perfectly. What other setups should I be looking to audition? Im not sure how many high end speakers I will actually get to listen to, as I just moved to the milwaukee area and am still looking for places with quality stuffs, the local Bestbuys are driving any bargains today.

Your input is appreciated in advance.

·
Registered
872 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Polk Lsi 15's (frot towers) seem to be nice, with some lsi 9's (surrounds) and lsi C (center) would be close to the budget and the reviews seem to be incredible!

any of you guys have experience with these? i believe teh lsi 15s are 4ohm speakers, would the onkyo 1007 have any issues with those?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Go audition all of the mentioned above... many are store brands (Paradigm, B&W, Klipsch, Polk... and so on) all make very nice stuff but have their very own sound... some I like and you may not and vica versa... they only way to buy is to buy what suits your ears.. not the ears of others.

Do a search on auditioning techniques it'll help you a lot and it's a lot of fun finding out and experiencing characteristics of different speakers.

·
Registered
872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggernick /forum/post/18229042

The Polk Lsi 15's (frot towers) seem to be nice, with some lsi 9's (surrounds) and lsi C (center) would be close to the budget and the reviews seem to be incredible!

any of you guys have experience with these? i believe teh lsi 15s are 4ohm speakers, would the onkyo 1007 have any issues with those?

They are incredibly hard to drive and power hungry. Not worth spending the extra money on a additional stand-alone 5 channel amp to power them. Too many other great sounding easy to drive speakers out there.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornhulio /forum/post/18230003

They are incredibly hard to drive and power hungry. Not worth spending the extra money on a additional stand-alone 5 channel amp to power them. Too many other great sounding easy to drive speakers out there.

They are ALL power hungry or just the lsi 15s? I could run the lsi 9's and center on the onkyo 1007 and the lsi 15's on a seperate amp, ya?

·
Registered
872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggernick /forum/post/18230656

They are ALL power hungry or just the lsi 15s? I could run the lsi 9's and center on the onkyo 1007 and the lsi 15's on a seperate amp, ya?

You can but why bother when there are so many efficient speakers out there that sound as good or better than the LSIs. With your kind of budget you have many possibilities and for music the chances of you choosing the right speaker for your taste without a lot of careful listening/auditioning with your own music is slim.

·
Registered
752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggernick /forum/post/18211541

I have a budget of around $2500 for the 5 speakers of the 5.1 system, I already have a Sub in mind (SVS PB13 Ultra or PB12-plus) that are not a part of the $2500 budget. I am powering the speakers with the Onkyo 1007 per all of your wonderful reviews and reports. I plan on adding heights in the future, but not including these in the budget either. My needs:

1) movies (bluray via ps3)

2) music (I'm a musician and love to listen like i am there)

3) HDTV (love me some football/hockey/rugby/curling....i dont really care, it's in HD )

3) large viewing area (19x20 with 15 foot vaulted ceilings) i know it's not ideal and will probably make a "theater" once we finish the basement, but I would like the system to fill what i have now)

I've been eyeing the polk RTi a9's with CSiA'6 centers and A3 rear surrounds, as they seem to fit the budget almost perfectly. What other setups should I be looking to audition? Im not sure how many high end speakers I will actually get to listen to, as I just moved to the milwaukee area and am still looking for places with quality stuffs, the local Bestbuys are driving any bargains today.

Your input is appreciated in advance.

Usual suspects... B&W, Monitor Audio, Paradigm, PSB, Energy...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts